Something Random

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
IIRC from my military days, a physically fit and well feed person can survive at high performance levels on only 4 hours per night for a maximum of 5 days. After which, there is a rapid loss of performance (primarily mental), at which after 10-14 days of only 4hrs sleep, the person is basically a zombie... ;P Hence even the military recommends a minimum of 6-8 hours per day depending on workload at the time.
I remember doing that from my high school and college days. Monday through Thursday nights usually ended up being a few hours sleep but I caught up on sleep over the weekend. Nowadays I find I need at least 9 or 10 hours to feel relatively normal, although some of that might be depression related or stress related. Too much going on this year with my mother being hospitalized in February, several weather-related floods/power outages, the cat dying recently (and now one of the other cats is very sick), ongoing financial problems (student loan was illegally put into default), etc. The new pc has been about the only bright spot in my year.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I streamed it on a Windows XP system that still let me record the stereo mix, something that does not seem to be present on newer versions of Windows.
Unfortunately, I forgot to disable system sounds so there are random beeps in my recording from having my email client open.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
The election went relatively well from my point of view. Mourdock and Akin were both (deservedly) defeated and Maryland and Washington state voters affirmed that gay people have rights after all. The thing that would have had me dancing in the streets, though, was the Bachmann-Graves race in Minnesota's Sixth Congressional District, which by all accounts is gerrymandered to be the safest Republican seat in the state. She won by only hundreds of votes. Michelle Bachmann is a ranting loony in desperate need of prescription medication and some electroshock therapy and I have to say that I'm disappointed that she'll be returning to Congress.

I noticed a major decrease in the political adverts lately. There must be some connection.

Mercutio

Do you leave Windows sounds on? :( I find them horribly annoying.

I do, because I'm not necessarily paying attention to any one particular machine that might want to beep at me.
Also I think it's hilarious to hear how my new email notification echos through my environment as different computers and devices receive it. It's particularly funny if I have six or seven mobile devices in the same room.

ddrueding

Fixture
While I'm sure Merc has more, this is a decent amount of storage for a house. Still populating the larger network share from elsewhere, might be a few days.
Storage.png

Mercutio

My big store is 54TB, but I have a second setup that's 52TB (mostly those stupid WD green drives) and another 24TB sitting on a system that's in my office. I also have a dozen 1TB, eight 1.5TB 7200rpm, six 2TB 5400rpm and two 4TB drives that are basically my spare drive pool.

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
Listening to it now. Any idea how I can rip the stream? I didn't see a thing in Firebug's network tab or Chrome's network tab.
Use Kazam
- set the "region" of the desktop
- use mp4 codec .... webm option doesn't do (bug) region for some reason for me, whereas the former is capable of both (entire and region)
- set it on 2 frames per sec -- garanteed to catch the correct elapsed time
- set audio to appropriate "monitor of ... "
- set the countdown
- press play on webpage
- when complete, stop recording, save file for later.

(I had to add some gstreamer plugin (I don't remember which one off hand, but can easily find out from installation log) for the mp4 to work)

LunarMist

Merc has stated that he has the massive quantities of certain materials :eek:, but what do you need all that storage for, home videos?

ddrueding

Fixture
Merc has stated that he has the massive quantities of certain materials :eek:, but what do you need all that storage for, home videos?

Home theater stuff mostly, 3D BlueRay disks are 50GB+ each, and a 60,000+ song music collection. Plus I keep encrypted backups of my client's data (I don't know the key, but I keep the data). Since the space is there, I also keep every RAW image I've ever taken sorted by date and shoot. With sub-folders for "keepers" and finished pictures.

Mercutio

The point of having the vast pool of disk space is to have something that is unfillable in the short term. It's not uncommon for me to add 30GB of new data in a day.

LunarMist

Well of course with HD it is easy to fill a 64 or even 128GB card in a day.

LunarMist

How can I secure erase the modern harden drive? Is that function only in SSDs?

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Secure Erase is part of the SATA specification, but alas only a few drives support it correctly. (It's available on both HDDs and SSDs, but it's up to vendors to actually implement and support it correctly).

Mercutio

I have a new hobby: Finding completely weird, funny songs for my friend to strip to.

Today's winner:

[video=youtube;-qTIGg3I5y8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qTIGg3I5y8[/video]

LunarMist

Secure Erase is part of the SATA specification, but alas only a few drives support it correctly. (It's available on both HDDs and SSDs, but it's up to vendors to actually implement and support it correctly).

Meh. You'd think it would be mandatory by now. Oh well.

Mercutio

Youtube captures Cougtek's morning breakfast ritual. ;)

[video=youtube;C2s0aOhkjmY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2s0aOhkjmY&list=UUfLGZs8bSDbkNJjCRIE7NSg&index=25&feature=plcp[/video]

Mercutio

The important thing to understand is that the Cougtek prepares all his preyfood through a combination of punches and bicep squeezes.

LunarMist

I don't know about Sweden. Perhaps it is explained in the video that won't play for me. :(

Somehow I thought Coug was French. :dunno:

Handruin

Administrator
I hear ya. I have about 12 years worth of crap in my cube at work. I got rid of a bunch of it when we moved builds a couple years back but some if it just never goes away.

ddrueding

Fixture
Anything worth selling off in the for-sale section?

I'm thinking about it. Though it would probably go in lots, something like "12 video cards, GTX580 and lower, no guarantee to functionality" or "12 Hard Drives under 1TB, no guarantee to functionality". Think anyone would be interested?

Handruin

Administrator
I'm thinking about it. Though it would probably go in lots, something like "12 video cards, GTX580 and lower, no guarantee to functionality" or "12 Hard Drives under 1TB, no guarantee to functionality". Think anyone would be interested?

It's at least worth a post and a price to see if anyone would bite. I'm imagining the video cards would be out of my budget for that quantity but maybe the 1TB drives if the price is right.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
I'm willing to upgrade my 5x folding video cards from GTX 460's but they need to be quite inexpensive for me to justify it.

Mercutio

You know I'm always looking for hard drives. Especially little ones.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
I've got a 10GB Maxtor and a 20GB Quantum Fireball if you're interested, Merc.

I know Tannin collects these for his HDD museum, and I PMed him many, many full moons ago, but never heard back from him. He must still be wandering in the remote parts of his land.

Mercutio

Nah. I'm looking for drives that are between 160GB and 500GB for all the repair work crap I have. Thanks though. :)

Speaking of, does anyone know of a place to get 3.5" USB to SATA enclosures? Seems like everyplace wants $20 or them and I'm thinking more like $10.