Something Random

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
We need to find three nice women to do a serious Mercutonic intervention on that tropical island -- one with no telephones, TVs, or internet, etc. :)

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Well, I have 31 years of interactions with women to go by, and so far I got nothin'.

Here's the ideal that I'm looking for in a lady:

1. A geek - these are about as common as unicorns as far as I can tell, but the girls who like comic books or dungeons and dragons or hard drives are the awesomest girls. I've only ever met one who is straight.
2. More outgoing and upbeat than I am - this should not be hard, since I am the least outgoing and upbeat person in the world.
3. Kinda tomboyish - Not big on makeup, more handy around the house than I am (I suck at that stuff).
4. More interested in man-parts than my ex was - Honestly, this is negotiable; I don't know the difference anyway.
5. No kids - not negotiable. I don't want them. I don't want to be around them. vhemt.org and all that.
6. Some kind of real intellect - An education, the ability to hold a conversation. Very important.
7. Not terribly materialistic - Golddigging bad (not that I have much gold, but compared to people who live where I do...)
8. Friend first.
9. Not religious.
10. Not a total bitch. I am OK with very large levels of aggressive/assertive etc. I don't mind that at all really. On the other hand, there is a line, and about the time you feel your testes shrivel up when some guy's wife/girlfriend tells him to do something, you know that line. ;)
11. Some concept of personal hygiene.

Now, to me, none of that looks unreasonable.

At the same time, it also looks utterly impossible. That person does not exist. If she does, I have no way to find her, and it's reasonable to assume that no person I might meet in my normal life matches those criteria, based on life experience.

Assuming I did find that person, it's entirely reasonable to assume that she's already found a guy who is probably better than I am for whatever categories represent HER ideals; observation suggests that women more or less have their pick of male-types and that even the testicle-shriveling total bitches have a steady stream of guys in their lives.

In short, I don't know what the point is. I wish I knew of a straight, available, ideal sort of woman, but I don't, nor do I have any hope of ever finding one, so all any activity on that front does is increase the level of frustration, depression and isolation I feel.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
You're right, you won't. Not in Portage, Indiana. You have to move to a large city where there be plenty of nerdy girls that will meet all the requirements you list. Since you care about the type of woman in your life (which is a good thing), you have to keep looking. It's a numbers game. The problem with you is you don't want to make any effort at all, don't want to leave your comfort zone. No pain, no gain. I really, really, hope Merc that you listen to all of us and take steps to find more happiness in your life. :(

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
You're right, you won't. Not in Portage, Indiana. You have to move to a large city where there be plenty of nerdy girls that will meet all the requirements you list. Since you care about the type of woman in your life (which is a good thing), you have to keep looking. It's a numbers game. The problem with you is you don't want to make any effort at all, don't want to leave your comfort zone. No pain, no gain. I really, really, hope Merc that you listen to all of us and take steps to find more happiness in your life. :(

You're seriously an hour (40 miles) from the third largest city in the US. Either by rail or car. There's several NICTD stations within 15 miles of where you live, so you wouldn't even have to deal with traffic or parking. The chances of you finding someone that you are compatible with in a city the size of Chicago is exponentially greater than limiting yourself to Portage and the surrounding areas :shudder:

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Merc, are all the things you listed something you expect from girl-friends? Let's start with finding you someone you can just talk to and hang out with first.

ddrueding

Fixture
When choosing a location with womens such as you have described you will benefit from the following:

Large city - more people increases your odds
Near a large university that includes a strong graduate program in the sciences - self-explanatory
In an area with a strong geek-employment base - keeping the geeks around after school.
Expensive neighborhood - gold-diggers are driven out.
Nice weather year-round - social stuff happens more when the weather is nice.

Of course, I'm talking about where I am. Silicon Valley, right next to Stanford. Live here, take extra-curricular classes, meet people.

ddrueding

Fixture
Saw this on our walk today.

1821759312_c4c33f6982.jpg

ddrueding

Fixture
I'm interested in your rationale behind this conjecture.

Where I grew up, there were trailer parks a plenty. Lots and lots of poor women looking to get knocked-up so they wouldn't have to be baggers at Safeway or deliver pizzas anymore. Every night they would get dressed-up and try to "bag a good one" at the local pubs.

