Something Random

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
Assuming you're using Chrome, have you tried a third browser?

Had something like this recently but eventually figured out how to nuke the browser memory - sorry, I can't remember either ... Must have been MIB.

I was using Firefox 33 and have updated to 34 and still have the same problem with Newegg re-directs to this page.

I tried signing up for the newsletter, which I already receive. And clicked the "letest email deal" button as well. Going to try to wipe all cookies then allow all cookies to see it re-direct goes away.

I can't be the only one who get these redirects...........well with my luck I probably am the only one.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
I did have some weirdness on Newegg earlier in the week where the search function didn't seem to be working right, but it's fine now. I assumed at the time it was load due to massive amounts of e-commerce things.

I've had that problem as well in the past, but this doesn't seem "slow server" related as I get instantly re-directed. WTF! I actually want to buy some crap but I keep getting re-directed. Sigh.

Maybe we could take up a round of donations to get our most junior member some decent hardware. My or (especially) dd's spare parts collection would probably be the stuff sed's dreams are made of.

I'm In. I was thinking the same thing last night. Figure out what spare parts you don't have, or parts that Sed will need then we can buy parts and ship? Or? Regardless I'm in.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I won't contribute this time. Not that I think Sedrosken is not a nice young member, but I believe donating him a new computer will partially deprive him of the earning concept of ownership. Handruin's and JTR's donations were different stories. One is the maintainer of the site and spent countless hours making sure we have a place to share. The other one is a guy in his fifties, with a partial disability with his hands and who has worked quite hard on several projects for various forum members, probably at a lost if you would factor in the amount of time he's spent on it compared to what he probably charged and knowing the guy's pride and perfectionism.

Sedrosken is in a different situation. He seems to have it hard, but that should change in a few years when he'll be on his own. Besides, someone gave him a laptop recently IIRC. That person probably gave him the best he/she could afford. Shipping him a new system so soon after he's got a new one would kind of send the message "nice try, but not good enough". That's probably not what you intend to achieve.

I'm all for the "taking care of each others" principle of this community, but in this case, I think we try to push the "easy button" a bit too early.

Last edited:

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
She's not in pain, not that I can tell. She's never liked being picked up and carried, but now she just meekly accepts when I put her back in her spot on my bed. She's hiding rather than staying in accustomed places, which is what cats do when they get near their end. She's had a fatty tumor on her belly most of her life, but it's changed in shape and consistency, and I suspect she might have progressed to something fully cancerous.

I feed her entirely wet food now, because I think that she likes that, and I've set one of the pillows and the blanket I kept on top of my bed in her hiding place in my closet. She's not so ill that she doesn't recognize me. I guess that's what I'm waiting for. For now at least she's comfortable.

What is the status now? Is she improving?

Stereodude

Not really a
How much will it cost for an extra 4GB?
A SSD may benefit him more than 8GB of RAM. I can't be completely sure though. I still use several computers that only have 4gB of RAM regularly and they're not really any slower than the ones with 16gB for any normal use.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I'm all for the "taking care of each others" principle of this community, but in this case, I think we try to push the "easy button" a bit too early.

I'm not suggesting anything elaborate, but by all indications sed's family isn't exactly filled with technophiles with high awareness of his interests. A little encouragement could go a long way. Another thought, if physical parts might be seen by some as detrimental, might be a udemy course or something.

And yeah, the SSD would be a bigger help than the RAM.

LunarMist said:
What is the status now? Is she improving?

I actually took her to the vet last week, for what I thought would be the last time. After I described the behavior change, the vet said euthanization was probably in order, but then she felt my cat's neck. She has a massively enlarged thyroid, which it turns out is the one thing that could cause all of her problems and is actually treatable. There was a blood test and sure enough, that's what's wrong. She has to take pills for the rest of her life, and there's still a question of how much of her behavior might be habituated.

sedrosken

Florida Man
Website
sedrosken.xyz
I'm afraid to ask why you need 20 tabs open at one time. :)

Not at all what you're thinking, probably. My browser is where my ADHD really shows. I'm using FF 34. It's the king of lesser RAM usage, in my experience. As of right now, I have 23 tabs open, using 467.0MB RAM according to Task Manager. With Chrome I'm pretty sure I'd be using almost 2 GB.

I'm currently figuring out the RAM. Opened up my back panel to find I only have 1 DIMM slot, but at this point it's not surprising, even though Task Manager reports two. Maybe I need to crack open the top panel and screw around with the keyboard? I remember the Latitude had a slot hiding under the keyboard, but it's just so thin on this thing that I doubt there's anything of note under there. I'll check, though, and hopefully I do have two slots. My max either way is 8 GB, but with 2 slots I can do dual channel and the upgrade will be far cheaper.

