WD to launch 2TB drives, lose data

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
You could use it as a write buffer.

Yes, but given the disparity between the speed of the drive and the rest of the PC, it might not be a performance increase to do so. Everything fundamentally boils down to waiting on the drive to spin and seek.

Modern OSes already do lazy writes to the hard disk.

Handruin

Administrator
My e-mail notification shows he wrote something different than the current message you see. He must have edited his response for some reason.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
You could use it as a write buffer.

This makes me wonder if cache buffer would help an SSD. Is there none in the X25-E? There would be enough space if there were 3.5" drives rather than 2.5" drives.

LunarMist

How much cache and what battery? Or do you mean there is a cap just sufficient to allow writing the buffer contents?

LunarMist

What is the source of your information? I found nothing in the data sheet.

LunarMist

I'm skeptical, since a 256MB buffer would exhibit different write speeds at different file lengths. I'm not seeing that in ATTO or other write tests.

Last edited:

LunarMist

All Mormons don't wear that style underwear, at least not in daily life. Don't ask how I know. :)

LunarMist

Is this about the WD 7200 RPM 2TB drive? I'll probably replace a couple of 1TB drives with them in Q3, so there will be >18.8 TB on the main system. Then maybe 6 more 2TB for 1TB swaps will be feasible later on.

ddrueding

Fixture
I'm swapping out 16 750GB drives in RAID-5 with hotspare for 10 2TB drives in RAID-10. It is all backed up elsewhere anyway, so the extra redundancy isn't worth the poor write performance.