Windows 10

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I've been running Windows 10 at home on my TV PC, an Intel NUC with a wired connection and no particularly strong demands placed on it, but on Day 2 of having Windows 10 on my Thinkpad and here are my thoughts now that I've completely set up my environment:

1. This shit is SLOW. I'm on an i7 with 16GB RAM. All the storage is solid state. Why can't my PC keep up with keystrokes? The beta of Windows 8 wasn't like this. I thought maybe the machine was just busy indexing or something. Nope. There's only 250,000 files on the whole system and I left it running over night. It's just slow.
2. Audio is approximately AM Radio Potato quality. All static, all the time. I switched from the usual Realtek output to a pair of USB speakers. Since that didn't help, I suspect there's something more than just a driver issue at play. My NUC does not seem to have audio issues, but it outputs throught HDMI.
3. Cortana is even more retarded than I thought. Its default behavior is to search personal files FIRST, then the Internet and THEN local programs and settings. It also seems to drop my first two or three keystrokes about 80% of the time, so a search for "winword" becomes a search for "nword." The pre-Cortana search actually worked better and for my purposes I'm almost always better off with Win-R instead.
4. Windows 10 can't find an IP printer to save its life. There's eight on my LAN. I know their IPs. If I bring a Win 8 machine in the building, they'll all be installed in 20 minutes without any user interaction at all. 10 finds ONE printer if I go tell it to search the LAN and doesn't automatically install any of them. On the other hand, it picked up about two dozen Windows shared printers from over VPN connections. I'm back to manually adding IP printers like I'm some kind of Vista-using peasant.
5. Modern-style Apps are extra-slow. Again, using an i7. Why does it take five seconds for the Weather or News App to show me the same crap that's already in the live tile? I believe this includes the whole Start Menu. There's just always a pause. Even installing them takes a lot longer than it did on 8.
6. File Explorer is not slow. It's zippy, just like it was in 8.x. The Folders List that's part of the default view drives me nuts, as does the continued discontinuity in not being able to use Libraries in the same fashion as folders when it might make sense to do so.
7. Wireless passwords are part of my Microsoft Account. On Windows 8, once I sign in, I don't have to type them, just click and connect. They don't seem to be stored or available to Windows 10. I keep having to type them in.
8. Neither the Settings Menu nor Control Panel is necessarily visible on the default Start Menu. Thinking of how many times I've wanted to visit them as I've been using this PC today makes me think that is a huge problem. The Start menu has changed a couple times already, so at least I have hopes that this will be fixed.

Stereodude

Not really a
Why are they doing that? I'm naturally very suspicious of anything that is free or low cost. Will MS be spying on everything or taking control of the computer with no recourse, etc. in the future?
So apparently the upgraded for pirated copies will still be considered pirated. So it will constantly remind you that they're not legit and disable parts of the OS. I can't see many people upgrading fully functional but pirated copies of Win 7 / 8.x to Windows 10 for that deal.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
So apparently the upgraded for pirated copies will still be considered pirated. So it will constantly remind you that they're not legit and disable parts of the OS. I can't see many people upgrading fully functional but pirated copies of Win 7 / 8.x to Windows 10 for that deal.

I don't mean for the crooks, but for the normal installations. How long will 7 be viable for hardware and software?

Mercutio

I don't mean for the crooks, but for the normal installations. How long will 7 be viable for hardware and software?

Probably a very long time. Vista is still entirely viable now. XP is only mildly problematic for some notebook PCs, though application compatibility is starting to become an issue. There's no reason to think that there's a change in driver model or major shift in hardware requirements on the horizon.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Just don't buy from those OEMs? Unless Gigabyte starts doing that on their motherboards, then we have a problem.

Mercutio

That might present a problem for consumer laptops. I could very easily see Acer or HP shipping crippled product. On the other hand, Mint will boot on a Surface Pro, so even a locked down machine might be made usable for *nix if the right people decide to address the problem.

LunarMist

It seems like a MS ripoff in the name of security. I don't see the retail MB doing that or at least not for years.
What happens when the hard drive is replaced?

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
That might present a problem for consumer laptops. I could very easily see Acer or HP shipping crippled product.
This exactly... What you could see is that general consumer based models are locked, but corporate models are not (due to HP, Lenovo, Dell, etc support RHEL on the corporate models).

For those of us that build our own desktops, I don't see Asus, Gigabyte, MSI, etc locking the BIOS down for the forseeable future unless there is (for example) a requirement with Windows 11 and OEM partner certification to mandate it...

Mercutio

How does Mint do that?

Apparently Ubuntu derivatives have a compatible bootloader, though the hardware support isn't perfect. I'm surprised that it boots at all but at the same time, when was the last time you used a Linux machine where the pointing device was the thing keeping your machine from being useful?

LunarMist

You'd rather buy it than get it for free?

