Took a chance

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
This is getting scary:

CPU = 3.32GHz, FSB = 412MHz, RAM = 813MHz.
Still with stock heatsink/fan.

RAM doesn't like being over 800MHz. According to Orthos.

Bozo :joker:

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Wait for July 22nd. How many times will I have to write it? WAIT FOR JULY 22ND!

Didn't understand?

WAIT FOR JULY 22ND!

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
35%+ stable OC?

Had to reduce FSB to 400MHZ. The memory doesn't like being above 800MHZ. There is no way to adjust the memory speed, just a multiplier. The lowest is x2. Voltage adjustments didn't help either.

ddrueding

Fixture
I bought DDR2-1000 in anticipation of C2D goodness. It's a complete waste in my current system; I can't OC at all without instability.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
I thought I would be happy with 800MHz RAM. That's what I get for thinking.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
I doubt you'd get much further without exotic cooling, anyway. Everything else is running in-spec at DDR2-800 speeds so that's the sweet spot. The small bit more you might get would only be important if you wanted bragging rights, IMO.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I don't know, but I've seen Directron around for quite a while now. They are at least 7 years old, probably more. I never ordered there however. Last time I checked, they didn't ship to Québec.

You probably have small computer shops near you that sell the Freezer 7 Pro. It is pretty popular.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Yes. Directron is good. Bought lots of stuff from them w/o problems.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Trusting a vender with your personal information is important when you are buying something. I'll defer to timwhit's resellerratings link for the rest.

Then again, we are talking about a HSF here. Never had to even think about returning one of those.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I have bought and RMA'd stuff from Directron. They're a perfectly good internet retailer.

I also really like Provantage. They tend to be a little cheaper on Printer supplies and some network kit than other places online.

Anyway, yeah... overclocking C2Ds. Really, really easy. Been saying so for a while. I get better results from E4300s than E6320s, due to the higher multiplier. I've tried lots of expensive air-cooling stuff, too.

I didn't like the Scythe Ninja/Infinity cooler. My system overheated constantly under them.

My system does better with a Geminus II cooler (overall temps are much, much lower than with the Scythe), but it's so completely enormous that it's actually painful to try to work with it. I have a Geminus II on my gaming system right now.

I have a similar Silverstone Nitrogen cooler on the system next to my bed, which manages to get temps about 5C cooler than the stock Intel fan, when combined with a non-sucky fan (Noctua, Scythe or Antec 800rpm).

My current favorite is the Thermaltake V1. Seems to cool better than a Scythe, and it's vastly easier to install. Basically, it's less work to deal with. I like that.

Also, there's nothing wrong with Intel's stock cooler, but it's a little bit loud at times and I don't like that there's no fan guard on the stupid thing.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Good info. I have the Scythe Ninja and it is indeed somewhat of a PITA. If I didn't already have one I would have gotten something different. I don't have any problem with temps though (I do have a super quiet 92mm fan on it though)

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
I looked at the F@H numbers and they only use the standard clients and not the SMP clients. The SMP client produces drasticly larger points per day on specific CPU's like the intel 4M (cache size) Core Two Duo's and the Quads. We are talking at least 4x-6x the point values given. The numbers used for the standard client are accurate though.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
I never had a multiple cpu computer. My Core 2 Duo is running the standard F@H client.
I will have to change to SMP as soon as posible.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
You really need the big-cache (4M) C2D to get the best results. The 2M cache versions don't do nearly as well (only 2.5x). There are also numerous installation issues that make the SMP client much flakier than the standard client.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
You really need the big-cache (4M) C2D to get the best results. The 2M cache versions don't do nearly as well (only 2.5x). There are also numerous installation issues that make the SMP client much flakier than the standard client.

I Have an E6420 with 4MB of memory.
I downloaded and installed the SMP version. Doesn't seem to be much different. I was running two instances of the standard program with each instance assigned to a different core.
The SMP version doesn't appear to be any faster either. Did I miss something in setup? Task Manager shows both cores at 100%.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
How are you judging faster? Both clients are going to produce 100% CPU usage but the difference is how many point you get in the same time period. It also is dependant (like the standard client) on which WU's you get: Some produce much better points than others. Check out www.fahinfo.org which compares different HW with different WU and the net PPD ...

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
I ordered the cpu cooler from Directron Thursday. Expected delivery is Thursday, July 5. They must ship it via United Pack-mule Service. :crap:

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
one thing I liked about them in the past was that you could use USPS for some of their stuff.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Try Orthos to test your stability (with both cores) very easily.
How much time do you test each frequency in order to determine that it's stable? Half-an-hour of Orthos should be enough, isn't it? Otherwise, it will take an insane amount of time to determine what's the maximal stable frequency of a setup.

