Something Random

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Yeah there's a lot of sweet hardware that would do well with F@H, however they are far more strict on what random apps may be running here, compared to my last job where I had carte blanche. Almost every little change has to go thru change control.

We are in the design stages of a new data center, currently we are in the basement of an old motel (lots of flushing toilets above), plus we can't get any more power in, and cooling can get a little on the dicey side during hot summer days. New servers are nice and compact, but the power density is a killer. The new place will probably have dual 1.5MW generators.

paugie

Storage is cool
My son found it for me on an internet Bike forum. He's the bike nut who's converted half the church's youth to this new "religion".

My daughter coughed up the cash. (something like USD60)

Now I'm the owner of a simple bicycle (all aluminum, or alloy, parts) which I plan to use to up my physical fitness after 15 years of sedentary lifestyle. The knees seem to be up to it after a very short shakedown run. The arms on the handlebars are still a bit wobbly but after maybe a week or two, I'll be more confident and just a wee bit stronger.

ddrueding

Fixture
Exercise is punishment for having done something wrong.

I disagree. Exercise is a price that needs to be paid for certain pleasurable pursuits. I enjoy outdoor photography and sailing. These require a fair amount of the stuff. Pretty much everything I enjoy with a significant other requires a fairly strenuous work-out. ;)

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I disagree. Exercise is a price that needs to be paid for certain pleasurable pursuits. I enjoy outdoor photography and sailing. These require a fair amount of the stuff. Pretty much everything I enjoy with a significant other requires a fairly strenuous work-out. ;)

You could've saved a lot of typing with a single sentence.
"I am a masochist."

Mercutio

Yesterday I went and did some work for a wealthy man I know. His current SO is apparently someone I apparently should have known from several years of high school choir classes - a very pretty woman a year younger than me, someone who, a few years before, had been a model. Someone who should've made an impression. I worked in this man's home for over an hour while she talked to me about people and events I "should" remember, even broke out yearbook photos (as a rule, I skipped those, too). She went from being ecstatic to see me to increasingly frustrated that I don't have some kind of fond memories of that time.

I moved between middle school and high school and therefore did not know anyone when I got there. And I was in nerd classes with the nerdy people who already had their social cliques set; two choir classes a day and my one year of PE were the only time I saw "regular" people. I had two hours of music lessons every day after school and did tons of homework. I ate lunches with my ex and there's one guy I remember from choir (who now runs the Starbucks four blocks from my apartment). And I remember our one black guy. 'Cause he was the one black guy. 1600 people and that's all I remember.

I don't even remember ever having crushes on girls; I didn't think it was worthwhile to hope for anything.

Every once in a while, I run into someone who says they remember me from high school and I feel like a jerk because I never know any of them. So I guess the thing that bothers me is that I spent four years with those people and basically none of them even made an impression on me. I remember teachers and lectures and doing recitals, concerts and music contests and the like, but not anything about the people. I wonder what that says about me.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
narcissisitc? j/k

BTW, I don't remember having crushes on any girls in college. Too busy doing my own thing and not willing to slow down.

paugie

Storage is cool
I am going to ask my son to take a pic of me now.

Then after three months or some other period of time, I'll have another pic taken and I'll see if an improvement has been made.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
My son could alternate between that shirt and the one that says "Keep out of Direct Sunlight"

Bozo :joker:

Mercutio

I think it's supposed to be "Keep away from evil day-star", actually.

Paugie, don't tell us you are getting a picture taken unless you are showing us the picture.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I find it mildly amusing that the orange "EXTREME INDOOR ENTHUSIAST" shirt is OEM and the shirt with the NewEgg symbol is retail. :)

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Well, they only seem to offer the "EXTREME INDOOR ENTHUSIAST" shirt in XL.

Too big for someone who would wear the shirt ironically.

Too small for someone who would wear the shirt seriously.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Feeling quite old right now. GF&I went for a 6-mile walk yesterday, and today I am too sore to go to class.
Old isn't the word. Wimp is. I used to walk 5 miles to go to work (5 miles up, 5 miles down) some eight years ago, during winter and on snow covered streets. I could understand feeling sore after a 6 miles jog (but only if you aren't in shape at all) or a 60 miles walk. But walking 6 puny miles at the pace of a woman, that I cannot conceive.

