Something Random

ddrueding

Fixture
I can't handle this not having work to do. I don't have any contracting work scheduled until June, and my teaching schedule is more-or-less clear as well.

I slept 34 of the last 48 hours.

No idea how I'm going to make it through next week. :(

I could probably set up some consulting for you via RDC if you really want more work...An exchange migration perhaps?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
So, apparently, the guy who shot up that mall in Kansas today?
One of the guys he killed was a cop.
Someone who almost certainly had a gun.

Concealed carry does what, again?

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
So, apparently, the guy who shot up that mall in Kansas today?
One of the guys he killed was a cop.
Someone who almost certainly had a gun.

Concealed carry does what, again?

a) The cop was shot in the arm whilst performing a traffic stop on the suspect.

b) He returned fire, taking out the windows in the car.

c) He's still alive.

d) He wasn't in the mall.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Depressing? If this is only remotely close to what will happen, I'm game over. My market will disappear along with my little income. Imagine computer components costing twice as much as they cost nowadays. No one will buy them. And I don't have the finances to survive another blow. I'm already on the edge, with little to no chance to give myself a margin in the foreseable future.

I'm done. The only difference between me and the others is that I'm aware of it and I won't be surprised when it will strike. I'm just waiting for it to happen.

You made my day. Thanks.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I can't handle this not having work to do. I don't have any contracting work scheduled until June, and my teaching schedule is more-or-less clear as well.

I slept 34 of the last 48 hours.

No idea how I'm going to make it through next week. :(

Well, to punish yourself you could do some exercise.

Mercutio

Travel sucks.

How much do I not like going places?
Well, I ran out of food early last week.

I chose not to eat an evening meal for four days until I got around to making a trip to the store. I didn't want to go out to get restaurant food, I didn't feel like buying groceries because that would've meant going out.

Also:

I moved two years ago.
I went to a Verizon retail location to cancel my telephone service and my DSL.

A couple months later, I noticed they were still billing me. I called and canceled again.

Today I noticed that I'm still being billed for DSL. $38 a month. Still.
At this point, I haven't been using the service for two entire years and I have canceled twice. The CSR I talked to can't find any record of my EVER having Verizon service. He can't even explain why I'd be billed for ANYTHING. I have been on hold now for 40 minutes. I am slightly pissed off.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I really don't understand your disdain for going places or traveling. Have you ever been on a vacation? When you were a kid doesn't count.

Mercutio

I've never had a vacation, no. If I take time off work it's really because I want to go work some other place and/or have absolutely nothing else to do.

The only place I really feel comfortable is at home. Other places lead to greater or lesser levels of anxiety. Sometimes that is bearable. Sometimes it isn't.

The stuff I like to do lends itself to just parking in a chair someplace. I don't need to go somewhere else to read a book or be online or listen to music (live music, in my experience, is usually ruined by some jackass having a coughing fit). To me, it doesn't make sense to go through the hassle of going somewhere else to do those things.

I really think that if I went somewhere, I'd suffer for it. I'd resent the time taken to travel and I'd feel intense pressure to do things I am not really comfortable with in the name of the "specialness" of the experience then feel guilty if I didn't do "special" things. And if I'm not doing "special" things, why go in the first place?

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Because Tony could use your computer help at the shop.

Someone who never uses Nvidia working with someone who never uses anything else ... could be interesting.

Merc, I suspect you need to go cold turkey. No computers, email or internet. Four days away, ideally somewhere picturesque, would do it. And I use the feathery term deliberately.

Mercutio

I don't think I could lower myself to Tannin's standards.

And being without the internet for four days would be very painful. I could do it if I had enough things to read, but I don't really see the point in doing so.

Mercutio

Humor is less funny when you have to explain it.

The picture is a map that describes various social-web destinations on the internet as nations, according to their relative size. There are some humorous but accurate geographic notations (e.g. "Noob Sea", suggesting that the reason that some of those nations are so large is 'cause that's where inexperienced or clueless internet users wind up. Note that Myspace, Lineage (a game popular in Korea), World of Warcraft and AOL all border the Noob Sea, while popular blogging destinations like Livejournal are in the Bay of Angst.

Meanwhile, in the Bay of Trolls, I got sponsored for a TotalFark subscription yesterday.

The power to waste time there is simply astonishing.

Mercutio

Howell, that article seems to indicate that the nerdly INTP beyond college-age has zero chance of finding a girlfriend.

ddrueding

Fixture
Howell, that article seems to indicate that the nerdly INTP beyond college-age has zero chance of finding a girlfriend.

I didn't see that. I saw an article that doesn't describe how beyond college-age geeks find girlfriends. Considering that was not the objective of the article, I don't find this surprising.

Mercutio

"If you can't find a girlfriend at college and at your age, you'll NEVER be able to find one. "

-- not a positive sign

Mercutio

The women in my office have once again added me to their "Pictures of Hot Dudes" mailing list. I know they E-mail each other pictures of chippendale dancers or whatever and frankly I don't care as long as I don't have to see them, but on Friday my E-mail address got added to the list somehow, and now there are mostly if not completely naked guys in messages in my inbox.
Not too big a deal, since I have gone ahead and turned off image viewing on my graphical mail clients. Also, the ladies think it is hysterical that I have seen emails full of dudes, as my complaints to be removed have been incorporated into new messages that have more wangs in them.

Now, however, I want revenge.

Two thoughts come to mind:
Either a whole bunch of pictures from a Google Image Search for "Genital Warts" (don't do it. You will be sorry.)
or
Changing the default wallpaper on all company computers to a picture from Wickedweasel.com (skimpiest swimwear known to man).

Mercutio

HR department?
Seven employees. Six women. Five of them are on the pictures list plus a bunch of my boss's friends and various other womenfolk.

No HR.

ddrueding

Fixture
Well, if you truly feel that it will be taken well (with humor), than I would suggest sending them images from the monster of cock website. Don't change the rules, just demonstrate your superiority.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Such behaviour is intolerable. I'd have them severely disciplined if not fired straightforth. If you retaliate and don't report it to your management, you could be liable as well. I'm not sure how this works since some parts of Title VII for sexual harassment mention companies with 15 or more employees. The most important thing to do is put your complaint in writing.

ddrueding

Fixture
That depends Lunar. Everyone could be up-tight about it, and make a big deal, where people jobs are in jeopardy; or everyone could be laid-back and have a sense of humor about it. That is why I've always loved working for/with small companies; big ones don't have a sense of humor.

Handruin

Administrator
People are way too politically correct these days and it's making me sick. Send them huge wang pictures (if you can stomach it).

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Merc has already documented a run-in with his boss over sexual harassment. SHE clearly can't be relied upon to view this impartially. I would very strongly recommend against emailing anything, but start keeping a diary -something I doubt you would ordinarily feel the need for.