Windows 10

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
I upgraded my W7 to W10 just now. Amazingly, it retained my dual boot config, replacing the "Windows 7" option with "Windows 10". I was puzzled, since my W7 Ultimate should be eligible for W10 Pro, but the boot menu said "Windows 10". However, Control Panel --> System shows W10 Pro. All programs appear to continue to be installed as well.

How do I revert back to Windows 7? Couldn't find an option. Or is it better just to restore the image I made before upgrading?

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
What'll be interesting in a few years time when people need to start working out which "Windows 10" they have, especially when it comes to things like drivers, OS extensions (DirectX, etc) as the core of the OS is updated.

Or is this an admission by MS that the kernel itself is done and we'll never see an NT API update? (eg WDDM2.0 is it)

Or will all future versions be Windows 10.1, 10.2, etc? just like OS X and Solaris?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
How do I revert back to Windows 7? Couldn't find an option. Or is it better just to restore the image I made before upgrading?

It's in Settings -> Update and Security. At the bottom of that window will be an option to to Go back to Windows 7/8.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
I have a few Technet keys for W7. Is it worth creating a couple of W10 VMs using those keys? I don't foresee a need, but wouldn't want to lose the opportunity. I'm just wondering if the W10 VM will be invalidated (keywise) when VMWare player gets updated. Any idea?

Stereodude

Not really a
So it seems Windows 10 can and will still reboot your computer even if you have it set to not automatically reboot (Notify to schedule restart).

From the Logs:
The process C:\Windows\system32\svchost.exe (xxxxx) has initiated the restart of computer xxxxx on behalf of user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM for the following reason: Operating System: Service pack (Planned)
Reason Code: 0x80020010
Shutdown Type: restart

Mercutio

I have a few Technet keys for W7. Is it worth creating a couple of W10 VMs using those keys? I don't foresee a need, but wouldn't want to lose the opportunity. I'm just wondering if the W10 VM will be invalidated (keywise) when VMWare player gets updated. Any idea?

I made 36 VMs and activated them just so I have them. Why not? I can use them for virtual desktops or whatever else. I might do 36 more today (I have LOT of extra technet keys). I don't have any hope that they'll survive being reactivated on different hardware, but I could see keeping a few around just to test things and experiment on.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
I just got done creating two W10 VMs, both W10 Home, one 32-bit and one 64-bit, just for grins. Two is plenty for me. 72 would drive me nuts!

I still have a couple of W7 keys left, which I'll hang on to for my next build when this PC dies. I'll probably just buy the W10 upgrade at that time.

Handruin

Administrator
I think the only machine I have left to upgrade would be my laptop, but I've been lazy. I'll see if I can get it done before the deadline tomorrow.

CougTek

Serial computer killer
I read that Cortana can no longer be disabled in the latest version of Windows 10. You simply can't avoid it, especially since the updates are mandatory now.

Those bastards simply decided to force it down our throats. No choice, no ask, just bam! They say you can still choose what you send to Microsoft's servers, but after so many lies, I no longer believe it. They are rotten to the core.

Mercutio

They're removing end user control for some group policies. They may yet be exposed to domain members and managed systems.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
They're removing end user control for some group policies. They may yet be exposed to domain members and managed systems.

I don't know what that means, but it sounds bad. What does the Cortana do?

Mercutio

Cortana is the internet-assisted search service in Windows 10. It annoys me by frequently not doing things I'd want it to do, so I always just turn it off.

LunarMist

Cortana is the internet-assisted search service in Windows 10. It annoys me by frequently not doing things I'd want it to do, so I always just turn it off.

What happens when the internet is disconnected? Can you still find file names and contents when the Cortana function is mandatory by MS?
I'm really leaning towards the next computer being disconnected from the internet after all the programs are installed. Then I'd install the data drives.

