Something Random

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Bozo is right. They might still do a stopwatch from the air with this type of thing. I haven't seen it in a very long time around here, but we live on different coasts. :)

Don't forget laser range finder...

Speed of aircraft +- approach rate = speed of other vehicle.

Plus much more accurate than a stop watch, and you only need 2-3secs to calculate approach rate.

ddrueding

Fixture
In short, pay the fine and get on with life...

That was already the plan. They were doubly nice in that they made it a simple infraction as opposed to a Misdemeanor (an option at that speed). Further, since it is my first ticket in 7 years, I am eligible for traffic school! ;)

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Now see why I have no desire to drive? I probably wouldn't be as lucky as you, given that this is your first ticket in 7 years. If I had gotten a license, in all likelihood it would probably have been revoked by now, along with a good amount of jail time, and a nice pile of speeding tickets. I realize I'm dangerous enough on a bicycle. Better off for all concerned that I stay away from anything with a motor. Besides, on <$10K a year I couldn't afford to drive anyway.

You might want to come east. You can travel at 125+ mph on the Northeast Corridor with no worries whatsoever about a speeding ticket. In fact, if you book the Acela between Boston and NYC there's even about 40 miles of 150 mph running.

ddrueding

Fixture
Actually JTR, my next concern is something we have already talked about. Boredom. Driving at 75mph (10 over - the average speed on the road), is so incredibly boring.

When I drive as I like, 100% of my attention is on the road. I know exactly where every car is and what they are likely to do. Reaction times are very high and the drive seems to be over in no time.

Driving at the lower speed, it only takes 30-40 minutes more, but it seems like an eternity. Now I know why people try to read, talk on the phone, or do other stupid stuff while driving; there simply isn't enough to occupy the mind.

Back to my plans to dash-mount my laptop. That plus radar-adaptive cruise control might be my key to sanity.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Actually JTR, my next concern is something we have already talked about. Boredom. Driving at 75mph (10 over - the average speed on the road), is so incredibly boring.

When I drive as I like, 100% of my attention is on the road. I know exactly where every car is and what they are likely to do. Reaction times are very high and the drive seems to be over in no time.

Driving at the lower speed, it only takes 30-40 minutes more, but it seems like an eternity. Now I know why people try to read, talk on the phone, or do other stupid stuff while driving; there simply isn't enough to occupy the mind.
Yep, that's exactly how I feel. When I'm in a car with someone driving 75 mph on a long trip I feel bored just watching them drive. I couldn't imagine trying to hold that speed for the whole trip if I were the one driving. And it annoys the engineer in me that the law should require that I do so. If the car, the road, and the driver can safely deal with much higher speeds, so be it. Let the driver be the judge of the proper speed to drive at, not some politicians in an ivory tower who impose these limits. The limits used to be set at the 95th percentile. In effect, the drivers decided their own speed limit by driving faster or slower. We really need to go back to that. We need even more to get the marginal drivers (the few who can't even handle 65mph) off the roads for good since they cause the most accidents. The old 95th percentile system worked just fine up until the 1970s. It's pathetic to think that the infinitely less safe, less stable cars of the 1950s and 1960s more or less had the same speed limits on Interstate highways as exist today. In fact, 70 mph in a lot of those cars actually felt borderline unsafe, yet they were allowed that in many places. Now my mom's 300C and my brother's Mark VIII feel half asleep at 100 mph. Try to hold 70 mph behind the wheel of one of those on a trip of any length without falling asleep behind the wheel. Automotive technology and road technology have advanced but nowhere is this reflected in traffic laws. Although a lot of people here pick on me for my love of trains, at least the trains today are legally run at twice the speed of those in the 1960s, and are still much safer than their predecessors despite this. It could be the same for autos.

