Something Random

ddrueding

Fixture
A combination of a faulty old breaker and a faulty old borrowed tool led to me getting electrical burns on my fingers a few minutes ago. I'm not happy. It also destroyed by new extension cord (vaporized the prong).

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Wow. Not good. :eekers:

I assume you don't want to upgrade the power box until you've finished the wiring, so I'd strongly recommend you rush out and get a portable GFCI box.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Bah, you're still able to type so it's only a superficial wound. You'll live.

Break that breaker. Show that f**ker who the boss is.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
This is a fun captcha I haven't seen before!

This is from a technical support forum, a new especially hard captcha every time you post. Took me an average of four tries to post a simple reply, some of the worst ones here.

captcha.png

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
This is from a technical support forum, a new especially hard captcha every time you post. Took me an average of four tries to post a simple reply, some of the worst ones here.

captcha.png

I have a terrible time reading those things. I like the ones with math problems more.

ddrueding

Fixture
Wow. Not good. :eekers:

I assume you don't want to upgrade the power box until you've finished the wiring, so I'd strongly recommend you rush out and get a portable GFCI box.

Way ahead of you. Already replaced the breakers I'm using in the old box with GFCI, repaired (or should I say, installed) the grounding system, repaired the tool, and repaired the extension cord.

Bah, you're still able to type so it's only a superficial wound. You'll live.

Break that breaker. Show that f**ker who the boss is.

Other than blackened fingers with little blisters, I'm fine. The breaker is already quite broken. The corrosion inside is pretty apparent.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
May get taken down again ...

My reaction to the video was: Whimper

I was particularly shocked when after idly observing the small bolts protruding from a pipe, the realization dawned that he was about to climb them!

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I would feel considerably more comfortable at that height with a hangglider or parachute than with a 30lb toolbag attached to me.

Holding a running gas chainsaw is even worse. I've done this before while up in a tree on an extension ladder.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
3 flights of stairs are as much as I would voluntarily climb. Towers are for the healthy pros.

paugie

Storage is cool
I watched that one Saturday. Had the same reaction as mubs.
Funny, though, I was expecting the whole thing to waver or sway. Seemed like the upper part was very flimsy.

Stereodude

Not really a
There was a very cool episode of World's Toughest Fixes where they had to replace the antenna on top of a 2000 foot tower. They actually had to make their own crane attached to the side of the tower at the top in order to remove the old antenna and bring up the new one. link

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
There was a very cool episode of World's Toughest Fixes where they had to replace the antenna on top of a 2000 foot tower. They actually had to make their own crane attached to the side of the tower at the top in order to remove the old antenna and bring up the new one. link

Why didn't they design it to be serviceable?

Stereodude

Not really a
I'm pretty sure that is the serviceable design. :bomb:

It was really quite a fascinating episode. Sean Riley got to free climb down the outside of the tower with the rope/cable used to pull up the larger cable used for the actual lifting.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!

That was probably the 'crane' that installed the antenna when the tower was built. Usually 'one off' or custom construction equipment is stored in case it is needed again.
We still have the custom crane section that was used to install two 4000 HP motors 30+ years ago. (it is stored at the crane company that installed the motors)

Stereodude

Not really a
So my "new" work laptop is a well used Dell Latitude D610 with a Pentium M 1.86gHz with 2GB of RAM. I didn't check how big the hard drive is. I'm hoping it's only a temporary machine, but being that today was my first day I didn't see the need to crap all over it and be too demanding.

ddrueding

Fixture
So my "new" work laptop is a well used Dell Latitude D610 with a Pentium M 1.86gHz with 2GB of RAM. I didn't check how big the hard drive is. I'm hoping it's only a temporary machine, but being that today was my first day I didn't see the need to crap all over it and be too demanding.

Look on the bright side. If you need a serial port, it has one!

time

Storage? I am Storage!
That's similar to how the Oz distributor used to pack IBM and Seagate drives in the old days (more tightly in bulk, obviously). Not sure why retailers thought that drives had toughened up enough to cut corners ...