WD to launch 2TB drives, lose data

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
It appears that Windows 7 is going to use the same harebrained layout of SKUs that Vista did; there's an Ultimate and a Starter and a Basic, at least.
Garbage.

We just need Windows/386 and Windows/286... er, I mean x64 and 32-bit.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Why not multiple versions? Different markets have different feature needs and will pay accordingly. There are an extra couple of versions not really needed, but 7 is probably intended to replace the Vista versions, one for one.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
One nice thing about the Windows 7 SKUs: Higher versions have all the included features of lower versions. This means that Windows 7 Professional will have the DVD making and media center features found in Home Premium.

Handruin

Administrator
Looks like good potential. Is it 7200RPM? I would buy that drive if it performs well enough.

Handruin

Administrator
Bummer. I haven't been following that line of drives. I guess they must have their place if people keep buying them.

LunarMist

That WD 2TB drive is back in stock. For some reason I did not buy one. :(

LunarMist

That is a partial answer, but also I'd rather have a retail drive. Another reason is that the 5400RPM drives are good for backups, yet there are no 7200RPM 2TB drives to back up.

LunarMist

That does not increase capacity as much, not to mention the economics of a RAID controller. :eek: Alternatively one could split the 2TB drive.

I also noticed the WD15EADS (1.5TB) drive listed this weekend at a more reasonable cost/GB ratio.

LunarMist

I tried Samsung once and the warranty was rejected. I assumed that was due to it being an OEM drive, but I did not follow up.

Stereodude

Not really a
Regardless, they're all out to lunch. Seagate 7200RPM 1.5's have dipped as low as ~$100. Paying ~$150 for a 5400RPM 1.5TB drive is just stupid.

LunarMist

Heh, you probably don't think it was wise to buy the 32GB X25-E last year for $650 either. :mrgrn:

Last edited:

Stereodude

Not really a
Heh, you probably don't think it was wise to buy the 32GB X25-E last year for $650 either. :mrgrn:
I wouldn't have spent the money, but it's quite a bit different from buying a 1.5TB 5400RPM drive for $150-$160 when you can get a 1.5TB 7200RPM drive for $~100-120. In the case of your Intel SSD, you can't get a higher performing SSD for 2/3rds the price (that I'm aware of).

LunarMist

I almost ordered the 1.5TB WD drive from the rotten egg. Fortunately, I waited and now see that they are up to the old trick of misrepresenting an OEM product as a retail one.

It is probably best to wait a few months and see what develops in large HD land.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
they are up to the old trick of misrepresenting an OEM product as a retail one.

Who cares? OEM drives are sold without a data cable, a disc with some worthless software on it and no pretty box. They have the same warranty and are otherwise the same product as the retail units.

The only times "OEM" are an issue are CPUs, where OEM means no HSF and no warranty, and for products marked for a specific OEM such as Dell or Compaq.

LunarMist

Merc,

I'm only concerned about the packaging/shipping risk. Are you reselling some of those drives or is there a PB HD array in your home?

LunarMist

I bought one in the store today for much less than the Egg. Computer is not seeing it for some reason.

LunarMist

The drive is fine. Transfer rates are good, starting at 101MB/sec. and decaying to about 50 (average is about 80 MB/sec.). That is more than my old Hitachi 1TB drives. Of course access time is high, typical for the 5400 RPM drive that it must be. It is fast enough for large data files and especially backups. These should be popular in building ever larger HTPCs etc.

ddrueding

Fixture
100+MB/s from a 5400RPM...who woulda thought.

Very basic and not entirely related question:

Lots of small files, copied in bulk, are copied sequentially, correct? As such, their transfer rate is closer to STR rather than seek limited, correct?

LunarMist

Copy speed slows down with small files, but that happens with all drives. It is about half full and the speed is still very good, similar to the Seagate. I'm sure that perfomance will suffer when the drive is more full and when fragmentation sets in. I always use 32K clusters. The drive sure smells odd.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
100+MB/s from a 5400RPM...who woulda thought.

Very basic and not entirely related question:

Lots of small files, copied in bulk, are copied sequentially, correct? As such, their transfer rate is closer to STR rather than seek limited, correct?

If stored sequentially then bulk copies will be done sequentially. However, if not stored sequential then bulk copies will not be done sequentially. Even a defragmented drive does not mean file1, file2, file3, file4 won't be stored on the HD as file3, file1, file4, file2 and in that case there will be seeks and everything will be seek limited..

LOST6200

Storage is cool
If jyst a few files does the command squering kcik in? Sure, it does not help fo r a bunch of small files endlessly folwing.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Actually, I would think the opposite, especially if you're using a journaling file system. The more files that you copy, the more file system overhead.