Handruin

Administrator
Speaking of trains, jtr...I say this digg post about the TGV in paris. It's probably old news to you, but when I watched the video and the clip of the train passing under the bridge with people on it blew me away. Seeing something that large pass under a bridge at over 300 MPH was insane. I must have rewinded that part about a dozen times or more.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Speaking of trains, jtr...I say this digg post about the TGV in paris. It's probably old news to you, but when I watched the video and the clip of the train passing under the bridge with people on it blew me away. Seeing something that large pass under a bridge at over 300 MPH was insane. I must have rewinded that part about a dozen times or more.
It may be old news to me as it happened in April but I'm still blown away by the videos. I thought it was kind of funny that they had to use a jet for the aerial shots. Remember that this is not a maglev. It's regular steel wheels on steel rails just like any subway. Same track guage in fact. Even though this was a test at nearly twice normal running speed it was still deemed safe enough to have reporters along the ride and spectators on the bridges. That says a lot for the built-in margin of safety in the system. It's a pity this hasn't lit a fire under the behinds of us Americans to build a similar system, and break France's record. I personally feel 400 mph on steel wheels/steel rail is just on the edge of possible.

ddrueding

Fixture

Damn that is cool. The questions are:

1. How much does it cost per mile of track?
2. How much does each train cost?
3. How many people fit on each train?
4. How many routes are mid/near-term profitable?

I suspect the answer to #4 is "none" in the US.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Damn that is cool. The questions are:

1. How much does it cost per mile of track?
$20 million and up but that's not much more building a road (and maintenence is less). Speaking of roads, I remember the cost for Boston's big dig was obscene. And the DOT spent something like half a billion on a highway interchange in Texas IIRC.

2. How much does each train cost?
around $20 million

3. How many people fit on each train?
512 per set but two sets can be coupled doubling capacity to 1024. At up to 15 trains per hour that's over 15,000 people per hour compared to 2,000 per hour per lane of highway at typical auto occupancy rates.

4. How many routes are mid/near-term profitable?
See here:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e0/High-Speed_Rail_Corridor_Designations.png

The only real gap would be from between the midwest and west coast, but I'd guess that once the pieces shown were in place it would only be a matter of time before we would make the system cross-country. Unlike a plane, a high-speed train can easily stop at multiple cities enroute without losing too much time.

I suspect the answer to #4 is "none" in the US.
Basically any place there is a heavily traveled air route and/or interstate highways you can replace it with a viable high-speed rail route. Don't forget to look at the enormous indirect subsidies air and auto get. Put those on a level playing field with trains, and I'd guess that 75% of the travel in the US would be via rail of some type. Rail wins hands down in terms of efficiency, cost, and speed compared to auto and air. Well, air sometimes has a slight edge in speed over 1000 miles but that's more than cancelled once the negative effects are taken into account.

Handruin

Administrator
I'm curious how much actually energy is consumed/required to get a train up to 350+ MPH? Is that cost really worth it? The page claims it required 31,000 volts, but that doesn't really give us any idea how much power it actually consumes.

I still can't believe they use steel wheels and a regular track for that. I can only imagine the horsepower/torque required to get that beast up to those speeds with the amount of wind resistance that occurs. Also, do they need to build the track in any special way in regards to turns? Can the high speed trains turn at the same degree as the normal tracks offer?

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
I'm curious how much actually energy is consumed/required to get a train up to 350+ MPH? Is that cost really worth it? The page claims it required 31,000 volts, but that doesn't really give us any idea how much power it actually consumes.

I still can't believe they use steel wheels and a regular track for that. I can only imagine the horsepower/torque required to get that beast up to those speeds with the amount of wind resistance that occurs. Also, do they need to build the track in any special way in regards to turns? Can the high speed trains turn at the same degree as the normal tracks offer?

Trains have a relatively high center of gravity. Whether or not a train will fly off the tracks in a turn is a function of the speed of the train and the angle of the turn. They can do things like bank the turns though.

The blurb referred to preparation such as "tamping an extra ballast onto the right-of-way". I'm not sure what this is but I assume it either flattens the track or reduces vibration.

ddrueding

Fixture
I think they are underestimating the DHS' ability to screw things up. One of the reasons high-speed rail is faster than planes under 1k miles is the faster boarding process. I wouldn't be surprised to see 2 hour security lines before a high-speed train. :(

Stereodude

Not really a
$20 million and up but that's not much more building a road (and maintenence is less). Speaking of roads, I remember the cost for Boston's big dig was obscene. And the DOT spent something like half a billion on a highway interchange in Texas IIRC.

