Windows 10

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Just horrible. :(

Users of Home/Pro, obviously get no choice, since they get all updates irrespective, however for the Sysadmins that maintain WSUS (or similar) are going to have fun trying to work out what each update is... (eg, IE updates which may break corporate applications, .NET Framework updates that may break corporate applications, new applications (like Skype) which shouldn't be installed due to corporate policy, etc).

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Users of Home/Pro, obviously get no choice, since they get all updates irrespective, however for the Sysadmins that maintain WSUS (or similar) are going to have fun trying to work out what each update is... (eg, IE updates which may break corporate applications, .NET Framework updates that may break corporate applications, new applications (like Skype) which shouldn't be installed due to corporate policy, etc).

I'm hoping our company doesn't make any such change soon. I think we have to use IE 10 until April or something.
About 2.5 Jahren

Handruin

Administrator
Something that might be worth mentioning if it hasn't already. For those who may have upgraded to Win10 vs clean install, you may want to run the Disk Cleanup utility. MS does a backup of your previous install and in my case of upgrading from 8.1 to 10, I'm able to free up 23GB of stuff. It's worth noting that if you're unsure about reverting you will NOT want to do this cleanup.

Along with the old windows version I also have a bunch of other debug and logs that bring me up to about 28GB of space to reclaim.

Stereodude

Not really a
The more I read about Windows 10 the more I think I won't be taking MS up on their "free"* offer. Perhaps if some resourceful people create some utilities to put control of the OS back in my hands, otherwise no. I have a real problem with them pushing non-critical applications from their portfolio of products to my machine through Windows updates that I can't control. On top of all the phoning home and spying, no thanks.

*with many strings attached

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I could hear a hard disk drive working hard inside my Windows 10 system. There wasn't supposed to be any task going on so I pop up the task manager to see what was happening. Task Manager showed no activity whatesoever on either drives in the system, yet I could clearly listen to one of the drives thrashing. Things that makes you go hmmm...

Windows 10 is not entering the office for sure.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
How long is Windows 8.1 available for purchase? Should I buy some now just to be safe?

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
I could hear a hard disk drive working hard inside my Windows 10 system. There wasn't supposed to be any task going on so I pop up the task manager to see what was happening. Task Manager showed no activity whatesoever on either drives in the system, yet I could clearly listen to one of the drives thrashing. Things that makes you go hmmm...

Windows 10 is not entering the office for sure.

I found that disabling indexing for my HDD solved the thrashing. I'm sure it would have stopped after indexing was complete but I rarely use that feature.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
The more I read about Windows 10 the more I think I won't be taking MS up on their "free"* offer. Perhaps if some resourceful people create some utilities to put control of the OS back in my hands, otherwise no. I have a real problem with them pushing non-critical applications from their portfolio of products to my machine through Windows updates that I can't control. On top of all the phoning home and spying, no thanks.

*with many strings attached

This.

Same here. I have yet to see a compelling reason to go with Windows 10 but lots of reasons not to.

Again This.

I can't claim originality for this one... If you're not paying for it you're not the customer, but the product.

Yep.

How long is Windows 8.1 available for purchase? Should I buy some now just to be safe?

Doesn't Win7 support end in 2020? So Win8x should be at least till then. I'm just hoping MS will respond to the criticism. Just wait till some auto-magically pushed update breaks Facebook and all hell will break loose.

Any idea when Win11 drops? 2017?

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
I just did an long email to my parents who recently migrated to Win10 on how to maximise their limited Internet connection**... And found the following links helpful.

Privacy settings explained: http://www.howtogeek.com/221864/dig...dows-10s-privacy-settings/?PageSpeed=noscript
Turn off peer-to-peer update mechanism: http://www.redmondpie.com/how-to-turn-off-windows-10-update-delivery-optimization-feature/
Set WiFi as metered connection: http://www.pcworld.com/article/2953...download-forced-updates-at-your-own-pace.html
Turn off Cortana: http://www.pcworld.com/article/2949...indows-10s-info-hungry-digital-assistant.html

** My parents connect to the Internet via a 4G mobile hotspot, paying AU$55 for 8GB of data. (up and down included). Their only other internet access option is via 56K dialup... (For those watching from Australia, they are not eligible for NBN Satellite, NBN Fixed Wireless is coming to a town nearby and will be RFS (ready for service) end of 2016, and their phone exchange never had any DLSAMs installed for ADSL).

Hope some of the above links will help out those here who have to support family members systems...

Actually reading through the privacy settings, loved this one:
"Send Microsoft info about how I write to help us improve typing and writing in the future".
Does this send all keystrokes to MS? Hmmm....

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
It appears that Windows Update is the same in Enterprise edition as it is in other editions. You get updates whether you want them or not.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Do you have a reference?

What I've read, Enterprise gets a choice, or is that choice only available if you have a WSUS server?

Only if you have WSUS.
I turned off updates on 10 Pro with a GPO. I haven't observed them to update yet, but I'm not sure what the trigger condition for updates is so I don't know if that worked or not at this point. If that doesn't work, I'll configure all my lab machines to think they're on a metered connection.

