Folding@Home

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
What's wrong with the point attribution for the SMP units? I completed one well in time for the 9pm update yesterday, but I still haven't been credited for it (probably a 1760 points unit). I see SMP units in the stats of others, but somehow my last one wasn't rewarded.

I'll go bitch about it in Stanford's forum.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
What is happening with Boz?

My folding computer went off after the last thunder storm. Haven't fired it back up. Later this week, maybe. Trying to find a balance between the electric bill and folding.
The computer is also used for other projects / testing. I don't always have folding loaded.

Bozo :joker:

Splash

Learning Storage Performance
What's wrong with the point attribution for the SMP units? I completed one well in time for the 9pm update yesterday, but I still haven't been credited for it (probably a 1760 points unit)...

Same here. There was apparently (yet another) error with the Stanford database.

On a related note, that points database error that occurred about ten days ago was an absolute freeking doozie! Ever since the PS3 machines started cramming data into Stanford's F@H system, the weak links in their system have been surfacing.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
CougTek
24h point average : 1320
Points in the week : 9237

Bozo
24h point average : 1320
Points in the week : 9237

http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_list.php?s=&t=10047

Can't be more tight than this.

By the end of the day, you'll pass me for the total points in the week because I only have one 200 points unit left to be sent today. Last week would have been closer between you and I if the stats server wouldn't have trashed the 1523 points WU I sent Saturday evening.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Came home last night and found the power off again. Lost a bunch of folding time.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Nice to see us in the eight figures.

I should have a small boost in my production tomorrow. I built my first Quad for a customer and it is now finishing to install the drivers for its numerous peripherals. It's a Quad 6600. I currently have eight cores folding for me in my bedroom (another 2 in my kitchen). I'll deliver the Q6600 tomorrow afternoon. I hope I'll have the time to finish two SMP units untill then.

It's a dream machine :
  • Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
    Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
    Asus P5K-C motherboard
    Sapphire Radeon X1950XT 256MB
    Seagate 500GB SATA hard drive
    LG GSA-H62N SATA DVD burner
    42-in-1 Bytecc multi card reader
    Antec Sonata III with 80+ certified 500W PSU
And no, I won't install Vista on it. The customer prefered XP Home. Windows XP took only 19 minutes to install, from the first boot-up untill the first welcome screen. That's with the time I took to configure the keyboard options (not US layout around here) - which all in all add maybe a minute to a by-default US English installation.

The system is quiet, with the graphic card being the noisiest component. The customer should be happy.

Dïscfärm

CougTek said:
...The customer prefered XP Home...

Of note to those who may not know:

XP Home *will* work with multiple cores in one socket -- just not 2 sockets.

But only XP Professional will work with two sockets (multiple cores -- or not -- in each socket).

In other words, XP Home is sufficient for a single quad core system.

Dïscfärm

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
XP Home *will* work with multiple cores in one socket
Scratch "will", it does. Confirmed. I was also worried about this, although I read it should recognize all cores. It does ; all four cores showed up in the task manager and the system completed a 1523 points SMP FAH unit in 13.8 hours.

The customer looked happy.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
...all I gots here is a 3.2 GiggleHurtz Pentium 4 folding it's brains out 24/7. :silent:
For an equal amount of electricity, you could have a Q6600 and either multiply your current production by 7 or produce an equal amount of points by running the FAH client only one day a week.

I don't know electricity's price in your area, but a Q6600 + G33-based motherboard + 2GB DDR2 667MHz should cost you no more than 550$.

Wavemaker

What is this storage?
For an equal amount of electricity, you could have a Q6600 and either multiply your current production by 7 or produce an equal amount of points by running the FAH client only one day a week.

I don't know electricity's price in your area, but a Q6600 + G33-based motherboard + 2GB DDR2 667MHz should cost you no more than 550$.

When the time comes, I will buy either an upper-end 2-core or middling 4-core 45 nm microprocessor that will plug into a mid-tier single processor socket server/workstation mobo with PCIe Version 2 PCI Express. PCIe slots will need to be at least two 1-lane PCIe slots, one or two 4-lane PCIe slots, a pair of 16-lane and hopefully one PCI-X slot for 64-bit legacy purposes.

Even though some of you are buying "extra" computers basically just to run F@H on, I have no such plans. I think that idea runs counter to the spirit of F@H, where F@H uses spare processing cycles for calculations. I'm fairly certain my next computer build will be about 13 ~ 14 months from now, though I wouldn't be surprised if I somehow let that date slip to a point in time as late as February 2009 -- providing there was a distinct advantage (price, technology, etc) in extending my misery.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
Even though some of you are buying "extra" computers basically just to run F@H on, I have no such plans. I think that idea runs counter to the spirit of F@H, where F@H uses spare processing cycles for calculations.