512 per set but two sets can be coupled doubling capacity to 1024. At up to 15 trains per hour that's over 15,000 people per hour compared to 2,000 per hour per lane of highway at typical auto occupancy rates.
I don't know where you came up with these numbers, but they're flat out wrong. A "light" rail system costs nearly 10x as much per mile as a lane of freeway, and carries only 1/10th the number of people on it. So, they puts the light rail at a 100:1 disadvantage to a freeway in terms of cost per person.

"Light" rail systems also don't make money.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Light rail refers to passenger lines because the steel rail is smaller than freight rail and therefore weighs less.
The actual size of the steel rail is given in pounds per yard. The heavier rail is for freight trains.
Ballast is the gravel under the rails and ties (the wood or concrete cross braces under the steel rail). It provides a firm base and lets water flow away from the ties.
Near the bottom of this page is a formula for speed around corners

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rail_tracks

Passenger rail cars are not top heavy. On modern passenger cars (light rail) the electric motors are in the wheel sets. Everything above that is an empty box. Even with passengers, the majority of the weight is below the horizontal center of the car.

Bozo :joker:

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I don't know where you came up with these numbers, but they're flat out wrong. A "light" rail system costs nearly 10x as much per mile as a lane of freeway, and carries only 1/10th the number of people on it. So, they puts the light rail at a 100:1 disadvantage to a freeway in terms of cost per person.

Where do you get your numbers? Also, this freeway makes money?

Stereodude

Not really a
Where do you get your numbers? Also, this freeway makes money?
Wikipedia has costs for light rail systems. Google turns up lots of links for the cost of a highway per lane. JTR just lives in his own world when it comes to trains and cars.

Freeways don't necessarily make money, but they aren't money pits like light rail systems either.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Wikipedia has costs for light rail systems. Google turns up lots of links for the cost of a highway per lane. JTR just lives in his own world when it comes to trains and cars.

Freeways don't necessarily make money, but they aren't money pits like light rail systems either.

Freeways not money pits?

Case in point: the Dan Ryan Reconstruction project in Chicago. Cost: $975 million, more than double what it was supposed to cost. This is for a road that is already built and only 12.5 miles long. It is a 14 lane road and only can handle 320k cars a day. It's also one of the most congested roads in the country. Normal travel times are over 30 minutes to make it 12.5 miles.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
The total output of the locomotives was 25,000 HP, (about double normal) and they were running a much shorter trainset (3 cars instead of 8 or 10). Both things were necessary to reach the speed record. In regular service the locomotives develop 12,000 but only about 8,000 HP of that is needed to maintain 300 kph on level train. At 512 seats, that comes to about 16 HP per seat to cruise. As for being worth it, this compares more than favorably to any type of road vehicle. Find me a passenger car which requires only 16 HP per passenger to maintain 300 kph. It doesn't exist and likely never will.

The track has much wider turns than standard railways (4000 meters radius minimum), is heavier rail, and is maintained to a higher standard. Other than that, it's regular track. The turns are banked of course, but at the speeds in question you must have much wider turns than conventional railways.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
There used to be a passenger rail service that ran, as far as I know, between Indianapolis, IN to Danville IL then at least to Champaign, IL. The train ran through, and made stops at many of the tiny little towns between those larger cities, including the very, very small one where I grew up (population of about 150 people).

We talk about how horrible and inefficient train travel is, but Danville had streetcars to get around the city, and there was literally a commuter train that could get you from city to city in a very reasonable amount of time. My grandmother was talking about that stuff last time I saw her: Two hours to make a forty mile trip including the stops, or more or less anyplace in Danville in about 20 minutes of riding plus perhaps another 10 minutes of walking. That's... no bad.

So what happened to that system?

GM (Evil) built a parts plant in Danville. Danville, as a matter of civic support for the largest employer in town, stopped maintaining its passenger rail service. It fell into disrepair and was shut down in favor of a city bus program which was also discontinued (and recreated, and discontinued, and recreated).

Stereodude

Not really a
Freeways not money pits?

