Windows 10

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Did you try making other resolution selections?

Yes, but that did not work. I was able to use it on the older computer, the Devil Canyon.

I'm not sure what I was expecting, but not a 1980s interface. :eek:

LunarMist

I imaged the parturition via Macrium, but on the new drive the BitLocker causes issues with partition utilities when reducing the size.
Apparently the original was corrupted somehow and when I attempt repair it is messed up. I guess it is time for the DVD.

LunarMist

How to I get remove Cortana completely and where is the ****ing Control Panel? It's like the Windows 10 was developed by a mental case and/or a cell phone user. Most of the "apps" don't want to be to uninstalled. :mad:

Newtun

Storage is nice, especially if it doesn't rotate
****ing Control Panel
To get the New Windows Control Panel, hit the Windows key - there's a little icon like a gear in the lower left, for Windows Settings. If you click that, enter "control panel" in the top search bar there, and you can get the old version, which has some overlap with the New one.

Last edited:

LunarMist

LunarMist

Is anyone having issues with the Coratana after the April updates? Apparently it locks up the machine. :(

LunarMist

When you write software, don't you provide some documentation for the users? I understand that may be online, but a random Bing or the Google aren't the best options.
At least there should be some local file, which may be html or something else nowadays. I'm not expecting internet access in the wilds.
My main point is why take something away that was working fine? That is one little thing, but next month maybe my apps won't work at all.

Handruin

Administrator
Yes, documentation is typically created. I'm also not writing software as complicated as windows. The kinds of things I might Google are not something I want to spend 40 minutes reading through windows documents anyway to find out how something like group policy works when I'm looking to make one quick change.

The reason I see things taken away is because at some point they get deprecated so that some other process or component is managed in a different way that one might hope is better. The old chm docs may not have aligned with the processes used for documentation being maintained for this newer version of Windows. I have no real insight to why it was changed. Things like this happen and it could be a bad decision but it is what it is.

The last time I had an issue getting an app to work was when I upgraded my mom's Windows XP system to windows 7 probably in 2011? The app was an old 16 bit solitaire game I found her many years ago and I was able to eventually get it working using the internal hyper V emulation of Windows XP.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Local documentation is a bit like driver disks. Handy to have, but, in most cases, completely outdated and useless.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
I'm not finding a lot of clarity on the Google machine about this:

Will Windows 7/8/8.1 keys always activate Windows 10?

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
I don't have access to to VLKs, but I'm expecting at least a few folks with OEM keys who skipped the free upgrade period to come to me to get Win10. It'll be nice if I don't have to buy a key, unless they want to upgrade to Pro.

And I guess I'll be holding on to my copy of 7 Ultimate forever.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
@sechs... I did a two last week (Win 7 Pro OEM) and they activated fine. (Clean installation of Windows 10 - not an upgrade).

I did some further reading, VLK, Enterprise and Upgrade keys won't activate. (VLK/Enterprise keys should be on software assurance anyway, so a non-issue).

For OEM keys there are mixed reports, so it could come down to the method they are installing Win10, as this is not being reported (eg clean or upgrade from an existing installation). Also I'm unsure of how it works if the license key is embedded in the BIOS as well? (eg HP/Lenovo laptops).

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
From Windows 7, I'll be insisting on a clean install, to reduce the chance of things getting mucked up. From 8/8.1, I will allow upgrades.

Haven't seen any machines with an embedded key, but it doesn't sound promising.

LunarMist

My Win 10 laptop keeps notifying me that it needs to update the malware, but that I am not connected to the internet.
It reminds me of the oxymorons. :smack

Stereodude

Not really a
So the April 2018 update to Windows 10 breaks the ability to resolve local PCs (on the same lan/subnet) by hostname. For example, I can't RDP in another box using the PC hostname, and worst of all I can't map network drives using the PC hostname. Using the IP directly works (once I know it), but not the hostname of the other PC. Is Microsoft really this stupid/cruel? Do they really think everyone with a small home LAN is running their own DNS server to do hostname resolution? How are they expecting hostname resolution to be handled? Most of my PCs are using DHCP and switching everything to an IP that changes from time to time isn't practical or desired.

Edit: My understanding is that this is caused because MS removed "SMB v1.0" and "CIFS" services due to a critical bug that allows for remote code execution. That's all well and good, but they haven't given users any workaround short of re-enabling SMB v1.0?

Last edited:

Stereodude

Not really a
Okay, so I think I got this sorted out, maybe. My router is now playing nice as the DNS server for the hostnames of my LAN PCs (that I've tested so far). It seems the fact that my server had a static IP caused the DNS service in the router to not recognize the host name and all the older deprecated services are no longer there to play backup resolving it. I gave the server a static DHCP assignment in the router to the same IP. Once I did that the hostname of the server would resolve (even with the server still set to a static IP). When I had tried to assign a static DHCP IP in the router after switching it to 10gig SFP+ from 1GbE the other day it wouldn't actually give that IP to the server. When I tried it today it did gave out the assigned DHCP address. No idea why it didn't before...

It's working okay both ways between my desktop and the server. I'll see if it's working right for other computers once I get home.

LunarMist

The Windows Update on the work computer is forcing us to update by next week. :(

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
PSA: If you mount an external drive on a filesystem path and not as a drive letter, Windows 10 won't let you eject the device. (Apparently only devices mounted as a drive letter can be ejected).

And the stupid bug of the day - Excel 2016.... You can't open two excel spreadsheets that both the same filename, despite being in two different locations.

LunarMist

And the stupid bug of the day - Excel 2016.... You can't open two excel spreadsheets that both the same filename, despite being in two different locations.

Excel has been like that since practically forever.

Stereodude

Not really a
PSA: If you mount an external drive on a filesystem path and not as a drive letter, Windows 10 won't let you eject the device. (Apparently only devices mounted as a drive letter can be ejected).
Are you sure about that? I've ejected drives that didn't have any letters assigned to them before using the icon in the system tray.

LunarMist

Is the Windows Defense sufficient if the web is not used? I feel the antivirus is as bad as the unlikely potential maleware in sucking info.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
I'd just let it be. Leave it on.

Agreed, Defenders appears to be no better or worse than other AV products. IIRC, Windows Defender tends to rank as the least performance intrusive AV product...

Where 3rd party AV products seem to differentiate themselves are the plugins for email client and web browsers these days. (And zero-day vulnerabilities allowing 3rd party attackers easier access to your system).

Grandy33

What is this storage?
I have been using Windows 10 over 2 years. I enjoyed a lot this one like Windows 7. This is really interesting for me. Automatically get the important updates when I am online.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Microsoft goes out of its way to mess you up that way, Angelwings. There are three reliable ways to beat it:

(1) Pay double the price for a professional version of Windows 10
(2) Stick with Windows 8, which is faster and (assuming you are not brain-dead and use Classic Shell) has a better user interface
(3) Don't use Windows.

Stereodude

Not really a
You missed one.

4) Don't connect it to the internet.

Also, I thought only the Enterprise version allowed updates to be turned off.

LunarMist

You missed one.

4) Don't connect it to the internet.

Also, I thought only the Enterprise version allowed updates to be turned off.

I haven't connected my laptop to the internet since April when it was initially set up. I do have some concerns about the USB, but am careful outside of North America.