How to deal with wind chill?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
How long is a day Östersund this time of year?

I was really excited last week when I noticed that it was after 5PM and still light out.

fb

Storage is cool
How long is a day Östersund this time of year?

I was really excited last week when I noticed that it was after 5PM and still light out.

Today we had sunrise 08:39 and sunset at 15:50, it's not that far north. But we've gained 41 minutes of daylight since last week, that's pretty nice.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
I enjoy hearing about what everyone deals with. We all have been together a LONG time, and been through a bunch of stuff. Some of us have helped others out in hard times.

Ton of wisdom here, and I'm not used to such a cold year, and, as I get older, I'm trying to learn ways of dealing with it.

This is after all, the Pub & Brewery. Title says it all.

Weather is a real common topic in bars. In particular when it's not the normal weather pattern.

If your employment required you to get out in 30-35 degree weather for long periods of time, wouldn't weather, and how to deal with rain, snow, wind chill be something high on your list?

36 and snow this morning

Handruin

Administrator
I'm mean, seriously, it's California...it's not Cougtek-land Quebec or Alaska. I doubt even he wears long underpanties. He's probably outside in shorts when it's 35F outside.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I wear thermals in Antarctica and also at high altitude where it can be really cold. Mammoth in the winter is the only cold place I've seen in CA, though Im sure there are others.

CougTek

Serial computer killer
I'm mean, seriously, it's California...it's not Cougtek-land Quebec or Alaska. I doubt even he wears long underpanties. He's probably outside in shorts when it's 35F outside.
Jeans are the only pants I wear, Summer like Winter. I've never wear long underwear, but I thought some folks in Santilli's generation use them as indoor fashion wear :p

images

LunarMist

Jeans are the only pants I wear, Summer like Winter. I've never wear long underwear, but I thought some folks in Santilli's generation use them as indoor fashion wear :p

Wow, I am not allowed to wear jeans. What do you do when crossing water?

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Tolerance to cold is determined by body fat content, and metabolism.

I am fairly fit, and have a slow heart beat, and relatively low body fat.

Also, genetic predisposition helps, and, since I'm primarily Italian, the Med is where I am comfortable. I grew up in L.A. for 11 years, and then the rest in NorCal.
10 years in Hawaii, and back here.

I've got over the manhood grows by your tolerance to cold bullshit that surfers run up here. I guess this is to combat the truth, Peabody runs and hides from cold like a rabbit going into a deep hole
when it's 32 degree wind chill, and 49 degree water.

The smart money is using every tech and device to be warm, healthy and happy.

Besides, my car heater, in the current climate, pretty much barely works, since the car is also very cold.

Speaking of which, have to go put new plugs in the car.

Later.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
It's been unseasonally warm. Tonight, and yesterday it was pretty cold. 34 and supposed to rain today.

CougTek

Serial computer killer
Well Santilli has been going nuts for nothing. It's officially been the fourth warmest Winter in the history of the United States and only the state of New Mexico has had colder than average temperatures. It means San Francisco has been warmer than average. Give your excuses to Al Gore ; we are still on an uphill trend.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Judging from the map, I get cold air from Mt. Diablo, and it blows down into this valley. Tends to be 10 degrees colder up there, when the station is working, and it blows towards the ocean, to a another station, Leary. I'm inbetween the two.
DD posted the two days it was near freezing here.

Not good for grapes.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
50 cold and wet all day. Week of rain. It's going for the mid to low 30's tonight, again.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
REALLY cold. 30 mile an hour wind howling off the ocean, bringing a moist, cold penetrating feel to the house. My feet really feel it.

ddrueding

Fixture
It is very cold and wet out there, so bad that I cancelled my bike ride. But the house is air/moisture/sound-tight, so we can just watch it through the windows.

