Windows Home Server / Home Server OS

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I don't think I could recommend a single product for every environment. FreeNAS certainly is easy to get up and running though.

Mercutio

Apparently, something that WHS and WHS2011 can't do is back up Windows 8 with GPT disks. Those backups just fail. There's supposed to be a patch but didn't seem to help for my clients. That's pretty aggravating given that's more or less the only reason I've deployed WHS.

Mercutio

I retired all my Acer H340s a couple months ago, then decided to get them back out to play with because I have tons of 1.5 and 2TB drives sitting around.
Funny thing: if they're loaded with WHS 2011 or any newer version of Windows Server, they can use larger than 2TB drives just fine. I always figured they had a lame SATA controller. Nope. It was just the fact that original Windows Home Server was based on XP and didn't ever get any sort of update.

This new might be particularly interesting to some of you guys because those crappy little WHS boxes sell on Ebay for under $100. They're very quiet and power-efficient and, as devices that have four hot-swap bays and eSATA support, probably make pretty decent backup targets.