How to deal with wind chill?

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Wow, you really stayed awake all night long watching the temperature drop? Talk about an obsession.

The lowest temperature I've experience from memory was in 1993 or 1994, -37C or 38C (~-35F), -53C (~-64F) with windchill. I was out working outside for several hours in the late night/early morning. I didn't feel my feet and didn't know when they touched the ground. When I've been done with my job, I ran home and the exercice is probably what kept me from freezing to death (it was in a mostly unhabitated area). I wasn't particularly well dressed for that kind of temperature (normal work boots, light winter coat with only a T-shirt underneath and I wore gloves, not mitts). Since that particular night/morning, I've been a lot less sensible to cold.

Adcadet

Storage Freak
I've been camping and slept outside when it's been -26F (-32C) without windchill. My group was most definitely prepared, but it still sucked when our quinzee mostly collapsed.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
It's California. They don't use heat because it's never this cold. Lol

That is not my experience. Everywhere I've been there is heat. In the old days there were wall gas radiators, or in some places electric heat. Some houses built in the 50s had swamp coolers rather than AC, but in the last 50 years they used AC. I've seen heat pumps also, and they work fairly well in most areas because it is not usually so cold in the winter.

The only places I've lived in that had no heat were in Puerto Rico. Hawaii might be like that too, but I've not noticed.

Handruin

Administrator
That is not my experience. Everywhere I've been there is heat. In the old days there were wall gas radiators, or in some places electric heat. Some houses built in the 50s had swamp coolers rather than AC, but in the last 50 years they used AC. I've seen heat pumps also, and they work fairly well in most areas because it is not usually so cold in the winter.

The only places I've lived in that had no heat were in Puerto Rico. Hawaii might be like that too, but I've not noticed.

I was kidding. I'm sure people use heat in California.

DrunkenBastard

Storage is cool
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walnut_Creek,_California#Climate

Record low from the 1893''s to 1974 or so was 18 degrees in December. I moved her in the mid 60's, left in 72, and have been around since 1995. I guess I missed the 18 degree days, though it did hit 27 or less about 12 years ago.

The average low in December is 37, and, we have been about 5 degrees below that, consistently, this month.

Now 25.7

Meanwhile on the other side of the country we are on track to have the least amount of snow in December since 1939. Some places get warmer, other places get cooler.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
No kidding:
"...FREEZE WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 11 PM THIS EVENING TO 9 AM PST
SUNDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN SAN FRANCISCO HAS ISSUED A FREEZE
WARNING...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 11 PM THIS EVENING TO 9 AM PST
SUNDAY.

* TEMPERATURES: EXPECT WIDESPREAD LOWS IN THE 20S LATE TONIGHT
INTO SUNDAY MORNING. ISOLATED WIND SHELTERED SPOTS COULD EVEN
BRIEFLY DIP INTO THE UPPER TEENS.

* IMPACTS: SENSITIVE VEGETATION COULD BE KILLED BY THE COLD
TEMPERATURES."

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Ours works, but the buildings were built in the early 60's, and the heating stuff they use was pre-energy efficient.
The Beast and the server are excellent sources of heat, along with the floorboard alum
heater.
Only 25 last night.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
My love keeps me warm.

Also: It was around 55 F during the day the whole time I was in central TN last week, since we're comparing temperatures that are in places.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
My love keeps me warm.

Also: It was around 55 F during the day the whole time I was in central TN last week, since we're comparing temperatures that are in places.

You met a local woman? :cool:

Mercutio

You met a local woman? :cool:

Ha.

Even if I did, in the entirety of my experience, any woman that shows me any degree of personal affection is either openly gay or about to come out. Which, due to its implications, is not a line of thought I like to pursue.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Hmmm. It's warm lately. Around 40 at night. Wind off the Sierras died for the last couple days, and it was foggy at the beach today. Looks like the wind is kicking up again, since temps are going for the 35 area, starting tomorrow.

Cougtech:

Love to meet you, no spooking involved.

.Nut

Learning Storage Performance
...a while back, the ice nearly doubled, as did the bear population. Now we are loosing bears because the ice caps are shrinking, giving them less liveable habitat.

But, what about the Arctic Monkeys?

Handruin

Administrator
Hmmm. It's warm lately. Around 40 at night. Wind off the Sierras died for the last couple days, and it was foggy at the beach today. Looks like the wind is kicking up again, since temps are going for the 35 area, starting tomorrow.

Cougtech:

Love to meet you, no spooking involved.

You may not if you keep spelling his name incorrectly. :-D

Stereodude

Not really a
It was about 50F here yesterday.

I washed the 2003 Malibu yesterday in the driveway with a sponge, bucket, and my power washer. I could tell it hadn't been cleaned in quite a while. I also vacuumed out the inside, washed the windows inside, wiped down / cleaned all the plastic in the interior, put rain-x on the front window, etc, etc...

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
34 and dropping fast.
PG&E went from 45.00 to 160.00 for December.
And you wonder why I try an limit heat use? Most of that is folding @ home, I'm pretty sure.
It's so cold that when the in house system are set at 10%, they are at full throttle, since the cold air hitting them is so far below what they expect.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
I'm looking forward to June when I'll be scuba diving from a sailboat for a week. Pretty exciting.

In other news, it's 50 and raining for the last 3 days.

Mercutio

The greater Chicago area is north of 50 and supposedly will hit 60 tomorrow.
It was 61 degrees today in North Dakota, one of those places that might very well report a January temperature of -60.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
This is REALLY frigging cold, even if it's dry:
The coldest temperature on record for the South Pole site is -117.0°F (-82.8°C) set on June 23, 1982. The pole is one of the driest places on earth with an estimated total annual precipitation of just .20” (4.5mm) although blowing snow contributes to about an 8-inch snow accumulation each year.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
You discovered tonight that it was cold in Antarctica? I guess it's never too late. -82C ; I might have put a coat before taking a walk outside...

For the record, the lowest reliable measured temperature on Earth was −89.2 °C (−128.6 °F) at Vostok (Russian South Pole station) on july 21, 1983.

fb

Storage is cool
It was an impressive effort, most of us would probably die if we tried something like that.
But the water temperature must by definition have been >0 C, or she would walk on the ice. There are plenty of places where lakes freezes in the winter. And my thermometer showed -5 degrees this morning, that's colder than some places at Antarctica at the moment. It's not like they have -80 C everywhere all the time.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
It's now f....g 30. It's not supposed to be this cold this long. F.... Al Gore