Wireless

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Are wireless keyboard and mice combinations any good? I was looking at a simple MS set at a local store today (not the crazy curvy kind). Have you any experience with them? I'm a bit concerned about the security. Do people remotely hack the wireless keyboards? Battery life is listed as 6 months. Is that realistic? Are there any delays due to the wireless system? Presumably drivers are needed in Windows (OS compatibility is listed on the box), but what happens with bootable utilities like Acronis, etc.? Thanks.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
I have a MS wireless natural kb. Curvy. It works fine with BIOS level operations and above.
The range is like two feet. Six feet would be more handy. I'm going to look into bluetooth next time.

LunarMist

At least nobody will hack it with that limited range. :) The case will be on the desktop, so the short range should work.

ddrueding

Fixture
I don't like them. The batteries run out quite often on the mice, though the keyboards are fine on that front. The main issue I have is lag. If you haven't typed anything in a minute or so, it goes to sleep, and the next key you press takes a LONG time to take effect. Bluetooth devices in particular have a tendency to disconnect entirely, then you have to connect a different keyboard and mouse to repair the connection. At least on the regular wireless stuff the OS isn't involved. I love my Logitech G15 backlit keyboards and Razer Copperhead mice, they always work, and they work better than anything else I've tried. The accuracy of the Razer is exceptionally useful in Photoshop.

I do have one wireless set, Bluetooth, but it is for the home theater, and has a wired keyboard and mouse at the machine itself. I have to re-pair the devices about once a month. Logitech diNovo Edge and Logitech MX-something laser mouse.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
I use wireless mice exclusively and have for several years. Always Logitech. But I've never seen the need for a wireless keyboard in my environment. A wireless keyboard - with decent range - on an HTPC I could see but I don't have that in my environment.

The battery life estimates are attainable, but like laptop batteries in the real world expect 2/3 to 3/4 of the life. Avoid non-replaceable batteries if you can.

I also like the backlit keyboards now and am using the wired Logitech Illuminated Keyboard.

LunarMist

The second one has no numbers. I guess nobody does data entry at home?

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
I have had 4 sets of wireless keyboards and mice and I can say that after the last one being MS I doubt I will buy another logitech. I was really impressed with the build quality, precision, and battery life.

I've never had a battery problem with either brand, but expect to change batteries once every few months (depending on usage). MS seems to be much better about this.

I've never experienced the disconnect/lag that DD mentions, but I've never used a bluetooth set. I have experienced some problems with gaming: logitech keyboards don't seem to like more than 4 keys pressed at a time, short battery life on mouse, lack of precision, potential for lag. So I would suggest a wired set for anyone who is a gamer.

Regarding reception, I usually get 10-20ft before reception is spotty. However, receiver placement has a lot to do with this. If the receiver is located on top of your tower, there's likely to be a lot of interference and range is likely reduced drastically. Locate your receiver as far from your PC, speakers, CRT or other RFI emitting device as possible.

Regarding security, wired keyboards may actually be less secure because there is no encoding/encryption and they often emit quite a bit of RFI. At least the emissions from a wireless keyboard are often accounted for security wise.

Overall, I love wireless devices for HTPC's, and I use them at home in the office for mixed photo/office/gaming. At work I use a wired set, but my office mates both use wireless.

LunarMist

I picked up the cheapie MS set. For the price of a basic wireless mouse, it's well worthwhile. I was surprised to find a large puck-shaped receiver with cord rather than the tiny USB device usually packaged with the mice alone. It seems to be fine up to about 10 feet, and will help me setup the new system using my current monitor (KVM cables are not feasible).

LOST6200

Storage is cool
Does anoyne care eno9hgh about you to follow and hack itn? What sis so impotante?

LunarMist

I don't like them. The batteries run out quite often on the mice, though the keyboards are fine on that front. The main issue I have is lag. If you haven't typed anything in a minute or so, it goes to sleep, and the next key you press takes a LONG time to take effect. Bluetooth devices in particular have a tendency to disconnect entirely, then you have to connect a different keyboard and mouse to repair the connection. At least on the regular wireless stuff the OS isn't involved. I love my Logitech G15 backlit keyboards and Razer Copperhead mice, they always work, and they work better than anything else I've tried. The accuracy of the Razer is exceptionally useful in Photoshop.

I do have one wireless set, Bluetooth, but it is for the home theater, and has a wired keyboard and mouse at the machine itself. I have to re-pair the devices about once a month. Logitech diNovo Edge and Logitech MX-something laser mouse.

So far, so good. The mouse and keyboard reconnect automatically without any need to press the buttons. There are a few annoyances. The mouse uses 2 AA batteries and is heavy, yet it only needs one. I suspect that the mouse is a variant of the standalone version that has a space for the USB transmitter. There are no popwer switches on either device, so it is necessary to remove the batteries for long periods of non use or for shipping. I'm not noticing any significant startup delay or lack of responsiveness. The end user should be happy with it.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Some other thread here a while back suggested this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124143&Tpk=USBBT100
really long range, can use it halfway across the house.

and this for the HTPC
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16879212011

I still use wired for the main stuff though. Never had a disconnect problem with it without reason.