If free is a download, then yes. The real question is whether I can upgrade from Win 7 Pro x64 OEM disc to 10. Will that be possible? It was not possible to upgrade from XP to 7, which is one reason I avoided it so long. :(

Mercutio

The XP to Vista upgrade took hours and hours and it failed fairly often. Remember that there were some pretty huge structural changes to user profiles and the driver model between XP and Vista, and it could be that there were enough points of failure that MS simply decided not to support the upgrade. 7 to 8 to 8.1 to 10 are all essentially the same OS.

Mercutio

Project Spartan was added to Windows 10 as of last night's Windows 10 update.
There's no ad-blocking, no sign of any add-on support and not even A9 search plugins can be added.
The UI is very similar to Chrome and Firefox, only without all those confusing options and settings; there are only maybe a half-dozen user settings that can be configured at all. It won't even import bookmarks from IE.
Spartan, like all current modern apps, takes longer to start than they probably should, but I will say that it draws things on the screen subjectively faster than Chrome or Firefox do. This is most noticeable on something like a tumblr image gallery.

Spartan feels more like someone decided to port a mobile browser to a desktop than anything else.

LunarMist

Project Spartan was added to Windows 10 as of last night's Windows 10 update.
There's no ad-blocking, no sign of any add-on support and not even A9 search plugins can be added.
The UI is very similar to Chrome and Firefox, only without all those confusing options and settings; there are only maybe a half-dozen user settings that can be configured at all. It won't even import bookmarks from IE.
Spartan, like all current modern apps, takes longer to start than they probably should, but I will say that it draws things on the screen subjectively faster than Chrome or Firefox do. This is most noticeable on something like a tumblr image gallery.

Spartan feels more like someone decided to port a mobile browser to a desktop than anything else.

Just the name Spartan sounds awful, like it is bare bones.

Mercutio

It's a Microsoft web browser, so I didn't expect much. I suspect that it is pretty fast, but the lack of ad and script blocking support for the moment means that it's unacceptable regardless.

Mercutio

In a move that probably doesn't surprise anyone, the new build of Windows 10 says specifically says that Windows Media Center will no longer be supported. I can't think of a Windows-based DVR alternative off the top of my head. Both SageTV and BeyondTV have also dropped support.

LunarMist

The XP to Vista upgrade took hours and hours and it failed fairly often. Remember that there were some pretty huge structural changes to user profiles and the driver model between XP and Vista, and it could be that there were enough points of failure that MS simply decided not to support the upgrade. 7 to 8 to 8.1 to 10 are all essentially the same OS.

Well, I hope there will be an upgrade disc that I could try out for compatibility purposes. I have little doubt that some older apps won't work properly or at all.

Mercutio

I'd like to say that there will be a disc-based upgrade but I suspect that it will be complicated. Microsoft will probably force upgrades through the Windows Store as it did from 8 to 8.1.

Mercutio

Apparently, Windows 10 will be made available through Windows Update for Windows 7 rather than the Windows Store. Testers are supposed to stream updates all the way into the release version.

LunarMist

What happens if your Windows drive becomes toast and your backup image fails?

I assume one would reinstall 7 and then update to 10?

I keep at least the last 10 backup images, which are duplicated locally and there are another copy or two offsite. Some recent backup images are on bootable USB flash drives.

LunarMist

Apparently, Windows 10 will be made available through Windows Update for Windows 7 rather than the Windows Store. Testers are supposed to stream updates all the way into the release version.

That would be a good way to try 10, so long as 7 would not be deactivated or something. I hope automatic updates can be disabled.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!

Ehh, aren't windows updates banned from pirated keys? I guess they could make an exception.

Mercutio

Pirated keys, yes (e.g. the infamous TPCRY key that was used on the first pirated copies of 7). But a lot of machines that are just in "Windows failed genuine validation" state do still get updates. As far as I can tell, machines in that state can continue to operate normally. They just get an annoying message on startup.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
It'll be kind of ass if I can't do a clean install....

I would hope they provide the option... but it'll mean the MS will have to make freely available installation media for all the different OS versions (something which they haven't done), and the product key entry algorithm would have to accept keys for Win7+ and handle those correctly, including handling all the different Starter edn's, N edns**, and Bing edns. That's a lot of SKUs/key types the installation media will have to handle. Also let's not forget 32bit vs 64bit keys (even though IIRC Win7 Pro keys are largely platform agnostic).

** N edn, the EU version without set IE and WMP as defaults.

LunarMist

Let us help

This site enables you to recover and install Microsoft software purchased through a retailer.

So that will not work with the OEM disks?

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
I wasn't home Sunday & Monday. Monday night I turn on the PC and a new icon is in the tray.

New Icon.JPG

It's the one before the flag. Clicking on it opens a window that talks about Win 10 and says to reserve my copy of it and if I do, it will be download (3GB) when released. There's about 6 screens. Looks like this:

Win10 Screen.JPG

Am I the only one who got it? Nobody else has commented.