Either you lied to us and you weight +300 pounds, you have a backbone disease or your have flat feet. If all three scenarios are false, then I order you to stand up and stop being a dishonor to the male gender. Be a man!

ddrueding

Fixture
Well, if you are giving me room for excuses...I do have a fractured right kneecap (sailing) and most of the cartilage is missing from the left (also sailing). My right hip makes a most annoying clicking sound after the first few miles (rock climbing), and my lower back has a cracked vertebrae as well (more sailing).

So, I'm broken. :shrug: My GF jokes that I'm out of warranty.

paugie

Storage is cool
Methinks you just had a bad day. It sometimes happens.

You say you dance on a regular basis, that should mean you are in better shape than I am. It could also mean that your GF is in better shape than you.

Which sometimes also happens.

Handruin

Administrator
Coug, you sound like my parents...walking through 6 miles of snow to get to school and a frozen day.

I have flat feet...fully confirmed by my doc years ago. Though it hasn't caused me any issues running and I still do it 3 to 4 times a week.

Mercutio

I've had four people ask me to fix their blackberry today. And I am including a panic-call that I got at 2:30AM in that.

It's NATIONAL NEWS that Blackberry's network is screwed up today but apparently there are people who think that 1. I know something about blackberrys to begin with and 2. I can wave a magic wand and make them work.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
but apparently there are people who think that 1. I know something about blackberrys to begin with and 2. I can wave a magic wand and make them work.

Merc, no offense, that sounds like my work day. Just because I'm a sysadmin/hardware tech I can recovery data off a dead harddrive due to a blown PCB that's damaged the drive mechanism, and do it all in 5mins onsite... And they don't have *any* backup, nor disaster recovery plan. That's what I'm for. I'm good, but not some f**king magician.

ddrueding

Fixture
IT is all about magic. When I'm called in to work on something, they don't know what it is and when I'm done they don't want to know what it was. They provide a possible symptom and say "fix it". That's why we can charge the money we do. Plumbers, mechanics, and doctors don't have it so easy...

paugie

Storage is cool
So, I'm broken. :shrug: My GF jokes that I'm out of warranty.
I just had a thought.

I remembered when I was 18 years younger, that I used to run 48kms/week.

My friends invited me to a game of tennis. Since I was taught by my father to swat a few balls from the time I was 9 years old, I thought, this would be easy.

I was dismayed to find myself out of breath after only a few rallies.

Which only goes to show, you may be fit (as I was) but if your body isn't into the sort of exertion you ask of it, you may find yourself gasping for breath.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I used to run cross country and track in high school. I was running 40+ miles a week, so I think I was in pretty good shape. But, I had swimming in high school gym class and after 25m of swimming full speed I was completely out of breath (more so than after running a couple miles). It probably had something to do with my terrible form, but it always has astounded me that I could run a sub 5 minute mile pretty easily, but couldn't swim 25m without gasping for air.

Mercutio

Running is only for when things are chasing you.

And hopefully, those things are the slow kind of living dead. Because if they are '28 Days Later'-Fast zombies, I will be zombie-chow.

I can walk all day and not get tired. I will complain and be cranky, but I can certainly do it. I usually do a six hour stretch for the "Relay for Life" cancer walk, which my ex somehow talks me into doing. That is my annual exercise. Since exercise is clearly punishment for doing something wrong, the cancer walk is like my passover where all my sins are forgiven.

I like to pretend that the middle aged cancer survivors are the living dead, since I figure that zombies are the only thing that would actually make me want to walk somewhere that is not a specific destination starting or ending with my car.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
After a 3 month hiatus, I finally starting jogging again . . . 2.5 miles used to be easier. Hopefully in the next couple weeks I'll be back where I was, and in a few months, reach my goal of 10 miles.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
I don't think I've run in a couple of years. I would get tired and need a nap if I walked a couple of miles.

BTW Merc, the passover was a death sentence for the wicked. It was the tenth plague. Probably more apropos. :D