Windows 10

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Hey, I resent that remark!

Also, I totally do. I have a Pentium II 300 around here somewhere. I run Windows 2000 on it.

Damn. My first computer was a PII 400 with WIN 95 17 years ago last week.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Commodore64 (really the family computer. Only had a tape deck for most of it's life, and got a floppy drive and 9pin dot matrix printer later on).
Then 286@16MHz w/ 1MB RAM, Paradise VGA (256KB RAM), 40MB HDD. (which at end of life at 287 Math co-processor and 4MB RAM upgrades). Ran Dos 3.3 + Windows 3.0, ending up at DOS 6.22 + Windows 3.11...

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
First x86 PC in the house was an XT clone with 1MB RAM and a 5MB hard disk that ran Xenix. There were other computers around, but they were scary things I wasn't supposed to touch. I definitely remember an Apollo workstation from around that time.
The first PC that was definitely, explicitly mine was a 286/16 with a Hercules display. When I graduated high school I moved up to a dual 486/33, then a dual Pentium/133, then a K6/233 and after that I lose track. ;)

sedrosken

Florida Man
Website
sedrosken.xyz
http://arstechnica.com/information-...or-free-even-if-you-dont-have-windows-7-or-8/

And like a goddamn idiot I didn't just stick it out.

Eh. I'll just slap it on the testbed PC (Pentium Dual-Core E2200, 2GB RAM, Radeon HD 4670, 250GB HDD) for the free license until I get around to putting it back on the main, if I ever actually get to that. Still, it will be good to get the license so I have the option. They did, after all, say users of the free upgrade will still be able to do clean installs.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
386/33 on DOS 6.22 and Win 3.1
Nearly the same for me. Mine was a 386/33 with DOS 5.0 and Win 3.1 and 4 MB RAM. I soon upgraded to a friend's spare 386-40 which I maxed out at 16 MB of RAM. I also put in a 387 math coprocessor (anyone remember those). This was c. 1998. The machine was dated even for its time but it served me for about a year until I ended up with a Pentium 100 which seemed blazingly fast compared to the 386.

I also ended up with a neighbor's 8086 when he cleaned out his garage although it was little more than a curiosity by the time I got it (early 2000s). Color VGA monitor, and 640K of RAM, along with a 20 MB hard disk. I still have all these machines I mentioned but I obviously don't use them any more.

Newtun

Storage is nice, especially if it doesn't rotate
Hey, I resent that remark!

Also, I totally do. I have a Pentium II 300 around here somewhere. I run Windows 2000 on it.
Hey Moderators, can you extract the subsequent "my first/early computers" posts into a new thread? Yeah, that would be great.

Oh, and Atari 800 with 48K RAM! And 1010 auxiliary Dual-Density disk drive and 1050 Program Recorder, all still in the attic.

BTW, does anyone else remember the NEC v20 chips? 25+ years ago, I was a hero in my little office for the 30% speedup they provided for our PCs.

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
V20s were great! Went like the proverbial off a shovel. Mr Grumpy remembers them well. (I'm a bit hazy about them myself, I was only seven at the time.) Interesting that the Wikipedia page has been nobbled such that it completely fails to mention all the trouble Intel's bastard lawyers went to trying to take the V20 off the market. Pretty typical of Wikipedia, it constantly presents a sanitised American view of the world and blandly pretends to be "balanced". Mr Grumpy wrote about these little hot-rods many years ago and if you are using a real computer you can read it here. It may or may not work on a telephone 'coz Mr Grumpy isn't his real name; he's actually Mr Lazy and hasn't bothered recoding any of his sites for mobile yet. It's always going to be "soon", which is code for "sometime, probably never".

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
If I have a pro version, will I end up with a pro version of Windows 10? The reservation software seems to imply that free is the estimated retail price of Windows home 10 full license.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
If I have a pro version, will I end up with a pro version of Windows 10? The reservation software seems to imply that free is the estimated retail price of Windows home 10 full license.

The Windows 10 FAQ (What version of Windows 10 will I get when I upgrade?) shows the versions... https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/windows/windows-10-faq

In short:
Win7 Pro / Ultimate get Win10 Pro, all others get Win 10 Home
Win8.1 Pro get Win10 Pro, Win8.1 get Win 10 Home.

Enterprise versions are NOT eligible for Win10 upgrades, as these should be covered under your enterprise licensing agreements.