My previously unoverclockable E6400 is now operating at 294MHz fsb for a CPU frequency of 2.35GHz. The chassis and PSU change apparently did help. I do 5MHz fsb jumps. I test each bump for half-an-hour. I plan to test for a full hour once (if) I reach 3GHz CPU clock.

I'll have to upgrade the stock Intel heatsink. It will become too noisy to my taste at 3GHz. Even at 2.35GHz, the iddle CPU temperature is ~44C. Already too much. My motherboard is a GigaByte GA-965P-DS3 and my RAM is a 2GB kit of OCZ Gold 800MHz memory.

ddrueding

Fixture
As I'm stepping up the FSB, all I check for is whether it will get to a desktop. After it fails, I start backing down and checking about 10 minutes of Prime95. After I find a stable speed, I run it overnight to be sure (and may experiment with lower voltages as well).

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Weird. It took less time to complete a FAH frame when the FSB was at 284MHz then it is taking now with the FSB at 300MHz. RAM timings are supposed to be the same. Not fun. Orthos ran for at least two, if not three hours (I forgot about it and did something else meanwhile) without giving me any error.

Sol

Storage is cool
Aren't F@H frames of variable size (in terms of work to do) you probably just got a bigger one at 300Mhz...

My overclocking methodology lacks finesse compared to you guys. I just push the FSB up a random amount each time based on what he machine "feels" like it can handle, then when I can't boot back into the bios to push it any higher I drop it back a little. When I've dropped it back enough to get it into windows I play a couple of games of something to test it, get distracted and finish overclocking some other day.

So far my Gigabyte DS4 will do the refuse to boot thing and restart and reset my settings even when I have a fairly stable overclock going (i.e if I can coax the thing into booting it will run stably pretty much indefinitely even if the board will only boot at that clock speed 50% of the time.) which is really quite annoying.

I have a thermalright ultra 120 and a coolermaster gemini II, currently the ultra 120 seems a little better but I'm suspicious of that result since it shouldn't cool the chipset nearly as well and that seems to be the bottleneck for me. I'm planning to try some different RAM when I get some for my server box and see if that helps any since I kind of figure I should be able to squeeze a little more than 2.5Ghz out of an E4300 based on everyone else's results.
The heat pumped out by my 2900XT probably doesn't help though.

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
So far, the downward facing fans cooling the motherboard better being better appears to be a myth.

..." We have tried to keep an open mind about the supposed advantages of down-facing fans. The arguments and logic are persuasive - a fan or fans blowing down should also cool your motherboard components better, and that should mean better performance. The argument is logical enough, but unfortunately the execution leaves a lot to be desired. So far we have tested three down-facing designs - the Cooler Master GeminII, Scythe Andy Samurai Master, and Thermaltake MaxOrb. That's quite an illustrious group, but none of these three could really compete with our top tier of coolers.

We are left to ask the question if down-facing cools better, then why can't these down-facing designs compete with the best heatpipe towers in performance? We have no auxiliary cooling in our test bed, so the down-facing designs should shine in better performance. Unfortunately they don't."...

http://www.anandtech.com/casecoolingpsus/showdoc.aspx?i=3001&p=9
http://www.anandtech.com/casecoolingpsus/showdoc.aspx?i=3001

In all my reading of cooler reviews, no downward blowing cooler is better than the side facing ones. In fact, of all the reviews on xbit and anandtech and a few other sites, side facing air coolers rule.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
I changed the CPU to a Core 2 Duo E6550 2.33 GHz.
Presently it is running at 3.18GHz, 455 FSB, 910MHz memory.
Cool.
Running F@H SMP for a few hours after every speed increase.
Looking good!

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Core 2 Duo E6550 now running at 3.32GHz, 475MHz FSB, Memory at 950MHz.

Zipity-Do-Da.

Stock Cooling

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
E6550 now at 3.39GHz, 485MHz FSB, 970MHz memory.

I'm going for a FSB of 500.

F@H SMB runs fine so far.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
E6550 now at 3.39GHz, 485MHz FSB, 970MHz memory.

I'm going for a FSB of 500.

F@H SMB runs fine so far.

Bus speed is at 495MHz. Folding has been running for an hour or so.

Tomorrow 500MHz.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
FSB = 500MHz; CPU = 3.5GHz; Memory = 1000MHz
Stock cooling.

F@H SMP is running. We'll see how long it last.