Case in point: the Dan Ryan Reconstruction project in Chicago. Cost: $975 million, more than double what it was supposed to cost. This is for a road that is already built and only 12.5 miles long. It is a 14 lane road and only can handle 320k cars a day. It's also one of the most congested roads in the country. Normal travel times are over 30 minutes to make it 12.5 miles.
Look, we can go back and forth with anecdotal evidence all day long. Mismanagement or poor management and cronyism driving up the cost of a particular project doesn't mean all freeways are that expensive.

If a light rail system was profitable they'd be all over the country and companies would be building them to make money from them. That isn't happening. There has to be a reason...

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!

This isn't a light rail system. And light rail systems often don't make money because it seems politicians purposely put them in places where they're doomed to failure just to say "we tried and it won't work so let's just keep everyone in their cars."

BTW, no form of transportation makes money directly. It's not supposed to. Transportation is the engine which lubricates the economy. When you look at all the positive economic activity something like a subway or a high-speed rail line generates, such as development along the right-of-way, then overall it's worth it. For a highway this isn't necessarily true. For the neighborhoods it divides in two it's a decided negative. Even for those it may still potentially benefit it's of no use unless they take the very expensive step of owning a car. On the other hand, anyone who can pay a few dollars can ride a subway or light rail system, so that includes almost everyone.

BTW, a car is a classic definition of a money pit. You're paying for it even when it's just sitting in your driveway doing nothing. Add up the total you'll pay for your car over its lifetime. Include purchase price, insurance, gas, repairs, tickets, licensing fees, tolls, parking fees, etc. Divide by the total number of miles. Add to that all the indirect costs borne by the taxpayer to build roads and keep you car supplied with gas (i.e. wars in Iraq and soon Iran). Once you do that your jaw will probably drop to the ground. No rail system built or imagined will even come close to the per passenger-mile cost of operating a car. Every time I've went through the economics of car ownership, it never ceased to amaze me what a crappy deal they are. Even if all subsidies were dropped, I could ride the subway every single day as much as I want for a little more than $100 a month (the monthly MetroCard is $76 now due to subsidies which cover only about 24% of costs, the rest being borne at the farebox). That's less than I'd pay just for auto insurance, never mind gas or repairs. If I want to travel out of the city, Amtrak is still cheaper than owning a car.

Amazing the power of marketing, isn't it? If cars had to stand on their own cost-benefit merits, without all the hype, I doubt more than 10% of the population would even consider buying one. Actually, that's how it was back in the 1940s before the government encouraged the move to suburbia. Cars were simply expensive toys of the wealthy. How I wish it would have remained that way.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
One other thing about high speed trains. They can lean into the corners. Similar to a motorcycle. It's computer controled and supposedly unfelt by the passengers.

Bozo

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Amazing the power of marketing, isn't it? If cars had to stand on their own cost-benefit merits, without all the hype, I doubt more than 10% of the population would even consider buying one. Actually, that's how it was back in the 1940s before the government encouraged the move to suburbia. Cars were simply expensive toys of the wealthy. How I wish it would have remained that way.

I have a feeling that this will come true within the next couple of decades. A barrel of petroleum currently costs almost $96. Wait until next memorial day to see what gas prices look like. I would bet that the average price per gallon reaches $4 by then. As prices continue to go up fewer and fewer people will be able to afford to drive and will have to find an alternative method of transportation. Unless there is some crazy breakthrough in an alternative fuel.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Freeways not money pits?

Thank you, Tim. The numbers for the big dig in Boston are even more obscene. $14.6 billion for 7.5 miles of underground roads. Literally a money pit.

All that money spent and the travel times you mentioned are worse than a typical express subway train.

Regarding modern subway costs, here's an article on the Second Avenue Subway. Note this paragraph:

The estimated cost of the full length Second Avenue subway is $16.8 billion, while the economic growth for the city as a result of the project, as estimated by the Regional Plan Association, includes the creation of approximately 70,000 jobs during construction and an additional 86,000 jobs after construction, and that the project could generate more than $14.4 billion in annual Gross City Product (a measure of all the goods and services produced in the city), $7 billion in additional wages, and $1.26 billion in economic activity per year in the city.

