Took a chance

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Ordered my first Gigabyte motherboard today. A 'GA-P35C-DS3R'.
Should be here in a few days.

Bozo :joker:

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I've been advertising P35 motherboards for at least two weeks now. I don't know if it has been released, but I know for sure it is for sale.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
In the 12+ years I have been building computers, I have bought 1 AOpen (AX6B?) motherboard (that is still running) and 1 ASUS motherboard (which I plan on setting on fire) all the rest were Intel or Supermicro. The new Gigabyte motherboard will have to meet some pretty high standards.

According to the BIOS on an Intel DG965WH, Windows Vista is the only operating system that can operate with AHCI enabled. Never tried it.
Intel recommends running the motherboard in RAID mode even if you are not using the RAID. Performance will suffer if you use just the IDE mode. (performance sucks in IDE mode...I know!)

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
AHCI is just a newer USB controller standard. OHCI was used by pretty much everything except some Via and possibly nVidia motherboards, which used a different standard, called UHCI. Having an "unsupported" USB controller is most likely referring to the Windows install environment.

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
From the wikipedia link I provided, AHCI seems not related to USB but to SATA. You need it to get hot plug support and native command queueing according to the link. It applies to the Intel ICH southbridges I think, not sure which number but probably at least ICH8 and ICH9.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
From the wikipedia link I provided, AHCI seems not related to USB but to SATA. You need it to get hot plug support and native command queueing according to the link. It applies to the Intel ICH southbridges I think, not sure which number but probably at least ICH8 and ICH9.

It's available on my ICH8 motherboard and is an option in the drives section of the BIOS.
No mention of it in the USB section.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
AHCI is just a newer USB controller standard. OHCI was used by pretty much everything except some Via and possibly nVidia motherboards, which used a different standard, called UHCI.

I just checked my nForce board, and the USB is using an OpenHCD interface. What the f' is that?

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Well, it didn't go by that name back in XP x86. And it uses the OHCI driver.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
It's up and running:thumbleft:

I installed a Core-2-Duo E6420 (2.1GHz) and 4GB of Kingston RAM (1.8v, 800MHz)
I have the CPU running at 2.4Ghz with a FSB of 300MHz. Cool!!

I'll let Prime95 run a couple of hours, then switch to F@H.
It seems Prime95 doesn't know how to handle that much RAM though.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
It's up and running:thumbleft:

I installed a Core-2-Duo E6420 (2.1GHz) and 4GB of Kingston RAM (1.8v, 800MHz)
I have the CPU running at 2.4Ghz with a FSB of 300MHz. Cool!!

I'll let Prime95 run a couple of hours, then switch to F@H.
It seems Prime95 doesn't know how to handle that much RAM though.

Sure it does, you can set the memory usage. You are running two instances of prime 95 right? With the affinity set up for each on the CPU?

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Yep. Two instances, memory usage at 3000MB for each. Task Manager shows only 2.7 GB being used.
I wonder if it has anything to do with PAE being enabled?

CPU speed = 2.55GHz, FSB = 320MHz, RAM = 800MHz.
I'm beginning to like this board/CPU combination.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I don't get it, you have four gig memory and you are trying to use three gig for each instance of prime? What if you set each to use 1500?

I don't know if your memory is maxed out or not but if you lower the memory multiplier you might be able to go up into the lower to mid 3's on that CPU, these C2D's are nuts. I got an easy 3150 out of my 2.6, I only stopped there as I liked the round 350 number on my FSB. Limiting factor for you looks like FSB, what do reviewers say your board tops out at for FSB overclock?

I am happy enough with my new system I am working on getting rid of my server and rolling everything into this one computer so looks like another good Gigabyte experience.

Edit: Wow, I just read Bozo's post on the FSB OC's. Your P35 chipset is right at the top there.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
I was trying tp force Prime95 to use more RAM, that's why the 3000MB. It doesn't seem to matter were I set it, 2.7GB is all it will go.
Actually, I don't need to test the RAM. It is not overclocked-yet. It is rated for 800MHz
I'm going to set up a hard drive with 64Bit XP and see what happens.
Another thing I thought was cool. This XP install is on a pair of Raptors in RAID zero, that was originally installed on a Intel motherboard with an older Matrix RAID chip. I just plugged the drives into the Gigabyte, set the BIOS for RAID, and it booted up!