I have the above as well, thanks to the folks here, for HTPC. Works fine, but, I don't use it a lot.

I've always bought wireless MSFT stuff at Costco, felt violated by the price, and, returned about 3 of them for full refunds. They SUCKED. Lags, limited range, just garbage overall.

LunarMist

Does anoyne care eno9hgh about you to follow and hack itn? What sis so impotante?

It is not for me. The end user will be located in a SFH. Now that I know the range is short, security is no longer a concern unless a hacker is parked in the driveway, which is quite unlikely. ;)

LunarMist

I've always bought wireless MSFT stuff at Costco, felt violated by the price, and, returned about 3 of them for full refunds. They SUCKED. Lags, limited range, just garbage overall.

This set was $30 on sale, not that I wouldn't have taken it at full price. It will save enough time to pay for itself as I install apps etc. sitting at the desk using the same monitor. If the end user does not like it there are plenty of USB ports for a wired keyboard and mouse.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
This set was $30 on sale, not that I wouldn't have taken it at full price. It will save enough time to pay for itself as I install apps etc. sitting at the desk using the same monitor. If the end user does not like it there are plenty of USB ports for a wired keyboard and mouse.

I paid twice that for the MSFT ones from Costco, and, had nothing but problems with them. Lag, sleeping, etc.

At least I could return them..

time

Storage? I am Storage!
I also like the backlit keyboards now and am using the wired Logitech Illuminated Keyboard.

Me too. Although I like it a lot, I don't feel it's robust enough for general use, and it's definitely not for touch typists with real speed.

It's great to be able to kill the room light and rest the eyes at night (sorry, JTR).

LunarMist

It's great to be able to kill the room light and rest the eyes at night (sorry, JTR).

That depends on what you are doing. My work notebook has an illuminated keyboard which is useful in dim areas such as some hotel rooms or conference rooms when lights are dimmed for projection.

However, at home if the display is calibrated to 120 nits per usual, the background lighting should be reasonably bright for consistency in soft proofing.

miksmi

What is this storage?
full size mouse recommendation - wired or Bluetooth

This topic hasn't been addressed in a while, so here it goes...

I'm looking for a full size mouse, either wired or Bluetooth, that will be for a MacBook Pro (two USB ports). I have a wired Logitech G5 Laser Mouse that I use for general use (no gaming): spreadsheets, Aperture on a Mac Pro (2006). It fits my average sized hands well.

Logitech G5 features I prefer:

o scroll wheel tilts side-to-side for horizontal scrolling, great for spreadsheets.
o full size

Preferred (not required) features:

o wireless; prefer Bluetooth to proprietary wireless like Logitech Advanced 2.4 GHz wireless that requires a dongle (Logitech Unifying receiver).
http://www.logitech.com/en-us/349/6071?pcid=6072
o heavy (tune balance by adding weights)
o hyper-fast scrolling (free wheeling mode allows quick scrolling)

Unimportant features:

o Mac OS X driver: From experience, I know Logitech Control Center (LCC) works poorly on the Mac. I use USB Overdrive instead.
http://www.usboverdrive.com/

Mice I'm considering:

o Logitech G500: wired; not tested in person
http://www.logitech.com/en-us/mice-pointers/mice/devices/5750
o Logitech VX470: Bluetooth; not tested in person
http://www.logitech.com/en-us/mice-pointers/mice/devices/3287
o Logitech MX 1100: wireless (proprietary) receiver; not tested in person
http://www.logitech.com/en-us/mice-pointers/mice/devices/4676
o Logitech Performance MX: wireless; can't reach side buttons with thumb; side buttons too high.
http://www.logitech.com/en-us/mice-pointers/mice/devices/5845

I read about lag/delay time with Bluetooth and other wireless mice. I'm not a gamer but dislike the idea of a delay after the mouse sleeps due to inactivity.

If you have experience with the above or like something I haven't listed, please post. What mouse do you like? Any experience with wireless mice and/or lag?

Thanks for your help, guys.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
My favorite mice are Logitech's MX series. I had a MX700 several years ago and a MX1000 not too long ago. They are the best mice I've tried so far. Nothing I've tried from Microsoft is comparable. I think the MX1100 also has a scroll wheel on the side, but I don't use that. I greatly appreciate the "back/forward" side buttons for Net browsing and the shape of those mice is perfect for my hand.

I've never been annoyed with the tiny lag and the reason they both ended in (yep, not on) the wall had nothing to do with their behavior.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
My general read on this stuff is I'm with David, and like the wired RAZER mouse, though the cord isn't that hot.
Gigabyte, for 50 bucks, has a wired mouse with a serious, thick cord on it that I like a LOT.

