Ever wanted to know the thoughts of car fans?

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
e_dawg said:
I believe it is where there is a common high pressure fuel line that all the cylinders get their fuel from directly instead of relying on individual fuel injectors to do the work. This way, instead of fuel injectors misting the diesel into the cylinder at a relatively low pressure (resulting in incomplete combustion), the rail supplies fuel to the cylinders at something like 10,000 psi, resulting in a super fine "atomized" mist that is completely dispersed throughout the cylinder and mixed with air and undergoes complete combustion. This results in higher efficiency and power.

I beleive all modern diesels are direct injection now; the old style of indirect injection into a prechamber is all but gone.

Diesel engine manufactures like Daimler (the largest in the world) have produced an electronic injection system for Diesel similar to electronic gas injection systems, except with the required psi for proper atomization.

Nice thread.

Jake the Dog

Storage is cool
NRG = mc² said:
Not long, but lifting the clutch will jerk you back and slow you down a bit unless you either feather the clutch more than you should or do rev matching.

I would take it for granted when changing to a lower gear one wont just dump the clutch without giving it some revs - rev matching goes without saying IMO.

you're talking about double-clutching and for your average g'box, car it really isn't necessary. if you need to feather the clutch in a lot, then perhaps you're shifting too early.

honold

Storage is cool
it would appear i may be purchasing a jetta sooner than later :O

took my (1996) car to get evalled, has about 2k worth of 'should be dones' including a leaking head gasket...

the more i look at the 1.8t the more attractive it gets, though. it hits max torque at 2000rpm, better mileage, more nimble. doesn't have some of the options of the gli though, and the engine may sound worse. the test drive will prove it to me.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
If you are careful you may be able to get some significant miles out of it yet. My old car ran for three years after choking on some agua. The number four piston head was cracked but it did keep running.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
I'm not sure I understand the definitions of feathering, double-clutching and power shifting. I have an idea but anybody wanna fill me in?

Jake the Dog

Storage is cool
all terms are in relatioln to manual transmissions.

feathering is simply being steady and gently progressive with clutch engagement and release. too much feathering is known as "riding the clutch".

double-clutching is in reference to down-shifting. the idea is to raise engine speed (rpm) before lower gear engagement in effort to better match the new lower gear rpm. the benefit is reduced load on transmission's synchros which don't have to work as hard to spin the selected gear up to speed, there is less torsional shock loading on the g'box shafts and shifting becomes easier too. it's very easy to do, basically you just 'blip' the throttle to raise engine rpm after clutch engagement and whilst your shifting. once you have mastered the process, it's even possible to change gears without use of the clutch at all. it's called double-clutching because it's usually employed to aid to normal shifting.

power-shifting is basically up-shifting gears under power, ie, without taking your foot of the throttle. it not at all recomended with all but very strong (and usaully competition only type) transmissions. the transmission must be able to shift very quick and be able to handle shock loading.

Jan Kivar

Learning Storage Performance
Jake the Dog said:
double-clutching is in reference to down-shifting. the idea is to raise engine speed (rpm) before lower gear engagement in effort to better match the new lower gear rpm. the benefit is reduced load on transmission's synchros which don't have to work as hard to spin the selected gear up to speed, there is less torsional shock loading on the g'box shafts and shifting becomes easier too. it's very easy to do, basically you just 'blip' the throttle to raise engine rpm after clutch engagement and whilst your shifting. once you have mastered the process, it's even possible to change gears without use of the clutch at all. it's called double-clutching because it's usually employed to aid to normal shifting.

IIRC, double-clutching was used on older trucks that didn't have syncros. When downshifting You'd first press the clutch and put it to neutral. Then You'd depress clutch, press it back to the bottom, throttle in appropriate revs and at last, shift to the lower gear.

I wouldn't recommend changing gears without the clutch, as it consumes the syncros. In time the gears start to come off (back to neutral that is) when You ease up the throttle. I've driven an old Ford Transit ('92 was the model I think), which 2nd gear did it every time I eased the throttle up. I had to hold the gear stick in 2nd gear to prevent it from going to neutral.

Cheers,

Jan

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Let's see if I can use my new vocabulary properly.

Due to excessive power-shifting, these days I have to double-clutch due to half destroyed synchros. I don't have to hold it in gear regularly but once a quarter or so it slips out of gear. I now shift more softly and feather the clutch much more.

