Home NAS

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
How much cache is in this NAS? Does this NAS unit allow you to adjust the cache allocation? You may need to test the reads multiple times to see a benefit from caching and you may also want to test a write file that's larger than cache to see what happens when you exceed the size of the cache.

I upped the ECCeRAM to 48GB and am using the SSDs as non-sequential. I think that is as good as it gets. The hard drives are noticeably less 'chattery' than before.
Anyway, it is fine for practical purposes and faster than a single drive for sure.
The only real complaint at this point is the fam noise. The fan module does not seem to be serviceable without some surgery that may void the warranty already and the replacement does not seem to be sold anywhere.

ddrueding

Fixture
I've looked into the same. I'm thinking that something external to the unit that prevents a direct noise path from the fans might be enough without having to dig into the device.

LunarMist

I've looked into the same. I'm thinking that something external to the unit that prevents a direct noise path from the fans might be enough without having to dig into the device.

IIRC perhaps you have the previous model (DS3615xs) at work? The fans are in an enclosure and the whole module pops out for a quick change. I'm sure that is good for a business stocking spare parts, but the module has some plastic tabs that would be marred if not destroyed. I'm also pretty sure Synology does that is deliberately to prevent DIY repairs. :(

LunarMist

I'm thinking of putting it in the corner under a table with some space to the walls. What would you use to reduce the sounds?

ddrueding

Fixture
In that configuration I'd just focus on making sure the unit is vibrationally isolated from the floor and then make sure the hard surfaces near it (back walls, floor, underside of table) have some sound absorbent stuff on them. That should leave it open enough to not restrict the airflow while preventing it from dominating the space.

LunarMist

In that configuration I'd just focus on making sure the unit is vibrationally isolated from the floor and then make sure the hard surfaces near it (back walls, floor, underside of table) have some sound absorbent stuff on them. That should leave it open enough to not restrict the airflow while preventing it from dominating the space.

Thanks. Do you suggest something like this?

ddrueding

Fixture
There are lots of options depending on the aesthetic and budget, but that is a good cheap option.

I think the most important thing is to isolate the unit from the floor. Getting it off the ground a bit will also help prevent it from picking up dust particles. [FONT=&quot]Link:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] http://a.co/5DoWEv0[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]

LunarMist

Jaw is very sore and I may have relocated the shoulder, so it will be a few days.

LunarMist

I have a knee injury from tripping on the NaDs but the others must have happened in bed while I was unconscious.

LunarMist

But you know what being abducted by aliens feels like?

The first rule of alien abduction is: You do not talk about alien abduction. The second rule of alien abduction is: You do not talk about alien abduction...

CougTek

Serial computer killer
A little over 1GBps, I've seen worse for a NAS. I hope this is finally adequate for your needs. Is it between your PC and the Synology DS3617?

LunarMist

A little over 1GBps, I've seen worse for a NAS. I hope this is finally adequate for your needs. Is it between your PC and the Synology DS3617?

Yes, it is direct with a different cable. Actual copies and saves from stupid PS are not that fast, but it is good enough for now. I will continue to use internal SSDs for the small data (office, pdfs, favorites, etc.) with backups to a folder on the DS3617xs. Having a single drive letter with 45TB of primary space is quite nice for once. The backup NAS is 43TB.

I removed the SSDs as they are just no good for my purposes. The Crystal Discmark transfer values are too flaky and I was using that to make decisions about some settings.
The network connection is surely better with 9000 BTU and I may not have had that enacted on the driver of the X520 in the main computer a week or so ago.
I had restored the c: image at some point, so I'm uncertain and the settings don't affect the TS-831x as much.

LunarMist

Did you want to wipe the drive and reuse it for Windows?
If so, throw it in a working Windows computer and use the CLEAN option in DISKPART on it. Be careful to select the right disk.

The drive is partitioned and I restored an image, but I still can't get it to work properly. It just won't boot from the M.2. The BIOS indicates SATA 1 for both an SATA SSD and the M.2 drive. Is that right or perhaps some conflict exists?

LunarMist

There are lots of options depending on the aesthetic and budget, but that is a good cheap option.

I think the most important thing is to isolate the unit from the floor. Getting it off the ground a bit will also help prevent it from picking up dust particles. [FONT="]Link:[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#111111][FONT="] http://a.co/5DoWEv0[/FONT][FONT="]

[/FONT]

I put the foams on the sides and some a few inches from the rear. It is supported by the isolator base.
However foam on the front falls off when the power is off.

DrunkenBastard

Storage is cool
The drive is partitioned and I restored an image, but I still can't get it to work properly. It just won't boot from the M.2. The BIOS indicates SATA 1 for both an SATA SSD and the M.2 drive. Is that right or perhaps some conflict exists?

Is this on your MSI Gaming 7? IIRC my m2 slot shows as SATA 5 (defaults).

LunarMist

The M.2 was on a PCI card since the board's M.2 slot shares resources with SATA ports. I need to reconfigure that system. I think a 4790th is still a decent system, no?

LunarMist

Would be a very nice cpu for a high performance FreeNAS box.

Very funny. I tried that last year unsuccessfully.
Now I want to actually use it for occasional processing, perhaps in parallel with the main system.
I may just run the new Samsung 850 as the boot and use the XP941 drive.

LunarMist

It seems that the XP941 does not boot normally due to being M.2, which must boot as EUFI. Since the installation was previously MBR I had to create and restore an image to GPT and force the EUFI in the BIOS during the process.

Stereodude

Not really a
It seems that the XP941 does not boot normally due to being M.2, which must boot as EUFI. Since the installation was previously MBR I had to create and restore an image to GPT and force the EUFI in the BIOS during the process.
That sounds about right to me.

LunarMist

That sounds about right to me.

I should have figured out last year that M.2 on board or PCIe adapter makes no difference, but anyway the XP941 is set up as the boot drive now.
I then replaced the aged Intel 520 SSD (Sandstorm based) with a new 250GB 850 EVO.

LunarMist

I'm thinking of putting a small NAS in Texas or Oklahoma.
How would you handle shipping? Should the drives remain in the NAS or should they be removed? Thanks.

DrunkenBastard

Storage is cool
I'm thinking of putting a small NAS in Texas or Oklahoma.
How would you handle shipping? Should the drives remain in the NAS or should they be removed? Thanks.

I'd pull the drives and transport them in a pelican case separately. If you will be there in person to set it up take the drives as carry on and FedEx/UPS the chassis, or take it as checked baggage.

LunarMist

It would be UPS ground. I'll pack the drives separately then.

LunarMist

Moved via UPS Ground?

Does it matter? Air is rather pricey for this purpose and a package travels by ground the last first and last miles anyway.

Does it make a difference which slots I use at the back end?

DrunkenBastard

Storage is cool
Does it matter? Air is rather pricey for this purpose and a package travels by ground the last first and last miles anyway.

Does it make a difference which slots I use at the back end?

No, that was directed at sechs who said he had moved his NAS fine with the drives still mounted. Driving down the road with the nas nice and comfy belted in on a cushy seat would seem to be perfectly fine, but once you go to UPS or Fedex (ground or air) they are playing football with their cargo. I guess if your data isn't critical you could roll the dice. We do get single replacement drives for our enterprise storage arrays at work shipped air directly out of Israel but the packaging per drive is sufficient.

I would place the drives back in the slots they were in when you get to the destination.