Edit: Note: Win8.0 installs that can't be updated to WIn8.1update 1 are NOT eligible either... The free upgrade is ONLY for current Win8.1u1 installations.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
I seem to remember a slot on some motherboards for more video memory. Anybody else?

Dedicated video memory on motherboards was very rare - not unheard-of but rare. There was no real point in having graphics on the mainboard unless it saved you money, and the easiest way to save money was to use a UMA graphics system instead of a standalone one (be that on-card or on-board) because a UMA system saved you having to buy RAM for it, it just leeched off the system RAM instead.

The slot you are probably thinking of is the very common slot for pipeline burst cache which was very popular around about the same time as the 486DX/4 and second generation Pentium (100, 133, 166). There were a few other slots too on some boards, but my memory isn't up to remembering what for at this time of the morning.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
I upgraded my 8088 with a NEC V20. COASt memory modules. Cache-On-A-Stick.

Aren't there already a few "my first computer" threads here already? All this nostalgia is making me feel even older than my late 40s body already feels now.

ddrueding

Fixture
I remember the burst-cache, but my favorite machine of all time was a dual celeron-300 with magic fingers O/C'd to nearly 450. Those were the chips that came on their own cards and required significant modification to get up to those speeds. That was the same machine I ever installed 4-channel audio on via dedicated board and creative speakers. That was also the first machine I bought new parts for with my own earned money; I'd just turned 17.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Dedicated video memory on motherboards was very rare - not unheard-of but rare. .
I only typically saw those on name brand systems in the 286 and early 386 era, eg Amstrad PC3x86 systems had socketed VRAM for the Paradise VGA controllers... as well as some same generation Nokia and Compaq's as well... (Yes, Nokia had some 286 PCs).

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I've installed Windows Insider Preview, build 10162 earlier today on a secondary disk. I did unplug my main OS HDD and my data drive prior to doing the installation. Once finished, I stopped the system, replugged the data drive and restarted the system. I've verified that the BIOS sees the data drive. However, the drive doesn't show up in Windows 10. Not in the disk manager, not even in the device manager.

Both the OS drive (on which Windows 10 is installed) and the data drive are plugged to the same SATA controller on the motherboard. The system is a 4 years-old pretty standard Intel-based system.

I did try to reattach the SATA and power SATA cables on the data drive, but no success. The fact that the drive appears in the BIOS tells me it's an OS fuck-up. I know that this is a preview version, but with the final version shipping in less than 4 weeks, I expected better.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Also, I access my work's network via a VPN connection (Watchguard SSL client). It connects fine, but unlike every previous versions of Windows, the VPN connection logo doesn't show on the right side of the task bar. So I have no way to disconnect, except by killing the process in the task manager. It doesn't appear in the network connections either.

It might partially be because of the VPN software, but still, it leaves an impression of unpolished OS.

Mercutio

The VPN connections, like firewall profile settings, seem to migrate in every new version of Windows. I think they're visible if you double click the regular network connection icon in the taskbar but you're right that it's lame to not have the icon you're used to seeing.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Once I've installed Intel's inf driver v.9.3, dating back 2013, the data drive appeared.

Meanwhile, the Watchguard VPN connection doesn't show in the VPN connection manager, despite being active and working. Killing the process in task manager remains the only way to close it, except of course a reboot.

Mercutio

My Hamachi VPN software doesn't work in Windows 10 either. In fact, Hamachi is the only application I use regularly that isn't yet supported on 10.
I usually just RDP in to a client that does have it when I need to do something.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I'm installing the RTM (build 10240) on my main computer at the moment. I hope it won't screw up the few settings and program configurations (like the FAH client) I did during the time I've used the build 10162.

I'll keep you informed.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I've spent 15 minutes reading the EULA once the installation was completed. Microsoft now makes it mandatory to accept Windows updates. I can see problems with this and many softwares we use at work which are only certified to work with certain very specific updates (mainly automation programs, but I'm sure there are plenty others). It is also prohibited to use Windows Pro as a server. What this means for shared folders in an enterprise networks isn't entirely clear to me. If one user put stuff in one folder he shares with his co-workers, does Microsoft consider this a server use? If so, why is the functionality still there? Like I wrote : unclear.

