How to deal with wind chill?

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Today, at 4 am, a tropical 32 degrees. My feet have been cold all day...

fb

Storage is cool
Norwegian isn't my first language so I might have missed some of the finer points in the article. But it basically says that the climate changes doesn't lead to more storms. There's been a few lately around here so it's a popular discussion topic. But apparently there are periods with much storms and then periods with calmer winds.

On the other hand, the article says that the temperature in Norway has risen 1 degree in the last 100 years, and the increase in precipitation has been 20% in the same period. So we can expect higher temperatures and more rain in our corner of the world in the future if things continue like this.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
60 here.
This morning it's 31.5. So I'm dressing antarctic.
Going to work. Later

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walnut_Creek,_California
Guess -8 is as cold as it's ever been.

Yesterday morning I drove to San Jose. Felt fine, thanks to 4 layers and a big down jacket.
Felt fine until I started to change in the parking lot. In 5 minutes my hand and arms were close to numb, and I was really cold. This was in the time it takes to pull off 4 layers, and put on 4 layers.
When I got inside, they had the heat blasting(San Jose Convention center). Nice, down to one layer. They then turned the heat down, and the doors opened, and hands started going numb again. Had to put on a jacket. Almost felt like the air conditioning was on.
Later in the day, one layer was fine.

CougTek

Serial computer killer
I decided that since -25C should be the coldest Winter will be here this year, it was the perfect time to take a walk outside. I wore uninsulated shoes, a leather coat above my T-shirt, tin pants and gloves. I didn't wear a hat. I've been outside for a bit more than 20 minutes and the only place I felt cold was on my legs. With jeans, I would have been ok, but the pants I currently wear are made with a very light fabric. It's almost like wearing nothing. I was almost disappointed not to feel cold more than this.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
I have no idea what that's like. It's kind of tropical right now. Went from 31 up to 41. Wet cold here, but, it's still a long way from -25.

Are you part polar bear?;-)

Striker

Learning Storage Performance
I think he's just more used to the cold than you and others used to warmer weather are.
I certainly wouldn't be comfortable in that situation but I've been known to wear shorts and short sleeves when it gets down to around 45F and only wear a light jacket around 30F.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Don't know whether this belongs here or in the cycling thread, but I did an hour on the Airborne yesterday when it was hovering right around freezing. Today it was 23°F when I went out but I still lasted 6 miles and 23 minutes. In both cases I only stopped riding when my fingers were numb to the point I couldn't work the brakes or shifters any more. Ironically, that was the controlling factor more than anything. My torso area was sweating. I imagine if I could find warmer gloves I could last quite a bit longer.

23°F and 20 mph winds (about right given my speed most of the ride) gives a wind chill of 8°F. That might sound tropical to Coug, but it's downright freezing to most of us.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Incidentally, the time I felt the coldest in my life was one day in February 2007 when I went to Chinatown for Chinese New Year with my mom. It was about 15°F when we left that afternoon. By the time we came home late that night, it was single digits. To make things worse, when we got off the subway to wait for the bus to take us the rest of the way home, it was horribly windy. That particular area is notorious for winds due to the way the large number of tall buildings funnel the air (the location is the Continental Avenue/Forest Hills station on the E/F lines). The winds had to be going at least 25 mph, with gusts into the 40s. I stood partly down the subway stairs to shelter myself as much as possible while waiting for the bus, but it was still awful. We had just missed one bus. That time of night they run something like 20 minutes apart. 20 minutes in that frozen hell seemed like an eternity. It almost made my wish for summer. Note the operative word almost. In the end though I'll still take that over 95°F and near 100% humidity any day. I hate summers with a passion.

The key to staying warm when it's cold is to keep moving at a good pace. Standing still is why I was so cold that day.

ddrueding

Fixture
Ran support for a long bike ride yesterday and today. Both days started at 31F (plus wind chill of course) ~70 miles Sat, ~100 today, each with over 4500 feet of elevation change and both completed in under 6 hours.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Been a long day. Slaving away watching girls play volleyball, and ref the games.
Started at 5 am, wore my heated vest, and even changing was toasty.
Got done at 11 PM, and home at 12. It's 35 right now, forecast to be 27 this morning. I'll be up at 5AM, and let you know. It's going for 21 tomorrow, which for us, is beyond freezing. The weird part is it's supposed to rain the day after, and, moist air usually is warm, and coming in from the south...

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
5:30 am. 26.4 defreezes:-(

Black ice warning was posted, and I have to drive to San Jose, ASAP.
David's area should be in the low 20's as well.

Felt REALLY cold this morning, and I thought I had the heat on, but, the partial setting for the HHS didn't work.
Time to go.

