Something Random

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Since no one else has brought it up, I'm just going to say that election night was a happier night than usual.

Not that I don't still hate this country.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Merc, you need to move to Cook County. Not a single Republican was voted into office here. Many Democrats ran unopposed.

Mercutio

Moving within the US isn't going to fix the sizable political voice of evangelical christians and other social conservatives in this country. The USA is a place where basic principles of science are up for debate, to say nothing of the social justice issues I consider important.

I'm endlessly disappointed by politics here.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I was being slightly sarcastic.

I know you like to live in one of the most backward states in the whole union. ;-)

Good news, Illinois just reelected one of the most corrupt Governors possible.

Mercutio

Illinois has sent three governors (all from Kankakee, oddly) to prison over time.
Blagojevich (can't believe I spelled that right) seems to be ethically challenged as well, but to his credit, his issues seem to be more patronage/nepotism issues than George Ryan's License-for-Bribes scandal. He's bad, but Illinois politics is historically like that anyway. I suspect we're just getting better about catching it.

On the other hand, George Ryan's stand on the Death Penalty is one of the very, very few things admirable things I can recall a Republican doing.

And what's a Chicago boy doing complaining about corruption? Daly isn't exactly a paragon of virtue, either.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I think the good things that Daley has done for the city far outweigh his corruption. I have my doubts that anyone that reaches that level of politics doesn't have plenty of skeletons in their closet.

Onomatopoeic

Learning Storage Performance

With all those skeletons in the closet, they could throw one hell of a Halloween party if they ever wanted to!

LOST6200

Storage is cool
No way am I eneterding a CC, since the site is suspicous. What is that, some knid of phishing scam site?

ddrueding

Fixture
Looks like I'm flying to Moscow in February to meet dad; I hope his reception is warmer than the weather there. How much Russian can I learn in 3 months?

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I don't suppose you have considered just being yourself? Or is that out of character?

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
Can anyone suggest a good book or site that provides an in-depth technical background to VoIP, preferably Cisco's implementation(s)?

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
Oh, and if anyone's looking to hire a somewhat-rusty-but-determined-as-hell-to-ditch-his-current-job-and-get-back-in-the-saddle IT support & applications analyst, please let me know. :frusty:

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Oh, and if anyone's looking to hire a somewhat-rusty-but-determined-as-hell-to-ditch-his-current-job-and-get-back-in-the-saddle IT support & applications analyst, please let me know. :frusty:

What metro area would this be in? Or is it all of them?

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
What metro area would this be in? Or is it all of them?

Currently I'm in ye olde "metro DC" region. But I've started looking further afield. At least for now just within the USA though.

Sol

Storage is cool
i said:
Can anyone suggest a good book or site that provides an in-depth technical background to VoIP, preferably Cisco's implementation(s)?

I'm pretty sure Cisco just use SIP with some QOS handling stuff which is presumably just the same QOS you could apply to any UDP traffic through a Cisco router.

For Cisco specific stuff I can't help much but for SIP (probably more important) you can check :
wikipedia for an overview, the SIP rfc for the protocol spec and, the Ubiquity Developer Network for a developmental perspecive.

The last one most mostly useful for me because I just started working as a programmer at Ubiquity but there are some useful tools like a sip user agent with fairly verbose logging which is handy for finding problems in your SIP setup/application.

Mercutio

I have a very wide selection of Microsofty Ebooks. Probably a good thing to bone up on for an IT support guy. PM me if you need anything, i.

ddrueding

Fixture
Jamba Juice serves a nice product. Like all chain stuff, the marketing is annoying, but I like the Razzmatazz goodness. It's also right across the street from my house, between the Baja Fresh (Mexican) and the mechanic where my car currently resides :(

paugie

Storage is cool
I just heard Christmas music in Jamba Juice...this marks the start of my annual hermitage.
Hah! Here, the malls start playing Christmas Carols in October BUT some radio stations do so in August.

In actuality, the "ber" months are the Christmas season here. We are reputably the country with the longest Christmas Season. And we don't even have snow.

Sol

Storage is cool
When I lived in country South Australia the local pub (where I lived at the time) played country and western Christmas albums for a couple of months around Christmas... It was everything I would have expected from the bastard child of two of my least favorite genres.

Here in the UK I haven't really noticed music playing in shops much at all... Which is good because it'd probably consist of Christmas albums from the UK Idol/X-Factor rejects.

Mercutio

My cat likes to run off with my glasses if I don't get up and feed him at feeding time. He usually just bats them around the floor a few times but this time they are not anyplace I can find them.

Handruin

Administrator
I tried to go out and buy a Nintendo Wii this morning at 4:45AM and I could not believe the amount of people waiting in line at BestBuy. There must have been 600-800 people lined up. I eventually went to Target to look for one and waited in line to get in for 6:00AM. I talked to a guy in line who was at bestbuy for 2:00AM and he was not even close to the door. People had lined up at 9:00PM the night before. I wasn't anble to get the Wii, so I'll just have to wait.

Sol

Storage is cool
Have they not thought of taking deposits where you are? I just walked in to Game and put £20 on one last month, so I can pick mine up (with Zelda, I had to pre-order that too) at whatever time I like on Dec 8 (European launch) although I'll probably grab it the morning to make sure I can get the component video cable (since they don't have an item number to pre-order those yet) but it's still a much better option. I guess not for anyone who failed to think of doing it before the end of October though, only one guy after me got in in time at the store I went to, and they had by far the most orders in south Wales. Still, this queuing thing is an insane solution...

Handruin

Administrator
They had pre-orders here too, but I wasn't sure I wanted one until the day it came out...it was poor planning on my part no doubt. I checked another Target store and they didn't have any (no big surprise). I'm going to call a few more places to see if they happen to have any left.