Once I've agreed to the EULA, the installation completed without a itch. The only semi-issue I've had is that the FAH client no longer opens in a web browser, but I've always used the Advanced interface anyway, so I don't really care. The installation completed less than 15 minutes ago though, so I haven't had time to spot potential problems yet.

Last edited:

LunarMist

I've spent 15 minutes reading the EULA once the installation was completed. Microsoft now makes it mandatory to accept Windows updates. I can see problems with this and many softwares we use at work which are only certified to work with certain very specific updates (mainly automation programs, but I'm sure there are plenty others). It is also prohibited to use Windows Pro as a server. What this means for shared folders in an enterprise networks isn't entirely clear to me. If one users put stuff in one folder he shares with his co-workers, does Microsoft considers this a server use? If so, why is the functionality still there? Like I wrote : unclear.

Once I've agreed to the EULA, the installation completed without a itch. The only semi-issue I've had is that the FAH client no longer opens in a web browser, but I've always used the Advanced interface anyway, so I don't really care. The installation completed less than 15 minutes ago though, so I haven't had time to spot potential problems yet.

Are you saying that the Windows has no option to turn off updates? :(

ddrueding

Fixture
From their position I completely understand the decision. You only want to support one version. Also, how much of their reputation for getting viruses and malware is from people who haven't installed updates?

LunarMist

From their position I completely understand the decision. You only want to support one version. Also, how much of their reputation for getting viruses and malware is from people who haven't installed updates?

Sure, like the Andorid. Guess I need to buy some copies of 8.1 before they are gone. I can't have a OS that needs to be re-updated every time I restore the C: partition. The bandwidth just wouldn't be available much of the time. More importantly MS could suddenly decide that all my older apps are not in their best interest to me use.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Are you saying that the Windows has no option to turn off updates? :(
According to the EULA, yes.

However, there is an option to defer updates. This is what µsoft has to say about it :
[h=2]Defer upgrades in Windows 10[/h]
  • Some Windows 10 editions let you defer upgrades to your PC. When you defer upgrades, new Windows features won’t be downloaded or installed for several months. Deferring upgrades doesn’t affect security updates. Note that deferring upgrades will prevent you from getting the latest Windows features as soon as they’re available.

And that's it.

I don't know if the Windows Server version will have GPO options to disable updates.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
I'm sure you all know by now, or can figure it out, but if block these updates:

Win7
-------------
KB3035583
KB2952664
KB3021917

Win8
-------------
KB3035583
KB2976978

the Win'10 upgrade notification won't be in the lower right corner of your screen. I don't want to accidentally install something until at least w10+SP1 (10.x) has been out for a bit. And only upgrade if I have to.

Also if you don't install the updates I notices one of them moves from optional to critical status. I just <right-click> "Hide Update" for now.

Mercutio

Here's the deal with updates: Updates for non-Enterprise customers are not optional. If you have Windows 10 Enterprise Edition, you (or someone with admin rights on Active Directory) can choose when to update. Consumers and unmanaged Windows Pro systems are effectively managed by Microsoft. You can still schedule the updates for a convenient time like you've always been able to. However - and I've tested this with the current build - you can also just open up services.msc and disable the Windows Update service. You can also write a batch file or powershell script to turn them off and on if you really care.

This is more than a little lame for me as well, since I'm going to have Windows 10 machines that I can't possibly put on a Domain, are on a very slow connection and get re-set regularly, but I'm sure I'll figure something out as a solution.

Windows 10 also has two update cadences you can select. You can be on the slow track and pick up updates and features as you always have, or you can be on the fast track, which basically means you get stuff as quickly as the developers get done with it.

With regard to the EULA about using desktop Windows as a server: That's been in Windows since NT4/Windows 98. WAY back in the day you could get away with using NT Workstation as a file or web server since those machines didn't count the number of active service connections. For the last 15 years, Microsoft has had language and enforced in software a limit to the number of server connections that a desktop version of Windows will allow. That limit is usually 10 for Professional versions and 5 for home versions. It doesn't mean you can't service file/web/database requests at all, it just means that if you're doing anything serious you're better off getting Windows Server or a *nix machine for it.

Mercutio

Also, it's pretty hard but not impossible to get a legal, single desktop Windows Enterprise Edition product key. Anybody who has Technet/MSDN probably has some for older Windows editions. They're also frequently sold in campus bookstores. Since older editions of Windows Enterprise aren't eligible for free upgrades to 10, it doesn't really help to go looking for a copy.