How to deal with wind chill?

Handruin

Administrator
If I hadn't spent 3 grand to have my nose fixed, I might be willing to get in the ring with you folks;-) In my prime, I hit harder then the world welterweight title holder, Milton McCrory, but no where near as hard as Thomas Hearns.

By the way, your comments on my grammar is missing that I use ambiguous references to add to the depth of my posts. You might also miss that I may be aware of what the proper term is, and then use one that gives credence to
what I'm really thinking. Hence then might indicate a reference to an older system, like nearly 12 years, when comparing to something newer.

Perhaps subtle English/American terms, slang, are difficult to translate, or understand.

I have a very hard time understanding the subtle English humor used in Top Gear, for example.

David, the cat just got done eating curried rice...;-0 WTH?

Now I'll be the first to admit when I make mistakes and not try to play them off as something else...so can you explain the usage of "then" in the context above in relation to how you justified your usages in the post preceding it? :-D

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Don't expect a reply this evening or tonight, I don't think uncle Greg is at home. I believe he's on Dave's couch, yelling after his wife because she didn't serve his beer cold enough ;-) "Milwaukee's Best??? I wouldn't want to taste their worst! You couldn't buy me something better? Or at least serve it cold! Ah the Russians! At least during the good old days of Cold War it was politically correct to hate you!" grumble, grumble, grumble.

Seriously, grammar aside, is it warmer in your home this evening?

Handruin

Administrator
Don't expect a reply this evening or tonight, I don't think uncle Greg is at home. I believe he's on Dave's couch, yelling after his wife because she didn't serve his beer cold enough ;-) "Milwaukee's Best??? I wouldn't want to taste their worst! You couldn't buy me something better? Or at least serve it cold! Ah the Russians! At least during the good old days of Cold War it was politically correct to hate you!" grumble, grumble, grumble.

In mine it is. It was around 70F in here today. I stayed home sick today and worked in my garage where it was cooler.

Handruin

Administrator
Yeah, not sure what's going on with my throat and chest. Sleeping hasn't been fun.

ddrueding

Fixture
Way too hot for me; spent the evening in a button down and a sport coat. Didn't look too different from the secret service guy...ok, I guess I did :(

Santilli

Hairy Aussie

I think I met David's wife(I should use a score card with David to try and remember which are the engagements, marriages and divorces) and, if it's the same one, I wouldn't be saying anything like that to her. First, I respect David, and, his wife is both too nice and demands too much respect to address in such a way.

Milwaukee makes beer? I haven't had anything from them in so long, I can't remember the last time. My idea of garbage beer is Becks, and I'm generally an Eye of the Hawk type.

50/36 generally feels really cold. Today was a bit better, supposed to be 55/40. However, I just did two basketball games tonight with adults, and had to put a long sleeve shirt on, since my hands were going numb. Hard to shoot when it's that cold. No heat in the gym, and my scorekeeper, Kirra, had on a warm jacket, wool, matching pink scarf, and gloves. She's as beautiful as the point break, by the way.

Handruin:

The first then was in reference comparing my aged, and beloved Xeon machine to a new, economy chip. I enjoyed that machine, for both the scsi stuff, the build, and time, and how overall successful it was, and for how long.
When I have something that long, and I use it all the time, I usually become attached to it. These days the kids use slang like,
"That's so yesterday."
Actually, they don't often use that many syllables. More like,
"That's so old, past, then, etc." fill in the blank.

I was thinking that the Xeons, and the machine were indeed 'then', dated, old, and that I am sadly coming around to the reality that you guys are right, it's better to build every couple years, if for no other reason then having parts to swap in and out being current, so you can trouble shoot a problem. Nothing hit home more then recently looking back, trying to find what enterprise storage solutions are, and finding I'm about 3 generations removed, looking at SCSI, and it's replacements.

I do wonder these days, about how this is going to play out. Lunarmist is calling the Beast old and dated. As Mercutio has mentioned, with the i7 series, even the 920, pretty much nothing anyone does with it gets over 15% processor useage. While I'm aware the new generation Intel chips are a 2-3 times faster, I'm wondering when anyone is going to write software that can actually USE that speed. F@H is the only thing I sometimes do that gets even close.

As for the boxing 'then', that was also a time reference, since Hearns, McCroy and Stewart came to the Kalakaua gym in about 1993. Last time I heard, or checked, the gym is gone, probably replaced by a parking lot.
That also is a time reference, since it seems light years ago, both in the difference between being 37 and my current age, and the people, place and time, Hawaii vs. here, etc.