It's all true. Why does/did :( the vehicle have better pickup when I rode the clutch a little on take offs? Purely higher RPMs?

Handruin

Administrator
It gives the engine a running start before engaging it to the tranny. That's what helps with the take-offs. The effect pertains to higher RPM's, but also the fact that the engine doesn't slow down as much because slippage is occurring.

I don’t think you want to feather a clutch more, that will cause a greater amount of wear on it. Once the car gets rolling, you shouldn't have to feather at all unless you are racing.

I miss driving manual.

Jake the Dog

Storage is cool
well constructed Cliwell sorry Howtin er... :)

Handruin, feathering takes time and is not conducive to racing! in fact proper competition transmissions have straight-cut gears and no syncros allowing for fast, almost clutchless changes. of course a a competition g'box doesn't have to deal with low rpm changes, isn't designed to minimise noise or be very easy to shift. lacking those three requirements makes it easier to design anfd make a faster, stronger box.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Handruin said:
I don’t think you want to feather a clutch more, that will cause a greater amount of wear on it. Once the car gets rolling, you shouldn't have to feather at all unless you are racing.

I have a leaky rear main seal and I'm burning the oil off the clutch plate. Thats how I justify it anyway. I'm pretty careful these days because of the fragility of the vehicle and lack of depth ni the pocketbook.

FWIW, I've been looking at the post '94 32*is and the VW VR6. It just depends on when my current vehicle gives up the ghost. I'm not going into debt for a vehicle ever again if I can help it.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
You guys ever switch gears without using the clutch? It works if you match the input and output shaft speeds (aka match revs). It's a bit tricky and works the synchros a bit more but it works? Why would you want to do it? Because you can of course!

C

Handruin

Administrator
I've tried it on my first car at very low speeds and I was surprised it worked. I never did it again because I didn't have the funds to fix the tranny if I fubar'ed it.

Corvair

Clocker said:
You guys ever switch gears without using the clutch? ...

Yes, often -- in both automobiles and motorcycles. It's called "Speed Shifting." Well, I don't do it often anymore, but I used to do it often at one time.

Speed shifting requires letting off the accelerator pedal just enough to allow the primary (drive) gear to mesh with the secondary (output) gear as you press towards the next gear position, which can be up or down (e.g. -- 3rd to 4th, or 4th to 3rd). The "letting off the accelerator pedal" part has to happen -- in human terms -- "nearly instantaneously" with the shift and the foot back on the accelerator pedal.

For those that want to dig into transmissions, you can file away the inner edges of the synchro rings to allow better speed shifting performance, since this allows the gears to synchronise easier. One other note about speed shifting a lot is that you will put a fair amount of wear on the shifting forks from forcing the gears around on the shafts in an aggressive manner.

GIANT

Jan Kivar said:
IIRC, double-clutching was used on older trucks that didn't have syncros. When downshifting You'd first press the clutch and put it to neutral. Then You'd depress clutch, press it back to the bottom, throttle in appropriate revs and at last, shift to the lower gear.

Jan has the definition of Double Clutching correct, and the reasons why double-clutching is required. I might add that many heavy duty transmissions don't have a sychronised first gear.

Jake the Dog said:
power-shifting is basically up-shifting gears under power, ie, without taking your foot of the throttle. it not at all recomended with all but very strong (and usaully competition only type) transmissions. the transmission must be able to shift very quick and be able to handle shock loading.

From my somewhat extensive racing experiences, I can tell you unequivocally that Power Shifting ...erm SUCKS. Speed shifting (as I defined it earlier) is much more effective in any situation except for one (I'll get to that). Power shifting puts a lot of unnecessary stress and frictional wear on the clutch, as well as the motor's connecting rods and pistons due to the momentary free revving. Power shifting seems much more rooted in catharsis than in getting from Point "A" to Point "B" in the least amount of time. Summing it up, power shifting is for rednecks.