I'm not: all my computers have independent uses. I just keep them on all the time folding, even when not needed.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
What I've been doing is, besides the PCs my wife & I use, running the client on the old 'clunker' PCs I come by. These are hand-me-downs or other old boxes. Like a P3-600 & a Duron 850.

To eliminate their power draw, though, I'll replace several of them with another quad-core shortly. Once done I'll have 2 quad-cores + a couple of Athlon 2700ish machines + my work laptop.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Not to blow my own horn but I passed a million points over the weekend.
It took me 3.5 years to hit a million points. In the 5 weeks since then I'm already 10% of the way to my next million. These C2Qs and the GPU Folding do wonders for point generation. If all goes well I'll have my second C2Q up this weekend. TigerDirect has the OEM Q6600 for $290 (in stock).

The new box will be 100% dedicated to Folding. I will run Windows but won't run any services, AV/AS, etc. to optimize performance. In the future I'll pick up another X1950 to get a second GPU Folder in the mix but that'll have to wait until I have some extra cash.

BTW I still haven't played with overclocking my main rig. Gotta fix a couple of outstanding issues before I can start playing & time has been in short supply.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Congrats to LiamC for passing the million point mark!

Will the current SMP beta expire soon? It's been about 2 months since the last beta expired.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
The current beta client's will expire Oct. 1st or 2nd depending upon the client.

Congratulations to Coug for passing the 500K mark too!

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
Congrats to LiamC for passing the million point mark!

Will the current SMP beta expire soon? It's been about 2 months since the last beta expired.

Sh!te! I didn't know I had until I read your post...

Congrats to Coug as well

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
Alright what is wrong with my SMP client? It won't get any work.
This is what the fah.exe does
Code:
Note: Please read the license agreement (fah.exe -license). Further
use of this software requires that you have read and accepted this agreement.

4 cores detected
No directory settings found in registry. Using current directory...

--- Opening Log file [September 6 02:14:11]

# SMP Client ##################################################################
###############################################################################

Folding@Home Client Version 5.91beta4

http://folding.stanford.edu

Launch directory: C:\Program Files (x86)\Folding@Home Windows SMP Client V1.01
Executable: C:\Program Files (x86)\Folding@Home Windows SMP Client V1.01\fah.exe

[02:14:11] - Ask before connecting: No
[02:14:11] - User name: Will_Rickards (Team 10047)
[02:14:11] - User ID: 19A76AB53F4050C1
[02:14:11] - Machine ID: 1
[02:14:11]
[02:14:11] Loaded queue successfully.
[02:14:11] - Preparing to get new work unit...
[02:14:11] + Attempting to get work packet
[02:14:11] - Connecting to assignment server
[02:14:12] - Successful: assigned to (0.0.0.0).
[02:14:12] + News From Folding@Home: Welcome to Folding@Home
[02:14:12] Work Unit has an invalid address.
[02:14:12] - Error: Attempt #1  to get work failed, and no other work to do.
             Waiting before retry.
[02:14:17] + Attempting to get work packet
[02:14:17] - Connecting to assignment server
[02:14:17] - Successful: assigned to (0.0.0.0).
[02:14:17] + News From Folding@Home: Welcome to Folding@Home
[02:14:17] Work Unit has an invalid address.
[02:14:17] - Error: Attempt #2  to get work failed, and no other work to do.
             Waiting before retry.

This is what my settings are:
Code:
[settings]
username=Will_Rickards
team=10047
asknet=no
bigpackets=yes
machineid=1

[http]
active=no
host=localhost
port=8080
usereg=no

[clienttype]
type=3

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
Nevermind, reconfigured and said use IE settings and it works.
New settings
Code:
[settings]
username=Will_Rickards
team=10047
asknet=no
bigpackets=yes
machineid=1

[http]
active=no
host=localhost
port=8080
usereg=yes

ddrueding

Fixture
I read elsewhere that if your temps are off by more than a degree or two, you might want to re-seat your heatsink. But all those temps are low enough that I might not bother.

LiamC

Storage Is My Life

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
Now it completed the first work unit but can't seem to submit it. Argh!
Also I seem to be getting FILE_IO_ERROR in the logs sometimes, is that normal?
Anybody running the SMP client want to post their config?
You just run it via a shortcut to fah.exe, correct? Since they don't support running it as a service. I just added the -forceasm to my shortcut.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
I just downloaded the SMP version and have yet to be able to get it to run on Server 2003.
Matter of fact, I am having trouble with the standard F@H. It has been on "Working..." for three hours now.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
Now it completed the first work unit but can't seem to submit it. Argh!
Anybody running the SMP client want to post their config?
You just run it via a shortcut to fah.exe, correct? Since they don't support running it as a service. I just added the -forceasm to my shortcut.