I came to that conclusion by being between the pro boxers, as they hit heavy bags on each side of me. I also enjoyed it just to piss on your prior comment;-)

Might you increase the edit time from 5 minutes to say 20? I would be more grammatically correct after rereading my posts a couple times.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Of course then you would have to improve your snide remarks;-)

Today, in the house, I used the following heating techniques:

Take a hot bath. Empty tub, refill with 140 degree water, then, use a fan to blow the hot air into the rest of the house. We pay for electricity, but not the power used to heat the common water heater.
Cooked a really great top sirloin steak in the oven for my girlfriend who is staying over. Heats the house, and, we get to eat perfect steak, and beef stroganoff.

Small forced air heater that has used 76 KWH so far this month. Sun shining through in the afternoon. Hot water left in sink.

DrunkenBastard

Storage is cool
Of course then you would have to improve your snide remarks;-)

Today, in the house, I used the following heating techniques:

Take a hot bath. Empty tub, refill with 140 degree water, then, use a fan to blow the hot air into the rest of the house. We pay for electricity, but not the power used to heat the common water heater.
Cooked a really great top sirloin steak in the oven for my girlfriend who is staying over. Heats the house, and, we get to eat perfect steak, and beef stroganoff.

Small forced air heater that has used 76 KWH so far this month. Sun shining through in the afternoon. Hot water left in sink.

Hmm, fan next to a tub full of water, whatever could go wrong....

On the plus side you are fully prepared for a bushfire now :)

Have you considered hooking up some underfloor radiant heating and just hook up to a tap, draining to waste? Maybe if CA continues to turn into a glacier whilst the rest of the country basks in 70 degrees +.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Feet are a major problem. For some reason, the floor in my room is REALLY cold, hence, very cold feet. I have been looking at all kinds of heating options. Just haven't found the right one...

time

Storage? I am Storage!
I've heard of a new technology called "shoes" that might help in your situation. There's a specific example that is sold as "slippers" that I believe is a popular product around the home.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
I've considered that. I've gone with uggs, original, before they were uggs uggs, like from 1973. They still hold together, and, the wool is still holding up. Expensive, even back then. Great for apre le surf.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I've heard of a new technology called "shoes" that might help in your situation. There's a specific example that is sold as "slippers" that I believe is a popular product around the home.

:) :rofl:

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Have you seen a doctor lately? Perhaps there is a peripheral circulation problem.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I always tell my parents that some day I'm going to make my fortune by being the first person to bring amazing "shoe" technology south of the Mason-Dixon line.

They don't think that's as funny as I do.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Fantastique pour après le surf. If you want to speak like Molière, try to do it as skillfully as I speak like Shakespeare. ;-)

As you have pointed out, I must be language challenged. If I can't speak English, why do you think I care about defiling French? ;-)

Amazing I fooled all those teachers...and then they made me one...

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Spent 5:30 to 9 PM running up and down a lacrosse field, in pouring rain, and very cold temperatures. 4 layers on the legs, 4 on top and I was rather toasty. My hands went numb at the end, and my head a bit as well.

All told a hot toddy and warm bath are in order while the heater tries to dry everything out.

ddrueding

Fixture
Yup. My ride tonight was pretty cold as well. 20mph headwind and pouring rain. You know you are cold when a steaming hot shower is cold by the time it reaches your feet ;)

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Ocean Beach, San Francisco, is beautiful and offshore. It's 37 degrees and sunny. I'm going to do two baseball games, and won't be done till about 3:30, by which time the wind will have switched. There are about 5 guys out from what I can see with the
webcams at

www.surfline.com

I've got the window open to air the room out from using bleach to clean the bathroom. My hands are going numb typing.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
I've got 4 BIG birds, turkeys making lots of noise and some geese on the golf course. They think it's a beautiful day for breakfast.

We recently had two geese walk slowly across one of the main intersections in Walnut Creek, tails in the air like they just don't care. Honking et cetera did not get them airborne. They walked over and started feeding on a small grass patch at a standard station. They came right up to me as I was taking pictures of them.

We are having more and more of this behavior but it's usually turkeys holding up traffic, and I don't mean our average drivers.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
IMAG0013.jpg

http://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-...code_result&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CCEQ8gEwAA

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
It's rained so hard that a sand trap on the golf course is full to the brim and looks like a children's swimming pool.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Considering prostitution is legal in Nevada and I'm going to watch a bunch of beautiful girls play volleyball in skin tight outfits, that is SO funny, in SO many ways;-)

Handruin

Administrator
I'm attempted to follow his train of thought but came up empty... :scratch:

My guess is his comment is in relation to yours with respect to "Don't make that trip with anyone you're not willing to eat."

Stereodude

Not really a
My guess is his comment is in relation to yours with respect to "Don't make that trip with anyone you're not willing to eat."
Yes, but his comment doesn't shed any light on his traveling companions. Just who he may (will?) be interacting with when he gets to Nevada (assuming he goes that far).