My comments:

Although the construction will be fantastically expensive (16.8 billion for roughly 8 or 9 miles) don't forget that this is because the line is being built through the most congested piece of real estate on the planet. If the line were in one of the outer boroughs it would probably cost a third of that, if not less. Also note that the line will pay for itself many times over just as the rest of the system has. I doubt the Big Dig or the Dan Ryan Reconstruction will ever pay back a fraction of what they cost. Ongoing maintenance for roads is way more per passenger-mile than rail. That dooms them from the start.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
So what happened to that system?

GM (Evil) built a parts plant in Danville. Danville, as a matter of civic support for the largest employer in town, stopped maintaining its passenger rail service. It fell into disrepair and was shut down in favor of a city bus program which was also discontinued (and recreated, and discontinued, and recreated).
And that's pretty much how we arrived where we are. GM et al would buy up trolley (nowadays termed light rail) lines, not maintain them, cut service, etc. Eventually they would shut the line down due to the "poor ridership" which occurred on account of their neglect. They would replace it with bus service, for a while anyway. In time they even discontinued the bus service. That's how GM and the others got people to buy into cars-by literally removing all the other choices. Even Microsoft wouldn't sink to that level.

Yes, trolley/light rail worked fine back in your grandmother's day. It would still work fine today had the system not been dismantled. Remember that the trolley system was but one part of an integrated network which included long-distance passenger trains and subways in some cities. That's really what made it work, and made it convenient. There was a time when you used to be able to go from New York to pretty much anywhere in small town middle America without a car. Unfortunately, that hasn't been true since well before I was born. It'll be interesting to see how the coming $100+ per barrel of oil plays out. Even if we develop EVs or other gasoline alternatives, roads still require asphalt, an oil byproduct. Given this, it's easy to see many roads no longer being cost effective to maintain. On the other hand, the US has a thriving steel industry to build/maintain a rail system.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
I don't know the details, but they built a new subway system in New Delhi a couple of years ago. There was none till then. It was built within time and budget, works flawlessly, and is being hailed as the model to be emulated. Teams from other Asian countries have visited to learn from the experience so they can benefit from it in their own countries. The guy that managed it (CEO) has become a legend.

The point I am trying to make is exactly the one Stereodude made; mismanagement and poor management are what drive up costs for mass transit systems. That, and political pork insisting that stations are built in neighborhoods that don't make sense, NIMBY, etc. As Tim pointed out, as we suck the ground dry of petroleum, mass transit will become more and more attractive. Anybody that decries mass-transit is in denial.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
I don't know the details, but they built a new subway system in New Delhi a couple of years ago.
Article about the system.

The point I am trying to make is exactly the one Stereodude made; mismanagement and poor management are what drive up costs for mass transit systems. That, and political pork insisting that stations are built in neighborhoods that don't make sense, NIMBY, etc. As Tim pointed out, as we suck the ground dry of petroleum, mass transit will become more and more attractive. Anybody that decries mass-transit is in denial.
The things you mentioned drive up the cost of roads also. It's an across the board problem with public works projects which needs to be fixed.

Mass transit has an additional factor going against it-a strong vested interest by many with influence to make sure it doesn't work. Consider what would happen if the HSR system shown in the map I linked to actually existed. Furthermore, suppose we had a decent system of integrated light rail/subways near the stations so at most destinations a rider could get within walking distance of their final destination. Let's look at what would happen:

1) Domestic air flights would probably decrease by at least 50%, if not more. That means less oil sold to airlines. It also means a sharp decrease in the taxi business and rental car business used to get people to the airports. Again, less oil sold, and fewer cars sold.

2) I don't even want to think about how those HSR lines would affect long distance car travel, but my guess is it would be cut down by 75%, perhaps even more. Again, less oil sold. There would be fewer tolls collected. Those small towns along the way which have come to rely on speeding ticket revenues would cease to exist. Most rest stops would go out of business as would many motels.

3) Given that owning a car would become more of a luxury instead of a necessity for many people, car ownership would decrease drastically. Many people would opt to rent a car for those few times a year the HSR and local rail network didn't suffice. Many might still own some sort of personal transport for errands, but it would likely be in the form of a small, short range EV, not a more expensive long distance gas-powered cruiser. Overall car sales and profits would decrease dramatically. Industries which feed off the auto industry would be affected as well.