Handruin

Administrator
Is the weather really bothering you that much? You seem concerned to report it. It's snowing here for the first time in a while. No big deal with a temp of 32F though.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
It's 29 right now, at 3 am, and dropping. Yes, the weather is a hassle. A lot of the sports I do are outside. Some function even in snow, Lacrosse in particular. Surfing is almost always good due to offshore winds. Here, that means they are coming from Nevada/Sierras, and, about 99% of the time, REALLY cold. As I get older I'm loosing the young hubris/tolerance for freezing my ass off. Also, the cold makes you more susceptible to getting sick, a real problem for someone without health care.

This entire winter has had pretty good to excellent surf due to the constant offshore winds.
I've been trying to figure out how to get there. Get dressed, surf, and get out, without turning into an icicle. I've slowly put together a plan:
Thicker wetsuit, still needs thicker gloves and booties. Heated vest. Poly long underwear.

Even volleyball takes place in giant rooms, with either poor heating, heating they turn off early(San Jose Convention Center), or turn on late(San Mateo Convention center).

Also, my car has a large radiator for the engine size, designed to keep it cool in hot weather. Hawaii was never under 60 to speak of, and often in the 80-90 range. It has a double thick radiator.
Yesterday, it took a LONG time to get warm, and stalled in the middle of a big local street. Just switched to higher percentage of anti-freeze to prevent the radiator from bursting tonight, and, getting the car warmer, faster.
My experience has been anti-freeze heats much quicker then water, but then dumps heat at a lower temperature. So the car gets warmer faster, and stays warmer, but never goes as high as it would with water.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I had to stay up all night. I got to watch four inches of snow evaporate from the parking lot over about the last six hours. Now it's all foggy and crap.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
WhY? It's 28 at 6 am. woke up after going to bed early at 3 am. Roomie emailed me his best friend has an apartment, and he's moving out. Not here. Watching Sherlock 3 season 2.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Santilli, If your car is not heating up fast enough. You are either impatient (understandable) or you need to replace your thermistat. $8

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Thermostat works. It's a very big radiator, for a very small engine. Also, it's just not tuned very high, and doesn't create that much heat, a good thing for engine longevity.

The Anti-freeze solution is working. It heats up faster, and won't freeze.

BingBangBop

Storage is cool
My opinion: People supposedly like StorageForum because the signal to noise ratio is relatively high. I observe that in this thread the signal is zero and the noise is 100%. Why does anyone care what the outside temperature is at Santilli's location when virtually everyone here lives elsewhere? Is his temperature status so important, like the mood of a God or a King, that it affects everyone here?

So far it is relatively contained in a single thread. What happens to the membership if this behavior starts spreading and the S/N decreases overall?

I know that my opinion is not very important, but this thread grates on my nerves. Yes, I know -- Just don't click on it. But still, ...

Mercutio

I know that my opinion is not very important, but this thread grates on my nerves. Yes, I know -- Just don't click on it. But still, ...

Just roll with it, man. Santilli wants to talk about the weather where he is and it's not preventing any other discussion.

Some of us have pet threads. I keep resurrecting the "Media Players" thread and for that matter every once in a while someone will post an update to a five or six year old thread. In some cases, that's being done to centralize experiences for better results for hypothetical google users. At other times it's just because it's funny to bring up an old thread.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
I enjoy hearing about what everyone deals with. We all have been together a LONG time, and been through a bunch of stuff. Some of us have helped others out in hard times.

Ton of wisdom here, and I'm not used to such a cold year, and, as I get older, I'm trying to learn ways of dealing with it.

This is after all, the Pub & Brewery. Title says it all.

Weather is a real common topic in bars. In particular when it's not the normal weather pattern.

If your employment required you to get out in 30-35 degree weather for long periods of time, wouldn't weather, and how to deal with rain, snow, wind chill be something high on your list?

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
This website is my bible for weather in the bay area:

http://sfports.wr.usgs.gov/wind/streaklines.shtml

If the wind is offshore, surf is good, weather is cold to freezing.

If the wind is from the south, it usually means warmer air, and a weather front is about to come in, bringing rain. Strong south winds means a bigger storm.

If your favorite sport relies on certain weather conditions to work, I guess that might explain my fascination with the subject.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
It's my Birthday. It's early, and I have to be on a baseball field at something absurd like
7:30, and, it's freezing, literally: 32 degrees. Looks like my thin long underwear just turned thick.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Happy Birthday, Greg. I wish you a hamper full of iThings as gifts. Maybe you'll eventually get to like them.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Very funny. Just feels that way right now.

Legs need pain killers from running bases like I was 21...

Mercutio

Last night, one mile from the southernmost tip of Lake Michigan, it was 59F at 11:00PM. It's suppose to get to the upper 50s today.

Man our weather is screwed up this winter.

Mercutio

We had a week where it snowed, warmed up to 45, snowed warmed up to 45 and then snowed and warmed up to 45.

Where are you in PA, Will?