Oh hey and by the way, Microsoft is rolling out a lot of the same internet telemetry BS in Windows 7 and 8 via optional updates. Optional is the key word since AFAIK those aren't ever installed automatically, but if you're being inattentive or just reflexively accept all updates, you get the same fodder for Microsoft's ad networks that 10 users get automatically.

Turning off Windows Defender and establishing DNS/proxy-level blocks might be the only reasonable option and of course that's a non-starter for non-geeks.

ddrueding

Fixture
It would be interesting if someone wrote a sudo-WSUS server service you could install on your computer with a bit of a proxy. While you're at it redirect the rest of their shady crap.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Do you have a reference?

What I've read, Enterprise gets a choice, or is that choice only available if you have a WSUS server?

I installed Win 10 Enterprise and looked at the Windows update settings. Same as Win 10 Pro.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
We have fewer than 1% of the company on Windows 8x and all of those are running a shell alternative to cut training time and remain productive. I've been trying 8.1 for the last couple of weeks and I'm still having trouble with the interface. Mind you I don't have a lot of time to learn the new ways to do stuff even if what I have figured out is less efficient. I'm considering going straight to 10 to retrain myself only once.

My main question concerns the devices we already have in service. I'm considering converting them all to 10 as well but need to know if I will still need a shell alternative. Is the 10 interface more like 7 or more like 8?

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
You will need a shell alternative. The Win 10 desktop/interface is a bastardized version of Win 8/8.1. And, there are fewer desktop settings available for the user.
Quote from my earlier post:

"I would like to know how to change the size of the desktop Icon and change the spacing between them. I would also like to change the font and be able to regulate its size.
I also would like to get a little more contrast on screens like File Manager ( which sucks Donkey balls ) It looks like the print is floating in an off white or grey window. No lines dividing anything.
I tried some of the high contrast settings but they are ugly and garish. Like the old Hotdog desktop.
In windows 7 you could add ( /n, /r, c:\ ) to the path and when you opened Windows Explorer it went right to the 'C' drive and expanded it. You can't do anything to the path because there is no path that I can find.
When you open File Manager, the left pane ( which is a pain ) is polluted with a lot of garbage. And you cannot find a way to change it.
When I buy an operating system I want to be able to customize to my needs and wants. I don't want something MS wants or thinks I need."

( if you have to dig in the registry to customize the operating system, then that proves just how lame Microsoft and Windows 10 really are )

This is just the tip of the ice burg. There is also the updates being install whether you want/need them or not.

Basically you get what MS wants.

ddrueding

Fixture
Your users almost certainly won't need a shell alternative. The normal stuff that normal users do is similar enough that they'll figure it out without retraining.

If you are as picky as some here (probably the biggest UI snob here being Tannin?), you may want one to tweak stuff, but it is far from mandatory.

I've had users run the upgrade and not notice that it worked.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Oh hey and by the way, Microsoft is rolling out a lot of the same internet telemetry BS in Windows 7 and 8 via optional updates. Optional is the key word since AFAIK those aren't ever installed automatically, but if you're being inattentive or just reflexively accept all updates, you get the same fodder for Microsoft's ad networks that 10 users get automatically.
Shit.

I'm on W7 Ultimate. Went back till May 17 on the updates already installed and found these:

KB2952664 on July 28

KB3035583 on July 16

These are described as compatibility updates and it's not really clear at all what they do on the KB description on MS' website. How the hell is one supposed to know what's good and bad?

Mercutio

You can either trust Microsoft or read the patch notes yourself or migrate off Windows.

Linux really is completely credible for user-land needs as long as you aren't a gamer and don't need Windows for your livelihood.

sedrosken

Florida Man
Website
sedrosken.xyz
In my experience things that require 3D acceleration, unless they're very simple and/or from the late 90's, simply run terribly under virtualization. I don't know what was going on, I may just not have had virtualization extensions active on my CPU of the time.

ddrueding

Fixture
Is that so? I expected that PMView and EditPlus would be OK, but I'm amazed to finds that Photoshop is. I just assumed that Adobe would do stupid stuff to make it difficult.

I have no doubt they do, but I'm sure Photoshop is a top priority for the WINE folks. (I mean, behind World of Warcraft, obvs.)

Looks like only up to CS3 though. No mention of Creative Cloud and the 2015 release.

Mercutio

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Considering all the issues with Win-10, I'm just wondering if I should buy a copy of Win 8.1 (assuming they are still available) since 8.1 will be supported a lot longer than the Win-7 I am running now. And then at some point jump off into Linux...

Thoughts?

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Considering all the issues with Win-10, I'm just wondering if I should buy a copy of Win 8.1 (assuming they are still available) since 8.1 will be supported a lot longer than the Win-7 I am running now. And then at some point jump off into Linux...

Thoughts?

Just move to Linux now.

sedrosken

Florida Man
Website
sedrosken.xyz
Yup. That's the best thing to do, rip the band-aid off now. Especially since I have heard tell that MS is backporting these spying 'features' to Windows 7 and 8.x with a recent update.