Windows 10

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a
Yes it activated as Windows 10 Pro automatically by the BIOS, but I don't see the connection you're trying to make.

After Windows 10 asks you for your name and your password (setting up the PC) it makes you pick 3 security questions and give answers for use in resetting your password if you forgot it. Of course the options for the questions are the sort that someone could find the answers for using the typical person's social media accounts or they're questions you won't remember the answer to. For example I have no idea what I would have answered was my favorite movie in 2002 or 2007 or even 2013.
I would probably use my standard hint, 16-digit alpha numeric data totally unrelated to the question. I am not in the F***b**k, Tw*t***, etc. so nobody would know them.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
I clean installed the 1809 build of Windows 10 on my Dell XPS 13 tonight. I see Microsoft has gone full on stupid and now forces you to answer 3 easily socially engineered questions in case you forget your password. Random gibberish answers eliminated that gaping security hole.
Just upgraded to 1709 a couple months ago.

Maybe they'll have that fixed in the next year. ;-)

B

blackwateri

Windows 10 says my password is incorrect, never changed it in past few months. how to get rid of the message and get into the desktop?

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Well, I guess I'll have to be obvious:

Is there a cheap way to get it done?
Is there a way to get a DVD or some sort of media that you can reuse if you want to do a clean install?

Examples: We have two Dells, both out of warranty. It would be nice to have a disk, or some form of media that you could use to install, or reinstall the OS, and get rid of Dells' wonderful software and influence.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
I'm starting to see laptops that are checking the boxes I'm interested in:
17.3" screen
DVD/Bluray player
decent processor, ram, and
an SSD for a boot drive.
wifi a/c
and priced under 1000 dollars.

Problem is about 100% have Windows 10 home.

I would like to upgrade to 10 Pro, due to networking issues and I like the diagnostic stuff.

Given a choice, I would clean install, and would like a copy of windows if something goes down, and requires a off support reinstall.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Thanks for the link.
That's the answer to the situation I've been facing.

We have a Dell laptop that would really be far better with an SSD, but, since it's out of warranty, how do you do a clean install, on a new drive?
The laptop has 8.1 on it, and we don't have any media with that, or for that matter, the activation code.

The processor, and everything else is fast enough to be current. Only the hard drive is slow.

Spending 200 bucks on a new os we don't really want, Windows 10, and the cost of the SSD make it too expensive to do. Better just buy another one.

Last edited:

Handruin

Administrator
If the laptop already has Windows 10, you just need to install and run the Windows Media Creation tool I linked to and it will create you an installable Windows 10 (all versions) onto a USB stick that you can keep for offline installs. When using it to install you will not need to enter your license key (unless you choose to upgrade to the pro version). This utility will do exactly what you want.

Stereodude

Not really a
I clean installed the 1809 build of Windows 10 on my Dell XPS 13 tonight. I see Microsoft has gone full on stupid and now forces you to answer 3 easily socially engineered questions in case you forget your password. Random gibberish answers eliminated that gaping security hole.
So I think is pretty much a record for the shortest duration of a "working" Windows install. I powered up the computer today for the first time since I installed it back in December on the new NVMe SSD, I got to the login screen like normal, got a longer than expected delay after entering my password welcoming me, and never actually got to a working desktop. I got the desktop wallpaper image, but no taskbar, desktop icons, or anything. CTRL+ALT+DEL would bring up the standard menu, I could bring up the task manager, but I couldn't get any further. Attempting to manually launch explorer or anything else didn't work. Two successive power cycles and attempts to get to the desktop were equally fruitless.

The installation was about as clean as it gets. I had only installed three things. ClassicShell, Spybot Anti-Beacon, and Firefox. So basically, I never even used the system and it somehow it managed to eat itself.

So, now I'm clean installing it again... :mad:

Handruin

Administrator
There is evidence that people have had issues with the key they purchased from one of these gray market sites. Assuming the key you buy isn't from an MSDN subscription or OEM you would technically be breaking the EULA which is the same as pirating windows. I don't care if you do it, I'm just saying there is some risk with a $12 key purchase.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
I was suspicious myself, but haven't had any problems with these cheap keys.

Should MS suddenly decide that one I received isn't genuine, I'd still be well ahead buying another one.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Handruin:
Do you know if the same technique, and program would work on Windows 8.1?

What I'm thinking is taking the Dell Laptop, installing 8.1, clean, on an SSD.

Does Dell make the drivers for their hardware proprietary so you can't get them, and do such upgrades?

Stereodude

Not really a
... Assuming the key you buy isn't from an MSDN subscription or OEM you would technically be breaking the EULA which is the same as pirating windows. ...
I'm pretty sure that breaking some EULA (that you would have no idea you were breaking) is not the same as piracy in the eyes of the law/courts.

Handruin

Administrator
The point wasn't the legal consequence to you as the consumer but more that MS may just invalidate the license because of the way it was sold outside of their EULA. I'd expect MS would go after the seller versus you if they chose to pursue it. I guess for $12 it might be worth the risk if the site you buy it from is trustworthy with your personal info and credit card number.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
There are so many of these sellers, and they're moving so many keys. If MS cared, they'd at least be trying to shut them down.

It's easy enough to use Windows totally unactivated. If MS is looking to monetize Windows to home users in ways other than just licensing fees, the more users the better.

Handruin

Administrator
Handruin:
Do you know if the same technique, and program would work on Windows 8.1?

What I'm thinking is taking the Dell Laptop, installing 8.1, clean, on an SSD.

Does Dell make the drivers for their hardware proprietary so you can't get them, and do such upgrades?
@Santilli
MS used to have a similar utility for Windows 8.1 and they may still have one I just haven't looked.

I haven't had a Dell laptop in a while so it's tough to answer you there regarding drivers. I would guess that they do not have a large amount of proprietary drivers and even if they did you can typically download them all right from their website. If you stayed with Windows 10 you would get more included drivers if that's your concern.

Stereodude

Not really a
Are there really any cases where the Windows 8.1 drivers won't work in Windows 10? I used Windows 7 and Vista drivers in 10 before on a few hardware devices.

Last edited:

Handruin

Administrator
I don't think so. I see many drivers for motherboards listed as Win8-Win10 and they work fine. I just meant that Windows 10 might do a better job of pulling in more-recent drivers automatically vs Win8 but that's just a subjective opinion. I don't have anything to back that up concretely.