4) Hospitals would see an immediate huge drop off in auto-related trauma cases, and eventually cancers as the air became cleaner. Because people would be living longer retirement programs like Social Security would be in further deficit.

5) Union jobs repairing/maintaining roads would drop dramatically as many roads would no longer be economically viable to maintain. As fewer roads existed, owning a car would become even less attractive, further dropping auto sales.

Of course, the positive effects of the system would outweigh the negatives but the immediate losers happen to be those with the most influence (big oil, big auto, medicine, airlines, labor unions). Those who might gain are currently bit players. Easy to see why politicians often hand pick the location of a new system so as to doom it to failure, and fail to fund projects in viable markets like the Northeast. They just don't want mass transit to work.

ddrueding

Fixture
Just to touch on the "oil in roads" point, many here are built using concrete. Cheaper (reportedly) to build and maintain, but much worse on the vehicles. Again passing costs to the consumer.

ddrueding

Fixture
Wow, more socialism at work...

This is where I disagree. People are greedy. Government projects = extreme corruption/inefficiency. What we need is a way to encourage private development of an effective system. Tax breaks on income after the route is complete that cover the initial bid? "Eminent domain" clearing of proposed routes?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Economic Libertarian "Let the Market Rule" road construction?

Yup. That'll be great. Until the day you need to get to the little town in the Midwest where your family lives, and find out that the ROI on maintaining the roads to do it weren't high enough to make a private company interested in doing it, so you only option are some ruts in hopefully hard-packed soil.

There are some things, like public transportation, emergency services (yes fucking including health care) and maintenance of the power grid that are best served as ongoing public programs, rather than private entities.

Stereodude

Not really a
This is where I disagree. People are greedy. Government projects = extreme corruption/inefficiency. What we need is a way to encourage private development of an effective system. Tax breaks on income after the route is complete that cover the initial bid? "Eminent domain" clearing of proposed routes?
There's way too much tinfoil hat / conspiracy thinking going on in this thread. If all these light rail lines / public transportation schemes were so profitable and useful in the past and some evil corporation shut them down to help their own selfish goals then the free market would worked (as it always does) and another company would have stepped in to fill the void left by it to satisfy customer demand and would have made money.

That didn't happen, so maybe the demand and profitability wasn't actually there in the first place, but I'm sure the socialist in the thread will have another conspiracy theory on why it wasn't done.

And I'm sure there are lots of people out there with their 100MPG carburetors that they invented in their garage only to have some big oil company burn down their garage and threaten them, or buy their patents only to bury them to never see the light of day.

ddrueding

Fixture
When I lived in Eugene, OR, I had a little house on an alley. The alley wasn't an official road, so it had no official maintenance. There were about 15 small houses on this road, mostly populated by students. How good was this road? Exactly as good as it needed to be (not very).

I hear what you are saying, but there has to be a better way than tacking on 300% in money and 200% in time for every project to cover corruption.

WRT public health care (and expanding the role of the govt. in general), there was an interesting debate on NPR today about subsidizing the entertainment industry through taxes. It started as a discussion of the screenwriters guild, and pretty quickly turned into a discussion on how companies were going to get money for creative works in general. The idea posed by one of the guests was to tax everyone ~$100/year ($20B total) and get rid of copyright for music, TV, and movies completely.

Thoughts?

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Just to touch on the "oil in roads" point, many here are built using concrete. Cheaper (reportedly) to build and maintain, but much worse on the vehicles. Again passing costs to the consumer.

IIRC, concrete roads are more expensive to build than asphalt. They do, however, last a lot longer and can handle heaver loads & traffic patterns. I don't think one or the other is much worse on vehicles although asphalt roads degrade faster and will get more potholes faster (which will cause more vehicle wear & tear sooner if the road isn't properly maintained).

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
IIRC, concrete roads are more expensive to build than asphalt. They do, however, last a lot longer and can handle heaver loads & traffic patterns. I don't think one or the other is much worse on vehicles although asphalt roads degrade faster and will get more potholes faster (which will cause more vehicle wear & tear sooner if the road isn't properly maintained).

A brand new asphalt road feels a lot smoother. Though I have no idea if it matters to the car one bit.