I know. I befriended a couple and tried to help them. Lets just say that I'm not a father yet and that they are disappointed.

Here, there are a number of factors that make it difficult for them.

1. Smart women - way too much competition.
2. Smart men - most of whom know better.
3. High rent - unless they are living with their parents, you can't survive on a crappy job's paycheck here. A beer is $6-8.

ddrueding

Fixture
Two questions:

1. Could anyone recommend a good traffic lawyer? Just for a consultation.

2. Does anyone know the accuracy of aircraft-based radar?

Good thing I'm giving up this commute soon...

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
If the target is clean, and locked properly with a reasonable read time, laser radar can be more accurate than the speedometers in many cars. Why don't you just RTFM? ;)

ddrueding

Fixture
I'm curious because it was not in the typical X, K, Ka, or Ladar bands (detector was silent). The ticket itself does not indicate the method used beyond "aircraft".

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Merc, are all the things you listed something you expect from girl-friends? Let's start with finding you someone you can just talk to and hang out with first.

The list represents an ideal.
I read someplace that when Bill Gates decided to start looking for a wife, he started by making a list of all the qualities he wanted in a woman and weighting them. That's a supremely nerdy thing to do, but I was thinking about that stuff as a way to organize my thoughts into something coherent.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
I read someplace that when Bill Gates decided to start looking for a wife, he started by making a list of all the qualities he wanted in a woman and weighting them. That's a supremely nerdy thing to do, but I was thinking about that stuff as a way to organize my thoughts into something coherent.

Its analytical sure but you have to start somewhere.

ddrueding

Fixture
Planning a sight-seeing trip in San Francisco for some of my GF's relatives who have a hard time walking.

70+ miles of driving, and all-day trip though SF. I'll be renting a Cadillac DTS (or similar) for the day, and will be insuring it out the wazoo.

If that won't wear them out, I don't know what will.

Well, that apparently went really well. Ended up with a Buick Something, when I started it had 4 miles, when I was done it had 94. E-Brake was off, but the brakes themselves smelled really bad.

It's amazing how much some easy things (being tall) are worth compared to some difficult things (carrying all the bags, helping them with stairs, etc). All together I got an excellent review, no bad marks at all.

Of course, only afterwards do I discover that these relatives don't talk to any of the others, so my awesomeness is significantly limited.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Two questions:

Why does it have to be radar. It could have been a stopwatch timming you through a known distance. From a helicoptor it would be easy.

Bozo :joker:

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
Two questions:

Any particular reason you are asking?

I'm curious because it was not in the typical X, K, Ka, or Ladar bands (detector was silent). The ticket itself does not indicate the method used beyond "aircraft".

Oh, now I see, you're implying with your deficient/vague post that *you* (as opposed to the G/F or someone you know, or just generally?) got a speeding ticket on your work related commute (as opposed to occasional flirting @100mph, or just your habitual speeding on highways/freeways?), is this correct?

More important question to OP, what speed, how exactly is that speed stated, defined in full?

Don't do the crime, if you're not prepared to do the time
(isn't that how the slogan goes?) :p

ddrueding

Fixture
They claim to have gotten me at 116, but the ticket itself is for 98. Darn nice of them, really.

Don't do the crime, if you're not prepared to do the time

In everything there is a risk, and a benefit. The people who succeed are the ones who do the math, not just avoid every risk regardless.

Handruin

Administrator
Why does it have to be radar. It could have been a stopwatch timming you through a known distance. From a helicoptor it would be easy.

Bozo :joker:

Bozo is right. They might still do a stopwatch from the air with this type of thing. I haven't seen it in a very long time around here, but we live on different coasts. :)

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.

Mil or Civ?

In the case of the speeding fine, as most land based radars are stationary it's an easy matter. However once you mount the radar on a moving vehicle, either car or aircraft, there are other factors such as accuracy of movement (of the carrier platform) and calculation of doppler effect. Unless they are spending $$$, accuracy won't be that crash hot.

I personally don't believe the cops are being nice, but are taking the cautionary path, and based on the detected speed +- accuracy, you get your fined speed...

In short, pay the fine and get on with life...