SSDs - State of the Product?

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
New sandforce looks to be a beast after they get some stuff worked out.

Which should be about August for the OCD. Or you can buy one in March and after it fails in April, wait until August for the replacement to arrive. :lol:

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Despite the constant promotion during the review, why on earth would anyone bother with it? It under-performs all Sandforce and Corsair on SATA 2, needing SATA 3 to open up any advantage. Even then, it fails to impress on some key benchmarks such as 'database'. :roll:

I'd like to believe in a manufacturer that overcharges while using a rival's controller and is in the middle of an absolute pig of a recall on nearly all their current chipsets, but for some reason I feel the need for a bit more reassurance.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Has anyone put the host operating system and the guest operating system on an SSD? (using VirtualBox)

Handruin

Administrator
Despite the constant promotion during the review, why on earth would anyone bother with it? It under-performs all Sandforce and Corsair on SATA 2, needing SATA 3 to open up any advantage. Even then, it fails to impress on some key benchmarks such as 'database'. :roll:

I'd like to believe in a manufacturer that overcharges while using a rival's controller and is in the middle of an absolute pig of a recall on nearly all their current chipsets, but for some reason I feel the need for a bit more reassurance.

The Intel drive is a disappointment to me. Who's next to offer their next generation SSD? I like the SandForce offering in the OCZ Vertex 3, but I'm not sold on OCZ as a distributor.

Stereodude

Not really a
It does surprise me a little that Intel didn't make a 2nd generation controller, or if they did it wasn't good enough to make the cut. What exactly are they bringing to the table other than the Intel name cache'.

LunarMist

Heh. The board was not accepting my posts, so I tried different avatators until it went through. ;)

ddrueding

Fixture
So now we are stuck with flakey mediocrity?

I suspect that they have found very few people will pay appropriately more for a higher-quality drive. It simply isn't something that the OC/tweaker/fanboi crowd cares about.

The rest of us get to choose between flakey mediocrity and super expensive enterprise stuff.

LunarMist

I want a new SSD that is faster than the X25-E with equal or better reliability. It is >2 years later. Why is there nothing yet? :sad:

ddrueding

Fixture
You can jump into the RevoDrive pool with me; they are very fast. OCZ is a liability, I understand that, but it hasn't bitten me yet, and I have at least 15 of these things.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I would continue to buy Intel's SSDs based on continued goodwill toward their products and the simplicity of customer service interactions. That is something much more valuable than a small performance difference between its product and whatever the performance leader happens to be at the moment.

Handruin

Administrator
I would continue to buy Intel's SSDs based on continued goodwill toward their products and the simplicity of customer service interactions. That is something much more valuable than a small performance difference between its product and whatever the performance leader happens to be at the moment.

I would agree with that in general, but I feel like Intel came in strong and sizzled a bit. When I want an Intel SSD, I want their controller chip that they developed. Now they've thrown that out the window for some reason and gone with Marvell? This feels like a bandage to a last minute design change to get in on the 6Gb SATA that they originally planned to miss out on because they didn't think people wanted or needed this. Now if they plan to leave this as a lower-end unit and then come out with a new high-end using their own controller, I might be ok with that.

What might be a nice change of events is if they incorporate their own future SSDs using their 10Gb Light Peak interface in some kind of internal connection and say FU to the 6Gb and even power the device through the internal interface.

LunarMist

You can jump into the RevoDrive pool with me; they are very fast. OCZ is a liability, I understand that, but it hasn't bitten me yet, and I have at least 15 of these things.

It is not 6GBps SATA though, correct?

LunarMist

Does or will anyone make a 6GBps SATA drive with SLC? That is the obvious preference for a SSD that will be used for heavy writes.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
I installed my first SSD last night. Did a clean install of Server 2008 R2.
Is there anything I have to do to get Trim to work.
Any other anomolies I should be watching for?

Crucial C300 64GB

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
What chipset? Was it set to SATA in the BIOS? No onboard RAID in use? Likely you are all set.

ddrueding

Fixture
Honestly, the OCZ boards still have an SATA interface between the flash and the RAID controller, but it is optimized better than I could do it, and the install is so darn clean.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Do SSDs do any prefetch read-caching or include any cache memory in the packaging? I am assuming that flash is slightly slower than RAM (CMOS?).

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Do SSDs do any prefetch read-caching or include any cache memory in the packaging? I am assuming that flash is slightly slower than RAM (CMOS?).

You have to dig through the specs, but most do include some cache in the order of 16-64MB. The new Intel 510 SSD has 128MB cache onboard, so would expect all new SSDs coming out will be similar in that regard.

Handruin

Administrator
It is different, not necessarily better. Is a fork better than a spoon? :flower:

That's a weird comparison question. It's not like the hard drive reads and writes anything other that data where as you may eat different types of food.

LunarMist

Sorry, I'm desperate and not making sense. I've not used the computer productively in almost two months, so it really doesn't matter anyway.

LunarMist

Sorry, I'm desperate and not making sense. I've not used the computer productively in almost two months, so it really doesn't matter anyway. :alien: