Thailand Flooding Threatens Hard Drive Supply

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I guess we will be using Chinese drives for the next few years if the Thailands do not resume production. :(

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Sometime in the next month I should be retiring around 60 1TB drives. Given the number of power on hours they have, I was thinking I'd use them for non-critical functions but at this point I bet they'd fetch a ridiculous price on Ebay.

Mercutio

Dammit, my quest for getting the purchase price out of all those drives that haven't been turned off in three years might be thwarted.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I'd like to see pictures of how the flooded zones are today. While the HDD prices hike is a small issue for us, the flood was a disaster for them. I'd like to know how the people there fare.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
The hard drives' prices have been declining more significantly during the past two weeks. They are still far above what they were before the flooding, but it's getting there. The higher volume drives are the most inflated. 500GB drives are still 50$ above their August price. The 1TB and 2TB models are ~40$ above their former price and I don't know or care about the 3TB (none of my customers buy those).

I guess it means it's going better for the people in Thailand.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
In July I was paying ~ $75.00 for a WD RE4 250GB drive. The last price I got for these was in December and it was $159.00. Now, they are listed as 'not available'. :crap:

LunarMist

I see that there are some decreases, but is that from the mgr. or distributors?

Mercutio

I'm finding that right now it's cheaper for me to buy 2.5" 7200rpm drives rather than 3.5" models. So that's what I've been doing. I don't really like doing that because not many desktops really fit a 2.5" drive well, but works and keeps costs lower.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
That store isn't in Québec, it's in Brutus Columbia, I think. Our taxes, freaking phucking damn taxes, are at 14.975% combined.

ddrueding

Fixture
I'm finding that right now it's cheaper for me to buy 2.5" 7200rpm drives rather than 3.5" models. So that's what I've been doing. I don't really like doing that because not many desktops really fit a 2.5" drive well, but works and keeps costs lower.

And lower power consumption/heat and lower noise. Any time I'm not doing an SSD I'm doing 2.5"; it isn't a bad play.

LunarMist

You put notebook drives in desktop machines or are they servers?

LunarMist

Wow, and nobody complains about speed? Why not just use a laptop then, or are they less reliable?

ddrueding

Fixture
Wow, and nobody complains about speed? Why not just use a laptop then, or are they less reliable?

In my experience HDD speed only impacts boot time and AV scans if you have enough RAM in Win7 for normal users. Anything above my bare-bones boxes get an SSD anyway.

Mercutio

You put notebook drives in desktop machines or are they servers?

Desktops. I'm not really all that keen on the idea, because I wind up having to half-ass the mounting. I actually think 2.5" drives are more reliable than 3.5" drives anyway; they're designed to be moved and I've certainly replaced fewer of them, but it bothers me quite a lot when my best mounting option involves velcro tape.

I was able to get a dozen 2.5" 250GB 7200rpm drives for $53 each (vs. around $75 each for 3.5") earlier in the week. That's still high, but at least it's somewhat offset by low RAM prices at the moment.

Mercutio

If I bought a bracket like that for every drive I use, that would entirely negate the savings from buying the 2.5" drives in the first place.

My biggest needs right now are for low-cost builds (~$350 desktops) and to replace ailing 5-year-old drives in my classroom machines. In either case, low-cost is a bigger demand than anything else.

As an off-topic aside, I don't see any reason to upgrade my five year old classroom computers. They're completely fine all the way around, and I expect that they'll continue to be fine if my company makes it to the point where we start dealing with Windows 8. Two cores and 2GB RAM are just fine for day-to-day work, even when the classes use virtual machines.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Still too much for a piece of sheet metal that was stamped and bent. I have to think mouser could help here.

Mercutio

I've managed to find a few cheapies. Even $5 seems excessive for a flat piece of aluminum with a few strategically placed holes in it.

This is just one of those things like companies that want $3 for a molex to SATA converter. It's not a big deal for a one off but if you need to buy lots of them it's a real kick in the teeth.