Mercutio

Yes. Cortana just "enhances" your Searches with results from the internet. It can also interact with your calendar and Email and some data on mobile devices if you have Cortana installed on them. Nothing it does is terribly useful or interesting and its mind-reading is so frequently wrong that it's basically Clippy 2.0.
One thing that is mildly amusing is that Cortana can find Google Drive/Dropbox/OneDrive data if you have Windows indexing those folders. It's the only one of the Online Assistants (Siri, Google Now and Alexa are the others) that seems to have any understanding of files as a concept.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
I go through the advanced setup and deselect the switches for Cortana and sending data the MS. Are we saying they are turning those back on through updates?

CougTek

Serial computer killer
I go through the advanced setup and deselect the switches for Cortana and sending data the MS. Are we saying they are turning those back on through updates?
Source

I don't even think there'll be a switch to disable Cortana and I don't believe MS when they say they stop collecting data when you switch off the data collection. They've lost all their credibility.

Handruin

Administrator
Source

I don't even think there'll be a switch to disable Cortana and I don't believe MS when they say they stop collecting data when you switch off the data collection. They've lost all their credibility.

We may be able to find a way to contain Cortana. What if we flip some bits with a hex editor and show that bitch who's boss. That or constrain it through restricting network communication?

CougTek

Serial computer killer
So were're supposed to push reg files thru GPO to hundred of computers in domains we manage? It might very well be what I end up doing when/if I have no other choice but to let Windows 10 in my corporate network, but somehow, I don't feel like I should play cats & mouses with a company we give hundred of thousands $$ in licensing fees.

LunarMist

How can this fly in other countries, or have other countries already abandoned the MS for business purposes?

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
So were're supposed to push reg files thru GPO to hundred of computers in domains we manage?
Please be aware that Cortana and most of the telemetry can still be turned off in the Enterprise and Education editions of Windows 10. This only affects the Home/Professional editions.

My guess, some of these moves may be attempt to get the SMB sector (which largely used Pro edn's) to migrate to full volume licensing plans with annual renewals so they can get access to the Enterprise edn and related tools... And also get them on Office as well as part of the package.

As for home users/individuals, I guess it's "All your base are belong to us".

CougTek

Serial computer killer
Please be aware that Cortana and most of the telemetry can still be turned off in the Enterprise and Education editions of Windows 10. This only affects the Home/Professional editions.
Of course I know that, but it means giving MS even more money per user. When you're screwed over, the answer shouldn't be to spend even more on the faulty product.

LunarMist

Of course I know that, but it means giving MS even more money per user. When you're screwed over, the answer shouldn't be to spend even more on the faulty product.

Somehow I doubt that ordinary users can easily buy and maintain the Enterprise. How difficult is it?

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I just don't get all the forced updates and mandatory tracking. It's like msft isn't worried about bad press at all. Damn shame as I rather like 10 in general.

ddrueding

Fixture
A potential explanation for their behavior could look like this:

1. Better support and development is required to avoid all the bad press around security holes.
2. You can do better support on a product if you have fewer products; ideally one.
3. Getting people to move to your new product is easier if that product is cheap; ideally free.
4. Making a product free means making your customer the product.
5. Once you are managing customers as products, quality control is actually customer control.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I'm curious to see if the offers suddenly go away or they extend the offer.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
The script I was using (originally posted by mubs) is no longer being maintained. Has anybody used, or can suggest, any other script to keep w10 and spyware craps off my w7 O/S? Or even just a complete list of all the w10 KB updates to avoid.

I have no plan, or reason to, update to w10 anytime soon. Perhaps in 2020 I'll think about upgrading. ;)

LunarMist

The script I was using (originally posted by mubs) is no longer being maintained. Has anybody used, or can suggest, any other script to keep w10 and spyware craps off my w7 O/S? Or even just a complete list of all the w10 KB updates to avoid.

I have no plan, or reason to, update to w10 anytime soon. Perhaps in 2020 I'll think about upgrading. ;)

I noticed that as well. At this point I'm more annoying than the MS, as hope to