Something Random

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Never mind. I restore images so frequently that somehow my current XP32 one is lacking the last daylight savings fix. The XP64 one is correct. I booted into each OS a few times today and the time software updated the system clock each time. ;)

I do have one system with Win2K, but have not bothered to check the clock. I don't save any files from that system so it is not important.

ddrueding

Fixture
Slightly more. Everyone has it, the numbers are fairly consistent, and do seem to be meaningful in the 1.0-4.0 range (appreciable difference).

LOST6200

Storage is cool
sO whao,m WFT is happenning hERe as fo late?? Mercurio is ging to get some finnaly? :mrgrn: UDAMn crazier than erver? wI<LSOn has be quite ; not many psots. Kevin cLOker MIA ans so forth asn so on,

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Dragon Age is really cool. I honestly wouldn't have bought it if I didn't see reviews that mentioned Baldur's Gate 2 over and over, but it really is that good.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
USB Missile Launcher

I finally got off my arse, and wrote a client application that runs on Sun Solaris 10 for those USB Missile Launchers that you can get from thinkgeek. ( http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/warfare/8a0f/ ). I've only had it for approx 12mths...

Took approx 2 days to get a working solution (eg the launcher moves and fires the missiles), now just need to polish the UI.

Once done, I'll upload it to my personal website...

PS. I know there are already a few FOSS clients, but they all need a bazillion dependencies, I just wanted something that works out-of-the-box with no hacking on my part...

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
I finally got off my arse, and wrote a client application that runs on Sun Solaris 10 for those USB Missile Launchers that you can get from thinkgeek. ( http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/warfare/8a0f/ ). I've only had it for approx 12mths...

Took approx 2 days to get a working solution (eg the launcher moves and fires the missiles), now just need to polish the UI.

Once done, I'll upload it to my personal website...

PS. I know there are already a few FOSS clients, but they all need a bazillion dependencies, I just wanted something that works out-of-the-box with no hacking on my part...

I've uploaded it to: http://chewy509.110mb.com for those that are interested, listed under fun stuff. (Screenshot on the website).

Mercutio

I haven't played with Solaris in years. I keep thinking I should, if for no other reason than ZFS, but it's a pretty low priority right now.

I do have a USB missile launcher, though.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Superb article. Thanks for sharing.

So if I understood that right over litigation leads to defensive over testing to back up opinions in defense of being sued and those two things add up to a ton of extra money in healthcare? Now not that I am reading up on things at all but isn't there some caps being constructed on the liability side? I can see something like that bringing both of these factors down.

Stereodude

Not really a
Ironically (or perhaps not), the bill the House passed penalizes states if they have any sort of limits on legal fees or caps on damages. link

time

Storage? I am Storage!
So if I understood that right over litigation leads to defensive over testing to back up opinions in defense of being sued and those two things add up to a ton of extra money in healthcare? Now not that I am reading up on things at all but isn't there some caps being constructed on the liability side? I can see something like that bringing both of these factors down.

You didn't read the article? That was a proposition made by one of the doctors interviewed, but refuted by another, as well as by the evidence.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I did and the article seemed to suggest greed as the root cause and running health care for profit leading to all the over testing, doing more expensive testing and doctors branching out so they can do your own testing so they can bill for it. I rather agree with that because there is greed out there but I don't think it is the only reason, you can have good doctors take suit a couple times then they always have that nagging hanging over the next opinion and can travel down that overtesting road too for entirely different reasons.

I certainly don't have a solution to it but the article does spotlight some places that are doing a good job of keeping costs down while providing excellent care.

ddrueding

Fixture
Grado headphones. I've heard that they are good, so I decided to pick up a pair with my last order from B&H. The only one they carry is the iGrado, their low-end, but it has the same driver as the next one up.

Conclusion? These are the best headphones I've ever heard, but they have the cheapest, least comfortable, completely nonadjustable headband and shortest cord I've ever seen. What a piece of crap. I've never had something be both so good and so bad all at once. Now of course, I'm compelled to buy a more expensive product from them because their product is crap. What a conundrum.

Handruin

Administrator
I have a pair of the Grado SR60 from a few years back and they are the best headphones I've heard (for my budget). The SR60i looks to be about the same with regards to design, but I'm only judging from the picture online. They fit ok on my head and I don't really have any complaints.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Volume Discounts

>$5,000,000—5%, >$10,000,000—7%, >$15,000,000—10%

Is that a normal deal?

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I've discovered recently that my physical stamina is greater than my mental stamina. I've worked 70-80 hours weeks for the past month and a half and my mind no longer seems to be there. I did 80 hours weeks in physical jobs for much longer stretch without losing the edge. Unless age is starting to get the best of me.

Today, I've been swearing against an Acer P.O.S. because Vista refused to activate with the license from the sticker on the side of the box. I wasted half-an-hour figuring out why before I finally woke up and notice the calendar was set back to 2006. Calvert de Calice. I usually install with a media that has SLP activation on it for OEM boxes. For no particular reason, I didn't this afternoon. At least it was useful to point out how burn out I apparently am.

I'll keep that beat at least another 6 weeks and we'll see how the situation evolves in 2010.

Mercutio

80 hours is not abnormal for me, though it comes and goes. Breaks for forum posting and finding new naked women on the internet do wonders for my acuity.

ddrueding

Fixture
I've been at 80+ for about 14 months now. It helps that I have a very short walk home and back, so I don't need to worry about being safe to drive. I start every day with a panic phone call from someone and go until I hit the "doing more harm than good" stage, hopefully I recognize that before too much damage is done and go home.

Forum breaks and a driving simulator keep me going (one lap of the Nürburgring is enough for another couple hours work)

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I only take breaks in the evening and during the night. From 9h30 to 18h00, I don't have any leisure time except when I take a short walk or drive to take my lunch. Thinking about it, I should switch my concentration to something else more often during the day. I'll try, starting tomorrow.

ddrueding

Fixture
Speaking of, now is the time. I just stopped myself from doing something very stupid. Shame it took this long (2AM), I have an appointment in 6.5 hours.

paugie

Storage is cool
I also have a Grado SR60, had it for a year now. They have a nicely balanced sound. Only problem is they are indoor phones. No use listening to them in a noisy environment.
Ah, yes, after an hour, my ears tend to heat up. Of course, it's hot here.