My laptop's bottom panel snaps clean out when you take out the screws. I like it. I get access to everything at once. But on the other hand, if I crack the thing I'm screwed.

I have to agree with Coug -- I have it far better than many, and I'm actively working on improving my situation. I should be out on my own sometime next year, which, considering I'll still be a minor (I'll be attending Ferris State University -- hopefully) will be really fun to figure out. They might waive the whole "having to stay on campus the first year" because I'll be a minor, but even if they do I'll still be staying on campus. I love my family, really I do, but it's about time I finally get some time to myself in which I can complete my assignments in peace. I'd honestly rather stay in a dorm than at home, is that bad? Not only that, but campus is over an hour away from home, and I am not going to make that commute twice a day without an income to support it.

I'll most likely be getting a part time job around then, and while I will be prioritizing food and toiletries, I will also be socking some away in preparation for Christmas shopping/emergencies. I'll just take some out of that if I have to. Although I think that once I've taken this to its max it'll take me the rest of the way through my education without an issue.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
I'm currently figuring out the RAM. Opened up my back panel to find I only have 1 DIMM slot
@sed, according to Kingston, the C55-B5298/B5299 only has 1 DIMM slot... (You can use their memory finder tool to look up via laptop model number and it'll tell you how many DIMM slots there are).

sedrosken

Florida Man
Website
sedrosken.xyz
Nope. If it was, there wouldn't be a filled DIMM slot and it wouldn't be reporting only one slot as filled. Maybe there's an artifact for a slot on the other side of the board? I dunno. I'm completely baffled. Never had this happen on anything I've had.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
I actually took her to the vet last week, for what I thought would be the last time. After I described the behavior change, the vet said euthanization was probably in order, but then she felt my cat's neck. She has a massively enlarged thyroid, which it turns out is the one thing that could cause all of her problems and is actually treatable. There was a blood test and sure enough, that's what's wrong. She has to take pills for the rest of her life, and there's still a question of how much of her behavior might be habituated.
One of my cats had a thyroid issue. I thought was going to die. After the blood test came back the vet prescribed tapazole. It was a real pain getting her to take the pills. She would notice them in food and spit them out. I finally hit on putting them inside a piece of cheddar cheese. I think she was ten when the disorder occurred. She lasted another five years. I wrote a thread in her memory some years back. Here is the link if anyone is interested. Given that your cat is already fifteen, she might live the remainder of a normal cat lifespan, perhaps even 5+ years if you're really lucky.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Nope. If it was, there wouldn't be a filled DIMM slot and it wouldn't be reporting only one slot as filled. Maybe there's an artifact for a slot on the other side of the board? I dunno. I'm completely baffled. Never had this happen on anything I've had.
The CPU you have (IIRC formally called BayTrail and is a Silvermont core) has 2 DIMMs channels available via the IMC (integrated memory controller), but there is only 1 physical DIMM slot connected, which Windows doesn't seem to be able to determine correctly. This is either a bug in the UEFI not reporting DIMM layout correctly, or Windows not reading those values correctly or at all, and is assuming based solely on the CPU capabilities itself.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
I was just reading through the Java JRE/JDK license and in accordance with the license, the JRE/JDK is bound by US export laws (as one would expect since the JRE/JDK includes cryptogrpahics based components)... The Oracle Export Regulations document ( http://www.oracle.com/us/products/export/export-regulations-345813.html ) says, that the Oracles products as bound are not to be exported/reexported to the following:

Any customer you know or have reason to know, who is involved in the design, development, manufacture or production of nuclear technology, or nuclear, biological or chemical "weapons of mass destruction."
Doesn't that mean that the JRE/JDK can't be exported to or used by the US, Russian, French, UK and a host of other nations governments since they all have nuclear capability and actively (either overtly or covertly) manufacture and produce a range of NBC weapons?

Sorry, just though it was an amusing thought...

Mercutio

One suspects those entities license things in a different fashion.

jtr said:
One of my cats had a thyroid issue. I thought was going to die. After the blood test came back the vet prescribed tapazole. It was a real pain getting her to take the pills. She would notice them in food and spit them out.

My cats have an daily event called Cheese Time that happens when I come home from work or around 6PM if I didn't go anywhere. They all know when 6PM is, and even if they don't all run to the kitchen, they at least quit hiding and remind me that it's time for their treat. So I already have a good routine in place for pill-giving that seems to work pretty well. Gracie's usually pretty disagreeable but also a dainty eater; she'll just chew around the pill if she notices, so for me it's just easier to wrestle the pill into her mouth and hold her jaw closed. Once the trauma is out of the way, cheese time is a go. She makes these extra special Satan noises while this happens that I should probably get on video at some point.