The one instance where *I* have used power shifting was where I needed to simultaneously upshift AND lift the front wheel off the ground at high speed in order to clear obstacles riding competition MX motorcycles, but this also works with dune buggies that have mucho horsepower. [For the curious, I used to ride Maicos mainly, but also Husqvarnas, a modified Yamaha, and the odd CZ. Later, I quit MX racing and rode enduros on Penton, Penton-maha (Penton + Yamaha engine), Montessa, and a shitty Greaves (once).]

honold

Storage is cool
i test drove the gls 1.8t and gli vr6 tonight with an enthusiast friend that drives a 6 cylinder chipped mid nineties golf

we both agreed that the vr6 felt and sounded much better. looks like i'll be buying a loaded gli in the next week or so.

e_dawg

Storage Freak
The double clutching definition seems incorrect twice; I would define it as disengaging the clutch, shifting into neutral, re-engaging the clutch, blipping the throttle, disengaging the clutch, shifting into the lower gear, and then re-engaging the clutch. The key difference is that you have to let out the clutch before you blip the throttle to spin up both the input and intermediate shafts. If you disengage the clutch and then blip the throttle, you are not spinning up the shafts. The syncros thus have to be recruited to match shaft speeds. Also to reiterate, as Gary and Jan indicated, rev matching does not equal double-clutching.

------

honold,

I knew you'd make the right decision :)

What colour are you getting?

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Jan Kivar said:
double-clutching was used on older trucks that didn't have syncros.

Trucks, Jan? Try that 1967 HR Holden I mentioned about the 10th post down on the first page of this thread. (Back when it was charmingly off-topic and in the other place.) The HR didn't have syncro on 1st. You had three choiices:

1: Stop, select 1st, start again.

2: Double declutch it

3: Crunch!

Jan Kivar

Tannin said:
Jan Kivar said:
double-clutching was used on older trucks that didn't have syncros.

Trucks, Jan? Try that 1967 HR Holden I mentioned about the 10th post down on the first page of this thread. (Back when it was charmingly off-topic and in the other place.) The HR didn't have syncro on 1st. You had three choiices:

1: Stop, select 1st, start again.

2: Double declutch it

3: Crunch!

I don't really have much knowledge of the older cars(say, 70's or earlier). Also, I can't justify why the US citizens have those "big blocks" in their cars (I do mean the engines). The fuel economy must really suck, if You're driving a car that weights over two tons, and has a 5 liter V8. I'm under the expression that these cars are usually the second car of the house, and are used to do short trips to grocerie stores. What a waste...

Jan

honold

Storage is cool
e_dawg said:
The double clutching definition seems incorrect twice; I would define it as disengaging the clutch, shifting into neutral, re-engaging the clutch, blipping the throttle, disengaging the clutch, shifting into the lower gear, and then re-engaging the clutch. The key difference is that you have to let out the clutch before you blip the throttle to spin up both the input and intermediate shafts. If you disengage the clutch and then blip the throttle, you are not spinning up the shafts. The syncros thus have to be recruited to match shaft speeds. Also to reiterate, as Gary and Jan indicated, rev matching does not equal double-clutching.

this was my thought as well. it dates back to older tractors where you had to clutch to neutral and then reclutch to gear. that's how my father learned to drive a stick.

What colour are you getting?

black w/black leather, loaded

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I had black leather in my Mustang and when the sun was shining on the car for more than a couple hours those seats would be so hot that I couldn't even sit on them. Never again will I get black leather. I like leather just fine, just not black leather (except my coat).

honold

Storage is cool
i don't like the look or the owner image, but my biggest gripe is the noise and TERRIBLE ride. i will confess i haven't been inside one for over a year.

Jake the Dog

Storage is cool
I'm normally not a fan of Mustangs either however on my last trip to the US ('99 I think), I had to commute between LA and San Diego quite a few times so my work gave me a then current model 5.0 topless Mustang to make the trips a it a little more fun. I made the effort to oblige them and 'forced' myself to have fun in that Mustang. now I don't mind Mustangs at all :wink:

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
honold said:
i don't like the look or the owner image, but my biggest gripe is the noise and TERRIBLE ride. i will confess i haven't been inside one for over a year.

The noise is the coolest part about driving a Mustang. What sports car have you driven that has a good ride. Let me list some that I have driven and then how well they ride.

1991 Toyota MR2 - Ride is slightly better than the Mustang, probably can be attributed to the not as low-profile tires.

1994 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4 - Ride is as bad as the Mustang, plus considering how big that car is there is no room on the inside at all.

1995 Mazda Miata - Rides pretty rough, at least as loud as the Mustang, just a more high pitched sound.

1997 Saab 900 - Not as rough of a ride, but still not smooth. Too quiet, I could barely here when the turbo would spin up.