CougTek

Serial computer killer
REALLY cold. 30 mile an hour wind howling off the ocean, bringing a moist, cold penetrating feel to the house. My feet really feel it.
Just pay a visit to Dave. He said it's warm in his house. I'm sure there's also beer in his fridge and that his couch is comfortable. Bring the cat if you feel it'll be lonely. ;-)

ddrueding

Fixture
No beer, but one of the couches is nice. The projector is down, but the guest suite has a 42" LED-LCD. Bring the cat ;)

This place will be much warmer once we have a heater installed, but even now I just turn on some more of the 75w halogen cans to make it nice and toasty.

LunarMist

OMG, stop being wimps. :) It's not that cold just because we got some well-deserved rain the past few days. Spend three winters in Switzerland and Germany as I did when stationed there and you can feel some cold.

ddrueding

Fixture
I spent a winter in Boston and New York, and a month at altitude in the Himalayas. I've also been punched really hard by someone bigger than I. I know real cold, but that doesn't mean anything less than that (being punched really hard by someone my size) doesn't suck.

LunarMist

It will be OK unless Cougtek punches you after having a bad RMA experience. Then you would really be suffering.

CougTek

Serial computer killer
I've also been punched really hard by someone bigger than I.

Aren't you 6'3" and used to weight ~230lbs? Bigger than you? Who was he, one of the Klistchko brothers?

As for my punching power, I know I have some, but I don't know how great it is. What makes me fierce isn't my punching power alone, it's the fact that I don't stop punching even when I'm obviously no longer being threaten by my opponent.

Speaking of the Himalayas...how much does it cost to go there during Winter? I'd be more interested in the four Pakistan +8000m peaks than the Nepal summits. Assuming someone isn't being kidnapped by the myriad of small terrorists groups out there, what amount of money would be needed to stay there 3 or 4 weeks during Winter?

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
If I hadn't spent 3 grand to have my nose fixed, I might be willing to get in the ring with you folks;-) In my prime, I hit harder then the world welterweight title holder, Milton McCrory, but no where near as hard as Thomas Hearns. I used to pound on pro light-welterweights for fun. Guys like 32-2, from the Phillipines. Likewise, I've been knocked down, and out, by some of the best heavyweight boxers, and kick boxers, in the world. I've also held my own.

I used to love sparring these guys with records like that. I weighed 175, looked like, and was, a surfer, and, they figured they could try and knock me out. They'd get in a couple shots, then I'd go Marciano on them. I would load every punch, hit them as hard as I could, in their arms.
As they flew backwards, or fell, they found it rather difficult to punch. That's usually when their trainers threw in the towel, and thanked me for not hurting their fighters.
By the way, even at my advanced age, I still make the speed bag jump like I'm a welterweight...

And David, the couch sounds nice, and no one has ever invited my cat down.;-0) Thank you!.

Just did three basketball games, with a bunch of talkers. Worst the D2 team, from Holy Names, alumni.
Enjoying a couple beers, and my cat is cleaning herself on my desktop. The buckling spring keyboard, even with the condom, is awesome. Live is good.

CougTek

Serial computer killer
Thanks to me, you'll know you'll have to bring your own beer when you'll visit him.

You have cat toilet paper on your desktop?

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Yes, she's licking her ass...;-)

By the way, your comments on my grammar is missing that I use ambiguous references to add to the depth of my posts. You might also miss that I may be aware of what the proper term is, and then use one that gives credence to
what I'm really thinking. Hence then might indicate a reference to an older system, like nearly 12 years, when comparing to something newer.

Perhaps subtle English/American terms, slang, are difficult to translate, or understand.

I have a very hard time understanding the subtle English humor used in Top Gear, for example.

David, the cat just got done eating curried rice...;-0 WTH?

ddrueding

Fixture
Aren't you 6'3" and used to weight ~230lbs? Bigger than you? Who was he, one of the Klistchko brothers?

I am 6'3". Now considerably more in shape and only 200lbs (it ballooned to nearly 250lbs before I got it under control). Mostly in the legs, though. I know a number of people who are taller/bigger than I. Two of them are 6'6"+ and 250-280lbs in decent shape.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Move to Nanakuli. There are some races that 'small' is 270. Knuckle dragging means when driving a Toyota truck with some folks...

My current mat. person loves coming over so he can use my 300 pound scale...