The end-of-2003 PC Config Thread

Adcadet

Storage Freak
I'm the only "little man" for her, I'll have you know!

(and by little I mean 5'6.5" in height)

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
So why build all the robot women?

Guys, I think we should keep an eye on adcadet. I think he's building an army of lesbian robots in a psychotic attempt to rule the greater St. Paul metroplex.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
Mercutio said:
Current nforce2-based Gigabyte boards are a little pricey. The base KT600 and SiS-based(1) boards are nice though.

There's about $5 price difference between the nForce2 Ultra board from Shuttle and the entry-level 7VT600-L from Gigabyte.

I would agree that you can get less expensive nforce2 ultra boards. With the the Gigabyte Kt600 and sys748 boards you don't get the features of the Gigabyte 7K400 pro2. I would argue that it is worth the extra money to get the pro2. The 7NNXP costs too much though.

NewEgg Pricing:

$164.99 7NNXP Package Contents and Tech Spec.

$114.00 7k400Pro2 Package contents and Tech Spec.

$80.00 7K400 Pro Package Contents and Tech Spec.

$80.99 7VT600 1394 Package Contents and Tech Spec.

$67.50 7vt600-L Package Contents and Tech Spec.

$56.00 7S748 Package Contents and Tech Spec.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
Really folks

If you are capable of building a lifesized fully functional lesbo android then why are you asking advise about computer MB's. You are obviously plenty skilled enough to build a computer.

The 7k400pro is too flat chected for an android. You need something in a smaller form factor that you can build-up to your desired cup sized.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
You're right.. the ATX form factor is too flat, perhaps the BTX will offer 1 more cup size... and I'm sure many of you cannot wait till the release of the Ctx and Dtx form factors... or, shudder, the double DTX...

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
IMO, the 7N400 Pro (not 2) would be a better deal if it cost 34$ less than the Pro 2. I've rarely seen home user in need of Gigabit ethernet. That's the motherboard I have in two of my most recent systems and I'm not disapointed. I can't believe how cheap it is in the States. Here the 7N400L cost more than that.

Mercutio

Fushigi said:
Silicon chips, silicon implants. Hmmm....

That's "silicone implants". You knew that, I hope.

I'd think a full ATX board of any type would be a little bit large for a lesbian android. I think perhaps something u-ATX or maybe one of those VIA SFF deals would be better for Adcadet's application.

The bigger question is, what weapon system will AD's butch army be using to subjugate Shelling Avenue? Flamethrowers? Microwave Lasers? 50-calibre maching guns? Or simply their raw robotic hatred and willingness to destroy the lives of men?

Adcadet

Storage Freak
CougTek said:
IMO, the 7N400 Pro (not 2) would be a better deal if it cost 34$ less than the Pro 2. I've rarely seen home user in need of Gigabit ethernet. That's the motherboard I have in two of my most recent systems and I'm not disapointed. I can't believe how cheap it is in the States. Here the 7N400L cost more than that.

Good point.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Mercutio said:
That's "silicone implants". You knew that, I hope.
:lol: Not all are conical, of course. Some are more round like an apple.

Anyway, regarding the Optorite, any thoughts on this? +R @ 8X like the Plextor. And $175 shipped.

Mercutio

I've only ever used the 4x models. That 8x unit doesn't look anything like the ones I've bought (DD2203, according to their site).

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Fushigi said:
Anyway, regarding the Optorite, any thoughts on this? +R @ 8X like the Plextor. And $175 shipped.
MTBF only 30000POH :tdown: Must not be built very strong.

Compare this with the 70000 hours rated for the similar Lite-On 8X DVD writer. I don't think the Lite-On should be that much more expensive.

Mercutio

That's 3.5 years, Coug, even if MBTF *did* mean "lifespan".

Again, I know the Optorite drives are cheap, but I'm pretty sure they're just the drives Sony didn't feel like putting its name on. They are usable products, particularly given Fushigi's budgetary constraint.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
SteveC said:
Pradeep said:
Adcadet said:
got my wife's HD in the mail today. I ordered it from Hypermicro on Sunday night and it was here on Wednesday (but nobody was home so it was actually received today). We shipped UPS ground, and got free shipping. I'm very impressed with Hypermicro. WD2000JB $179 shipped.

Missed out on the Dell deal for IIRC ~$30 after $200 in rebates?

Damn. When was this?

Dell made a mistake a few weeks ago and had two different $100 MIRs for the 200GB drive. Hundred/thousands leapt on the offer, tho it was doubtful that both the rebates would be honoured. The rebates were up for 2 days I believe, there was then a post on one of the DellTalk boards stating that only one of the rebates would be honoured, excepting a small number of order that had already been shipped out, anyone else would have the option of cancelling. A day later, Dell decided that anyone who bought a drive within the first two days would be eligible for the $200, they even have a special $200 rebate form for them. Must have cost them millions. I would have got one myself, but didn't have the $220 upfront (plus those WD rebates usually take about 8-10 weeks for me).

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
I'll be happy with Buffy Bot. :mrgrn:

Buy.com has the retail TDK IndiDVD 420N 4x DVD+R/+RW dribe for $150=$50 rebate =1- rebate giving a not bad price of $90. Shipping from $7 (bensbargains.net)

And amazon.com has the Memorex 25 pack spindles of 4x DVD+R and -R for $30.

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
A little late as usual, but lately I've used:
Asus A7V600
Barton, boxed
PNY Geforce GFX cards
Enlight or Compucase cases
keytronic keyboards
Logitech mice
Samsung HD's
LG for cd-burners
Samsung/Samtron for monitors.
512 Kingston

Pretty consistent in my builds...

Adcadet

Storage Freak
Mercutio said:
So why build all the robot women?

Guys, I think we should keep an eye on adcadet. I think he's building an army of lesbian robots in a psychotic attempt to rule the greater St. Paul metroplex.

I live in Minneapolis now, FYI.

Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to histo I go. Wish me luck on my midterm! Hopefully I won't have to unleash my "girls."

Adcadet

Storage Freak
Pradeep said:
Just keep your boys in your pants.

Funny you mention that. The written portion was officially described as "like getting your penis caught in a zipper."

e_dawg

Storage Freak
Sorry for bringing this thread back and on topic, but I just got a Gigabyte 7N400-Pro2 to replace the Abit NF7-S that I had to RMA (was DOA). First time I've used a Gigabyte board since the P3 / early Athlon days.

Very nice design and thoughtful touches all around as Merc said, but a very stupid design decision putting a capacitor right next to the corner of the CPU socket. I had to bend it by 15 degrees or so to install my HSF (Tt SilentBoost, which isn't a particularly large HSF by today's standards). No mounting holes, either.

So far runs very well. Got a Tbred 1800+ running stable at 2500+, a big improvement over the ECS K7S5A Pro, which couldn't break 2200+ when it was working (sent it back because it was not working more often than it was working).