Stereodude

Not really a
The cheap universal fit ones. Not the ones they sell now (600S), but some previous iteration in the $400 range. Had them for years.
It's hard to say how they would compare. I haven't heard either. Everyone has different tastes. I'm in on the campaign myself. Mostly based on the feedback of the custom version of the Supra, the EP-2. link.

He's supposed to have a review of the Supra up in a few days.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
182lbs. today. Not bad.

Sweet jesus, That's awesome. I once got down to 175 lbs once, but that was 20 years ago.

180 is my target. I'm 70lbs away at the moment. Congratulations.

I'm 5'10", 175 lbs would be a dream weight, 185 is a realistic goal for me. I've been 208-212 lbs for the past 15 years and since im getting into late 40s I need to "get going" before it's too late.

I never thought the time would come that you weigh less than me but it has. Congratulations are in order. Right now I'm hovering in the low 200s. I'd like to lose about 60 to 70 pounds.

So mid 130-140 lbs? That seems low, unless you are 5'3" tall.

ddrueding

Fixture
I'm 5'10", 175 lbs would be a dream weight, 185 is a realistic goal for me. I've been 208-212 lbs for the past 15 years and since im getting into late 40s I need to "get going" before it's too late.

I'm 6'3", so it should be an entirely achievable goal. But I've spent less than 5% of my adult life within 10% of it. Something to work on. Merc seems to be nailing it.

sedrosken

Florida Man
Website
sedrosken.xyz
I'm somewhere around 180 at about 5'9". I've never really worried about my weight, except for that short stretch of time where I was almost "dangerously" underweight. I finally broke 100 lbs. at age 12.

Mercutio

I'm somewhere around 180 at about 5'9". I've never really worried about my weight, except for that short stretch of time where I was almost "dangerously" underweight. I finally broke 100 lbs. at age 12.

For comparison, I was probably 200lbs. when I was 12 and a few years ago I was wearing pants with a 56" waist.
I need to get more serious about weight training. For some reason it's a lot easier for me to find the motivation to spend 75 minutes on an elliptical than 20 minutes with a dumbbell.

ddrueding

Fixture
Fan just quit on one of my original Titans. Card runs fine so long as I don't load it up and keep the airflow going, but that is not optimal. Am I reading it right that the current nVidia Badass is the Titan Z? I'll be getting an aftermarket cooler for the Titan (suggestions welcome), but could use some more horsepower for the 4k screen.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
I'm 5'9". My brother is actually around 140, same height as me, and he doesn't seem overly thin.

When I was 175# I had a 32" waist and seemed tiny. But I guess with everybody so fat here in 'merica 140# seems light.

I'm 6'3", so it should be an entirely achievable goal. But I've spent less than 5% of my adult life within 10% of it. Something to work on. Merc seems to be nailing it.

There are a million different things you can do/try but only a few will work for you. And those are different from what will work for me or anybody else. Just don't let time slip away. I'm upper 40s now and have been very inactive the last 8-9 years. And it's a negative feedback loop. Don't move, feel tired, get fat, move less, more tired, move less, etc, etc. I've realized that myself recently and have slowly started to start walking again.

Fan just quit on one of my original Titans. Card runs fine so long as I don't load it up and keep the airflow going, but that is not optimal. Am I reading it right that the current nVidia Badass is the Titan Z? I'll be getting an aftermarket cooler for the Titan (suggestions welcome), but could use some more horsepower for the 4k screen.

AFAIK the Titan Z is just two Titan Blacks on the same card with lower clocks and $1600. Two 980s in SLI would be faster and cheaper. The 990 will probably come out early next year if you require a one card solution.

As far as the fan on your Titan goes........I want to cover my ears and not hear that bad news. I have an original Titan as well so I hope my fan doesn't go tits up. I modified my fan profile to be flat with fan at 35% till temps hit 60c, then 40%@65C, 70%@76c and 100%@79c. Want to keep temps under 80c so card doesn't throttle. My NOT-O/C card auto-boasts up to 1045 MHz so I'm happy. Most of the fans life as been at 35%.

ddrueding

Fixture
I've ordered a replacement cooling system (arctic closed circuit water something) after seeing the prices on those faster cards. Until then I'll run a couple R9 290X I still have kicking around.

Handruin

Administrator
I've ordered a replacement cooling system (arctic closed circuit water something) after seeing the prices on those faster cards. Until then I'll run a couple R9 290X I still have kicking around.

I run my R9 290Xs with the fans at 90% (in my basement)...they are so fucking loud, but the cores stay around 72C vs the ridiculous 90C. Did you stop mining with them?

ddrueding

Fixture
I run my R9 290Xs with the fans at 90% (in my basement)...they are so fucking loud, but the cores stay around 72C vs the ridiculous 90C. Did you stop mining with them?

Having a gaming rig at home is more important than mining ;) When I get the Titan running again I'll switch back.