Newegg had a mouse, keyboard wireless combo, refurbished, for 20 bucks from newegg.com.

The mouse lasted until the first battery change, then went south, with no warranty, and the keyboard is still going, and working fine.

Overall, OEM, wired MSFT keyboards I buy, most of the time;-) from Buck, are worth the money, and, I went over the mice.

By the way, the keys on that 70 dollar wireless bluetooth keyboard I have really suck, going bad more quickly then the oem MSFT keyboards, by far. Something pretty obscene about spending 70 bucks for a keyboard, then having the keys go south, when you hardly use it.

Kind of reminds me of the general quality of components going into laptop computers right now. Only problem is, you aren't getting low price, low quality.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
My general read on this stuff is I'm with David, and like the wired RAZER mouse, though the cord isn't that hot.
Gigabyte, for 50 bucks, has a wired mouse with a serious, thick cord on it that I like a LOT.

Newegg had a mouse, keyboard wireless combo, refurbished, for 20 bucks from newegg.com.

The mouse lasted until the first battery change, then went south, with no warranty, and the keyboard is still going, and working fine.

Overall, OEM, wired MSFT keyboards I buy, most of the time;-) from Buck, are worth the money, and, I went over the mice.

By the way, the keys on that 70 dollar wireless bluetooth keyboard I have really suck, going bad more quickly then the oem MSFT keyboards, by far. Something pretty obscene about spending 70 bucks for a keyboard, then having the keys go south, when you hardly use it.

Kind of reminds me of the general quality of components going into laptop computers right now. Only problem is, you aren't getting low price, low quality.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
I was a logitech die hard until my sister purchased a microsoft wireless keyboard/mouse combo.

Over the years, logitech stuff has gotten cheaper. You could feel that the parts were getting lighter, had more flex, worse feel, and loose tolerances. Using my sister's MS peripherals, you could instantly feel the difference. They just felt more substantial. This was confirmed in a different MS set that a co-worker purchased about a year later.

I've had few problems with either brand, but I would certainly look at a MS combo before a logitech combo after my experiences. I would not consider another brand.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I've had few problems with either brand, but I would certainly look at a MS combo before a logitech combo after my experiences. I would not consider another brand.

Unfortunately, Microsoft doesn't make a decent trackball and therefore is in my eyes disqualified from consideration in my input device purchases.

One thing that I really don't like about expensive mice is all the stupid extra buttons. It pisses me off to no end when I find a seven button mouse where someone has mapped "scroll down" to the button where one of my fingers naturally rests on that particular mouse.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
I really like my MS Wireless Laser 6000. I've had it so long that the silver paint is worn off.
Try to find a store that has mice on display that you can test.

I buy the cheapest MS optical mice I can find for work. (corded) It is surprising
how long these things last in an industrial setting. 3-4 years is not uncommon.

Sol

Storage is cool
Mad Catz (Who bought saitek) RAT mouses look interesting. Much more adjustable than the average mouse so you should in theory be able to make it pretty comfortable. For the price I'd really want to see one in person before buying though.

miksmi

What is this storage?
Thanks for the suggestions. Office Depot, Staples, and Best Buy had a limited selection of hands-on (out of the box) displays. I found this the most comfortable:

o Logitech M705 Marathon mouse

Plus: horizontal scrolling, forward/back buttons, hyperscrolling, full size.
Minus: Bluetooth-free, requires a proprietary dongle (Logitech Unifying receiver).

I got it for $19.99, list $49.99. Where? OfficeDepot.com, select in-store pickup and the price plummets. Out of stock at nearby OD so Best Buy price matched.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

ddrueding

Fixture
Bluetooth sounds good and all, but the thing just doesn't work well for mice in my experience. About once a month it drops the connection and doesn't re-connect without removing and re-adding a device (which is a PITA in windows, all versions).

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
One thing that I really don't like about expensive mice is all the stupid extra buttons. It pisses me off to no end when I find a seven button mouse where someone has mapped "scroll down" to the button where one of my fingers naturally rests on that particular mouse.
I'm not a fan of the extraneous buttons, but I can't really live without a thumb button.

It's terrible sitting down at a machine and not having that thumb button bound to the shift key.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
CougTek, sounds like I missed a good story. How did the mice end up in the the wall?
IIRC, the MX700 made its maiden and only flight when I looked at my stocks on a particularly bad day on stock markets and the MX1000 followed the steps of its ancestor after a customer pissed me off on the phone. The phone is on the same desk as my computer and the mouse was the first thing I grab after I terminated the call (and then the mouse).

time

Storage? I am Storage!

+1

BingBangBop

Storage is cool
Shift-click and Ctrl-click are useful in selecting lists.

If you click on the first item, then Shift-click on the last item in a list then everything in between is also selected. Ctrl-Click allows you to selectively toggle individual items in that list.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Your non-mouse hand is holding on to something other than the keyboard that makes the on mouse shift-click so valuable?