CPU = 2.63GHz, FSB = 330MHz, RAM = 825MHZ....stock cooling.

I'm running F@H now.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
This is fun! Two instances of F@H running and IE opened plus installing software and no hick-ups. Smooth.

CPU = 2.76GHz, FSB = 345, RAM = 828 MHz.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Can you go to 400 and keep your ram at the same speed?

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
My own E6400 can't overclock at all on my GigaByte GA-965-DS3. I have 2GB of OCZ Gold 800MHz DDR2. I don't know why, but the system won't even boot if I try to run the CPU over the stock speed. I have the F11 BIOS flashed on the GigaByte board.

With a 2.76GHz E6420 with twice the amount of L2 cache my E6400 has, you will take ground back on me in the FAH race if you run it 24x7. My other two systems won't make a difference (Athlon XP 1800+ and P4 3.2GHZ).

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Can you go to 400 and keep your ram at the same speed?

There is a RAM multiplier setting that I have been using to keep the RAM near it's rated speed. I believe there is a multiplier of 2, so I can keep the RAM speed down, if the CPU will run at 400.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
CPU = 2.84GHz, FSB = 355MHz, RAM = 710MHZ using the x2 multiplier.

355MHz is a long way from 400. That would be 3.2GHZ CPU speed from a CPU rated at 2.1GHz!. And, that would be with the stock fan & heatsink.

Maybe I better read the instruction book to find out what to do when the computer won't boot or post.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
I don't think you should have any trouble hitting 3.2g with your e6420. That's where mine has been running. Try Orthos to test your stability (with both cores) very easily. I think I had to tweak up the voltage by 0.125v IIRC. DDR2 800 is all you need to get there.

ddrueding

Fixture
Be sure to keep an eye on your temps if you are going to bump the voltage with a stock cooler. I'd recommend something a little bigger.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy!!

CPU = 3.2Ghz, FSB = 400, RAM = 1000MZ, CPU Votage = 1.365 (1.35 stock)
Still on stock heatsink/fan.

I need to find a good temperature monitoring app.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Make sure you run Orthos on both cores for about 12 hours. I could boot and run windows no problem at stock voltage but there would be errors under Orthos w/o the slight voltage boost. I didn't want to risk there being any type of longer term data corruption so I thought the v boost would be the safest bet.

C

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Make sure you run Orthos on both cores for about 12 hours. I could boot and run windows no problem at stock voltage but there would be errors under Orthos w/o the slight voltage boost. I didn't want to risk there being any type of longer term data corruption so I thought the v boost would be the safest bet.

C

I have been F@H for several hours after each FSB change. Two instances, one for each core. Task Manager reports both cores at 100%
Is this not the same as Orthos?
I might try a FSB of 410.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
I'm not sure if F@H will do the type of error checking Orthos does. It is made to test system stability under load so I would tend to trust that more than just running F@H.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
RE: Stock cooling. I took a 1" wide piece of notebook paper and wrapped around the outside of the FAN on the CPU cooler. This keeps the ends of the fan blades from creating turbulance and smooths the airflow.
Dropped the CPU temp by 2 Degrees C. Now running 56C with the CPU at 100% for a few hours.
Definately need a better cooling solution.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
I'm not sure if F@H will do the type of error checking Orthos does. It is made to test system stability under load so I would tend to trust that more than just running F@H.

Looks like Orthos is Prime95 with some updates and a GUI front end. Setting up to run overnight.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
The Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro is probably the best value for an LGA775 heatsink. It isn't near of the cooling prowess of the category leaders like the Thermalright Ultra120 Extreme, but it's cheap, relatively quiet and a lot better than the stock Intel heatsink. It isn't too heavy either. I've used it several times in the past with good results.

The various tests I've seen recently all concludes to the same fact : downward coolers offer zero benefit over tower heatsinks. The motherboard components are not even cooler with downward heatsinks. If you have a rear fan to exhaust the hot air, then there will be some airflow to cool-off the excess heat produced by the motherboard VRM circuitry so you don't have to bother about having a fan blowing (hot) air directly on them. If, however, you don't believe me, then the two most effective downward heatsinks are the Thermaltake MaxOrb and the huge CoolerMaster Gemini II. They both are an order of magnitude behind the Thermalright Ultra120 Extreme tower, although their selling price doesn't aknowledge this (The Gemini II is very expensive).