Ryzen

sedrosken

Florida Man
Website
sedrosken.xyz
I still think the 5500 is fairly cromulent for most uses, but then, I'm not doing huge data crunching or media editing. I use mine in my server but that's just because I saw the 5700X going for cheap and wanted to kick something with a Zen 3 memory controller into my server -- at this point, I'm not sure why, because it didn't really work out anyway -- otherwise I'd still be gladly using the 5500 in my main machine. Just about the most intensive things I do are emulation (86Box/PCem are HEAVY) and compilation, and both of those are handled fine.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
I still think the 5500 is fairly cromulent for most uses, but then, I'm not doing huge data crunching or media editing. I use mine in my server but that's just because I saw the 5700X going for cheap and wanted to kick something with a Zen 3 memory controller into my server -- at this point, I'm not sure why, because it didn't really work out anyway -- otherwise I'd still be gladly using the 5500 in my main machine. Just about the most intensive things I do are emulation (86Box/PCem are HEAVY) and compilation, and both of those are handled fine.
Great word use! Had to look up cromulent!!
The most this machine is going to do is output to a 55" TV Hulu. Rest of it is word processing, or really old games, like Oregon Trail.
My SO is math and computer retarded. She did pass the Calbar, though. She's not dumb. Just retarded in computer and math;-)
I'm going to make this new, and keep her happy, so she doesn't get super upset when she finds out what I have in my machine.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Why would you put a $500 RTX 4070 in that system? The 5700G has more than adequate graphics for 4K TV for less than a $100 more than the Ryzen 5500.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Those U series are low power laptop CPUs. I thought you were building a small desktop system.
The Ryzen 5 5500 is for the AM4 socket and has NO functional GPU. The AMD 5000 series has no GPU by default, which is why they developed the 5xxxG (graphics) series with an iGPU (AMD's term is APU). AMD added an iGPU to the 7000 series I/O chiplet so they all have some level of GPU.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Thanks. Was wondering about that.
Looks like I'll stick with the 1060.
Should be ok for her stuff...
I assumed, and look at what it did for me, that the 5500 had a gpu, since the motherboard has an HDMI out...

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Ok. I thought the 5500 had a gpu. My bad. I see no reason now not to spend the extra bucks. 80 bucks for an onboard gpu, if it's as good as they say, is a great idea, since the only graphics card I have might die soon. It is rather old. Just ordered the

AMD Ryzen 7 5700G 8-Core, 16-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor with Radeon Graphics for 164.00 with Wraith cooler.​

Return the 5500, and the RD-15, and I'm about 50 bucks richer.

Those U series are low power laptop CPUs. I thought you were building a small desktop system.
The Ryzen 5 5500 is for the AM4 socket and has NO functional GPU. The AMD 5000 series has no GPU by default, which is why they developed the 5xxxG (graphics) series with an iGPU (AMD's term is APU). AMD added an iGPU to the 7000 series I/O chiplet so they all have some level of GPU.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Thank you!!!