Do not directly edit the client.cfg file: it is actually a binary file and text editing it will simply kill it. Run the fah.exe with the -configonly parameter to edit it.

A shortcut to fah.exe would be appropriate once it has been properly installed. However, the SMP client actually needs to be installed properly and specifically needs the .NET framework 2.0 to be pre-installed and the install.bat run (from the administrator account -- Runas is not sufficient). After it has been installed, then you would run fah.exe and it will configure the client. If you have already attempted to configure it and need to do it over, then run fah.exe with the -configonly parameter or simply delete the client.cfg and then fah.exe will insist upon creating a new one. Of significant note, if you are running IE7 then you need to not connect with IE settings, however, if you are running IE6 or earlier, then use the IE settings (IE7 broke that particular feature/capability).

Does anyone need the Linux SMP/OSX SMP instructions?

My client.cfg for Windows XP:

[settings]
username=P5_133XL
team=10047
asknet=no
bigpackets=yes
machineid=3
local=33

[http]
active=no
host=localhost
port=8080
usereg=no

[core]
checkpoint=30
ignoredeadlines=no

[clienttype]
type=3

I use only the -verbosity 9 parameter

SMP FAQ said:
DETAILED WINDOWS INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS

Installation instructions are also included with the client download in a readme.rtf file.

NOTE: The account under which the client runs MUST have a password. Blank passwords will cause the FAH cores to fail.

1. Required component for XP & 2000 (not Vista, as it is built in): The Windows SMP client requires the Microsoft .NET framework v2.0; please install this prior to installing the client. The version 2.0 framework is required; it can co-exist with other versions, but this version must be installed. It can be obtained from Microsoft at the following URL: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...cb-4362-4b0d-8edd-aab15c5e04f5&displaylang=en. Administrator privileges are required for install.

2. Unpack files. Run the self-extracting installer to unpack the SMP client files.

3. Client installation. Run install.bat from within the SMP install directory to complete the installation. This will install MPI services that the client needs. If you have Windows Firewall enabled, you may get a pop-up window asking if you should give access to the smpd and mpiexec programs. Grant access. If you use an alternate firewall product, you will likely have to make a similar exception for smpd.

**NOTE** The username and password you provide for mpiexec should be your Windows login that you will run the client under. This is used for authentication on your local machine. It is cached in encrypted form in your Registry and is not transmitted to FAH servers.

At the end of the install process, you should see two lines of output:

If you see this twice, MPI is working
If you see this twice, MPI is working

If you do not see these lines, do not start the client. MPI is not successfully installed, and the client will not run successfully.

4. Run the client:

Run fah.exe to start the SMP client. You will get another pop-up firewall window. Note: We do not currently support running the SMP client as a service.

5. Troubleshooting:

If the client reports an error code -1, it is likely due to an mpi problem. Try re-registering mpiexec by

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
I just downloaded the SMP version and have yet to be able to get it to run on Server 2003.
Matter of fact, I am having trouble with the standard F@H. It has been on "Working..." for three hours now.

You actually have to install the SMP client (see above for instructions), not merely run it. and don't forget to make the CPU ID different (I use 1 & 2 for the standard; 3 for the SMP; and 4 for the GPU) than the standard clients to prevent accidental conflicts.

Also, the SMP client is very sensitive to network interruptions. If the network goes down, for any reason (like a power saving mode, or a intermittent wireless router, or you just reconfigured it), the SMP client has a fit. It uses the network for inter-process communications. Most of the time, it will shut down all the cores while keeping the client alive doing nothing but sometimes it will EUE with a client-core communications error.

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
So I keep getting this and the client wouldn't start normally or submit my second work unit. clearing out and downloading a new unit did not help either.
So I went to the folding-community.org site and this thread seemed to have the solution. I excluded the f@h folder from my virus scanner (nod32). Now the work unit has started. We'll see if it gets submitted properly in about 24 hours.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
So I keep getting this and the client wouldn't start normally or submit my second work unit. clearing out and downloading a new unit did not help either.
So I went to the folding-community.org site and this thread seemed to have the solution. I excluded the f@h folder from my virus scanner (nod32). Now the work unit has started. We'll see if it gets submitted properly in about 24 hours.
Hmmm...That is an interesting thought. I wonder if Symantec is screwing with my F@H install.

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
We'll see if it gets submitted properly in about 24 hours.

Work units are getting submitted, downloaded, started and finished properly! So I'm churning out those points now. The only thing is the client seems to complain about files it couldn't delete. But when I check for them they are already deleted. So I think this warning is resolved by something else in the process.