Something Random

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I do not wish to belittle your issue. Sorry, you are going through your personal health issues. It's never fair but it must be endured, mainly because the alternative is unthinkable.

Now I also have an unrelated injury in a lower extremity. So altogether 5 areas are messed up. I'm barely ambulatory at this point. Of course inside is the main problem.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
$270/month to have a $6300 deductible. It's just exactly like not having health insurance at all, except that it costs as much as a car payment. Hurray!

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
How much was the fine to not get insurance at all?
This year it's only $95 or 1% of your income, whichever is more. Eventually it'll increase to $695 or 2.5% of your income. Given the numbers Merc gave, if you're making less than ~$130K it'll be cheaper to go without insurance even once the full penalties kick in. If your income is less than 133% of the federal poverty line you're exempt from any penalty.

We really should have went with single payer. The fact is most people aren't equipped to start hunting for and choosing insurance on their own. It's yet another thing people who are already busy have to do. Functionally, there's no difference between having a private insurer versus having government insurance except for who you make the check out to.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
$270/month to have a $6300 deductible. It's just exactly like not having health insurance at all, except that it costs as much as a car payment. Hurray!

Yep, congress sold out the insurance companies. I wonder how many in congress are getting kick backs from the insurance companies?

Mercutio

Yep, congress sold out the insurance companies. I wonder how many in congress are getting kick backs from the insurance companies?

I maintained a catastrophic plan for a few years that had a $20,000 deductible, but it only cost me $110/month. I'm every bit as unlikely to spend $6300 on health care in a single year as $20,000 and if I did wind up spending $6300 I'm fairly certain that the total would exceed $20,000 as well. So what is the extra $160/month buying me?
Oh. I get $20 prescriptions for some generic medicines. Yay.

I want to do the right thing and actually have health insurance, but this does not seem to be a rational decision, especially when $270/month isn't that far from what I normally put in my retirement savings account.

Mercutio

Does your employer not offer health insurance?

I work for a company with five employees. All of them are women. All of them have insurance through their husband's job. I make too much money to qualify for any discount on coverage but not enough to think that the monthly cost represents a reasonable expenditure. I also live in a state with a deliberately bad/crippled ACA Implementation where the majority of elected officials for some reason have a vested interested in being able to say "I told you Obamacare wouldn't work."

ddrueding

Fixture
Cool thing: The new Lenovo M-series Tiny desktop uses the same power connectors as their new ThinkPads. Works great from an inventory management and flexible workstation standpoint.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
That could be very useful. Given I haven't bought a ThinkPad for a while, is it still the same connector?

sedrosken

Florida Man
Website
sedrosken.xyz
Think about how often your car or your phone needs fixed and how often operating systems need to be patched. Would you really trust human technology at its present level with your consciousness?

"What's wrong with your hand today, robodrueding?"
"I got some sand in it and now only my pinkie-finger actuates properly. I need to have someone else take it completely apart and clean it out because of course the last critical firmware update hosed my fine iris control and I can't see details for crap."

Because you know it would be just like that.

I'll just leave this here.
Robo.jpg

Mercutio

I found 133 of the Google Maps Pokemons before I gave up and looked at spoilers and this is my favorite April Fool's stupid internet thing.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I've sent it to my boss, telling him that's how it fells to have a project leaded by him (he's an engineer). I've also Cced a few other coworkers. Tomorrow should be an interesting day at work.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I'm still employed. I'm pretty much un-fireable since I'm the only one able to manage the costly new servers setup and I make a habit of saving them a few thousand $$$ on hardware purchases every now and then. This week, I've found a way to save 3000$ that no one else knew about. Next week, I'll submit a proposition to triple our networking capacity while increasing the reliability of our network and simplifying its management, all of which will cost us a big fat 0$ (we might in fact make a profit with the hardware turnover if we play our cards well).

So I can pretty much say what I want. Save from coming to work in underwear (not my style) or punching someone (more my style), I don't see how I could lose my job. I told them I use the servers for running the FAH client until they move their ass to get the licenses I need and so far, it doesn't seem to bother them much since nothing's changed. You can follow the development by looking at my stats if you want ;)

ddrueding

Fixture
Just spent way too much time troubleshooting an issue. Mouse worked, never lost ability to move around the screen and both buttons worked in some programs but not all. The Classic Shell menu worked fine, and most hyperlinks worked fine, but controls in Flash windows didn't, and tab controls didn't work in Firefox or IE. Clearly a software issue I thought. Updated everything, changed settings, restored to previous versions, nada. Just for grins, I put their mouse on my laptop and experienced exactly the same issue in exactly the same programs. Pluggin my mouse in their computer resolved the issue for them.

Turns out their mouse wheel was stuck in the clicked position. Grr.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
After the last surgery, I was prescribed the genetic Vic Odin. However, I did not like it. :( For the next surgery, I' d prefer something else. What works well for you?

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
I've had Vicodine prescribed multiple times for multiple reasons. I've never noticed that it does much. I got a shot of Demerol, in an emergency room once after falling off a roof and shattering my shoulder and that worked really well for several hours. unfortunately, I don't think they give that out for home use.

Try contacting your doctor. He/she knows what works and can help, if they are so inclined.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
I have no experience with painkillers more powerful than cortisone. Each person reacts differently to chemistry so your doctor is to best to help you.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
^ In the hands of - or rather in the guts of - young men in the 15-30ish range, the combination leads to no brain. And various acts of senseless violence leading to ernormous pain to bystanders, family, friends, and anyone else unfortunate enough to be near these anti-social d*ckheads, so smashed out of their tiny brains on vodka (or rum, or whiskey, or anything else) that they don't know what they are doing, and so hyped up by dangerous "energy drinks" that instead of falling down and sleeping it off in a stupor they go insane with violence. Throw in various "recreational" uppers, a dash of 'roid rage, and a culture of unremitting mindless on-screen violence and you have a "normal" slice of life and death in any nightclub district in your country or in mine.

Me, I'd not ban Red Bull, I'd just mandate that, if taken at all, it must be administered per anum, and for preference sideways.