2002 Subaru WRX - Pretty smooth ride, compared to the above mentioned cars. Not loud enough, can't hear the engine well enough.

Sports cars have a stiff ride because they have stiff suspension. I know the Mustang doesn't have independent rear suspension, but the Cobras do now (which is what I would buy if I had any money).

honold

Storage is cool
nissan 350z felt great :)

i'm not talking about sports suspension, i'm talking about the rattly 'i am driving a sardine can' feeling. it's not a sporty, pleasant kind of rough, and i suspect that's how they're able to sell such powerful cars so cheaply.

Jake the Dog

Storage is cool
honold, not weird, FRUSTRATING! :evil: I'm suffering from an incredibly slow connection both at work and home now too... this is causing double posts and all sorts problems. typically, I'll go to delete them, I'll get a timeout, make a cup of coffee, swear a bit , repost to come back and find changes are not as I made them. I get marked as having edited posts when not and posts I do edit are not marked as having been edited... php or mySQL is easily confused it seems.

Handruin

Administrator
I have red/ with black leather and it is livable after sitting in the hot sun for hours. It could be the tint level (factory) built into my glass that helps, or maybe it is the leather that doesn't absorb as much heat, but it is generally fine. There have been days when I were shorts and it burns a bit, but for the most part I can stand the black leather after sitting in the sun.

seats

Handruin

Administrator
Jake the Dog said:
honold, not weird, FRUSTRATING! :evil: I'm suffering from an incredibly slow connection both at work and home now too... this is causing double posts and all sorts problems. typically, I'll go to delete them, I'll get a timeout, make a cup of coffee, swear a bit , repost to come back and find changes are not as I made them. I get marked as having edited posts when not and posts I do edit are not marked as having been edited... php or mySQL is easily confused it seems.

Is the speed of this site unusually slow, or is every site slow for you? Don't worry about deleting double posts here, save yourself the stress. I think we all know it's not intentional.

Also, I do know that if you edit a post where there are no replies after the post you are editing, edits will not be recorded in phpbb. An edit time-stamp is only recorded if you edit a post where other posts follow.

I'd blame phpbb being the confuse-r. ;) MySQL is fairly rock solid, I can't say as much about php although it has come a long way.

Jake the Dog

Storage is cool
I recently had a hard 'fang' in a worked Nissan R32 GT-R. I don't know if you have them over in the States, they are a special non-factory import here. they run a sequential twin turbo 2.6 straight six and a reasonably sophisticated RWD/AWD setup usually running 100% to the rear but capable of giving the front wheels up to 50% if needed. the particular one I drove was produces about 350HP. it was a nice drive indeed, ride was smooth and turn-in was very nice. drive it hard through a corner and the rear drifts ever so slighty. the front only kicks in just before the point where you need to start working the steering wheel a fair bit to keep it on track. basically this this is almost idiot proof to drive hard and with 350HP it can goes pretty well.

overall I was more impressed than I thought I wold be. although at normal speeds the car drove like a borinngly sedate Corolla, once you push the car, it was simple to drive hard and fast and had almost had the road handling to match. at the end of the day though, I'd still prefer to hop in my more powerful and lighter Aussie V8 musclecar. it's got the character (in my eyes), power & handling and sounds are hard to match these days :)

Jake the Dog

Storage is cool
Doug, almost all overseas sites :( apparenltly it's a local routing issue although my home provider and works are on compitung networks do I don't see how it can be called local. any othr find overseas sites slow?

I edited a post at the start of thread and it didn't mark it as edited...

Handruin

Administrator
Ah the good Ol' skyline. As far as I know they are not produced or readily available in the USA. The skyline is on my list as a favorite car, but they are so damn expensive. :)

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Handruin said:
I have red/ with black leather and it is livable after sitting in the hot sun for hours. It could be the tint level (factory) built into my glass that helps, or maybe it is the leather that doesn't absorb as much heat, but it is generally fine. There have been days when I were shorts and it burns a bit, but for the most part I can stand the black leather after sitting in the sun.

seats

It has gotta be the tint level, because black absorbs heat very well.

Honold, if you get those black seats and they are hotter than hell during the summer, never say that nobody ever warned you.

honold

Storage is cool
sold!

i now 0wn a 2003 black on black leather loaded gli. should have it next week - there are none in my state :O

Handruin

Administrator
Post some pics when you get your new ride! Congrats on the purchase, I hope the car treats you well.