When to Build New System

Handruin

Administrator
I thought of David and Lunar when I read this article on building up a ZFS NAS/SAN device. I thought it might work well for David's VM farm, and also for Lunar's growing storage needs, you could get by with ZFS and data deduplication and extendability through the use of iSCSI for bulk storage. They make use of a nice combination of bulk storage in SATA while making use of RAM and SSDs for caching and performance. I enjoyed the article and seeing how they attempted to improve on their own efficiencies in their service provider model. Maybe there is something to take from this when moving forward with your next system(s)?

Handruin

Administrator
You could scale it back a bit, but the general idea is that you could have several stacks of storage and build up your network such that iSCSI is a focus. You could then add on to your storage array over time and not have to rebuild it so frequently. What's the size of your data that you have to manage? Are we talking 10-20TB or more?

I'm making a guess that you store and archive a lot of photography images, and doing so may benefit from having deduplication. You could remove the complexity of individual arrays for the offline archiving and have a smaller amount of high-speed storage for your online primary working environment.

BingBangBop

Storage is cool
Very cool!

But I worry about Oracle now owning Open Solaris and the long-term consequences.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Let me know if you'd like help with the build; I enjoy building beasts ;)

There is no money for beasts. The majority of the funds will be exhausted on the monitor. :pale:

If I spring for the big CPU, what can I buy for the remaining ~$1000 towards motherboard, RAM, video card (really cheap one) and case? I could probably reuse the same case, but it is nearly 10 years old and somewhat noisy. Thanks.

ddrueding

Fixture
A likely better choice. I'm just on an Intel kick recently, after having an issue with a Gigabyte board. They are still head and shoulders above the rest, though (I'm looking at you, ASUS).

LunarMist

Thanks. What is the deal with the RAM? I can't figure out the newfangled multipliers without a headache. Which speed rating is needed? Assuming I would get only 12GB, is 6x2 better than 3x4 for CPU overclocking? :monky:

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
I think so, but it wasn't clear to me if BSD supports all the same features as Solaris/Open Solaris and if it performs the same (better/worse).
IIRC, BSD trails Solaris feature set by a few months in implementation timeline.

OpenSolaris has been renamed as Solaris 11 Express, but the first release isn't out yet. You can however download all the source code from Oracle as needed, and this is what the other OpenSolaris based OS's have been doing and will continue to do. Nexenta for example takes the core of OpenSolaris, and replaces all the SYSV stuff with GNU stuff and add in their own ZFS toolkit. (Nexenta is what I like to recommend for serious home NAS systems). I believe Illumos is doing the same, but instead of providing a GNU userland, it is providing opensource equivalents for the missing SYSV stuff.

Under the deritives section here is a list of OpenSolaris based operating systems: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenSolaris

LunarMist

You could scale it back a bit, but the general idea is that you could have several stacks of storage and build up your network such that iSCSI is a focus. You could then add on to your storage array over time and not have to rebuild it so frequently. What's the size of your data that you have to manage? Are we talking 10-20TB or more?

I'm making a guess that you store and archive a lot of photography images, and doing so may benefit from having deduplication. You could remove the complexity of individual arrays for the offline archiving and have a smaller amount of high-speed storage for your online primary working environment.

I have 6x2TB of primary data drives (the WD2001FASS 7200 RPM drive is for WIP), backed up by another 6x2TB of individual drives. There are 5-8 other drives and additional complications, but the 6x2TB (~8TB filled) are the "live" data. Anything other than 1:1 filesync backup is not very practical as I am constantly creating, deleting, moving and renaming files.

Handruin

Administrator
Are the 6x2TB in an array or are you running individual drives? How important is the speed of that primary live data? I guess what I'm getting at, is would a NAS with NFS or iSCSI help to manage the storage situation? You could then build a new system with only the high speed SSDs that you need and then manage the bulk live data in a NAS elsewhere?

LunarMist

They are all individual drives. I have not been haopy with the GbE speeds in the Windows. :crap: A compounding issue is that the

LunarMist

... copying or outputting to a different drive is not possible with the array.

:cursin: stupid cutout

Handruin

Administrator
They are all individual drives. I have not been haopy with the GbE speeds in the Windows. :crap: A compounding issue is that the

I've seen fairly good results so far with Windows 7 and Gb speeds. How bad are the speeds you're seeing or what are you hoping to get during a file copy?

LunarMist

I want the speed on a single drive each way, so maybe double?

Handruin

Administrator
Without a significant investment into your network (maybe even 10Gb), you won't likely see those kinds of speeds, so you're right, Gb speed isn't going to meet your needs. :-(

Sol

Storage is cool
Given that 1Gb ethernet is actually 1Gb each way (Although most monitors I've seen tend to display utilization as though it's not so maybe I'm wrong) I would have thought that a pair of bonded 1Gb PCI-E NICs would give you give you roughly a full drives throughput each way. You'd probably have to buy a pair of Intel PCI-E NICs to do it on Windows (Or some other brand but it looks like they have to be the same) and then I guess you have to have the slots on the MB to put them in, but I wouldn't have thought it would be a major investment.

Handruin

Administrator
Given that 1Gb ethernet is actually 1Gb each way (Although most monitors I've seen tend to display utilization as though it's not so maybe I'm wrong) I would have thought that a pair of bonded 1Gb PCI-E NICs would give you give you roughly a full drives throughput each way. You'd probably have to buy a pair of Intel PCI-E NICs to do it on Windows (Or some other brand but it looks like they have to be the same) and then I guess you have to have the slots on the MB to put them in, but I wouldn't have thought it would be a major investment.

That would work for a point to point setup (assuming both ends have multiple NICs), but if you have multiple devices on your network, then a person would then have to team both client and server onto a switch that allows teaming of NICs. That is why i was thinking this could be a significant investment.

LunarMist

I would certainly do 3x4 to allow more RAM later. Why not go to 24GB now?

I'm assuming it is crazy expensive and/or unstable at high speeds. However, I still don't know what speed grade is needed for good perforamnce at a CPU speed of 4+GHz.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
I'm assuming it is crazy expensive and/or unstable at high speeds. However, I still don't know what speed grade is needed for good perforamnce at a CPU speed of 4+GHz.

I usually match the RAM speed to the CPU bus speed.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Last time I looked, DDR1066 covered most Intel CPUs; DDR1333 should cover all of them. I think AMD can use DDR1333 straight off the bat.

Note that I wrote this off the top of my head without any checking whatsoever. So feel free to look it up yourself.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
A quick clarification: I wouldn't be overclocking large amounts of RAM and DDR2000 and up isn't standard anyway.

LunarMist

I usually match the RAM speed to the CPU bus speed.

Sure, but I'm not familiar with the new multiplier system. Of course I'd like to keep the RAM in spec at 4GHz, and I don't want the multiplier too high if that reduces performance.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
[url=http://www.intel.com/support/processors/sb/CS-029913.htm]Intel[/url] said:
What is the maximum frequency for DDR3 memory when used with Intel® Core™ i7-900 processor series?
These processors support DDR3 memory with a maximum frequency of 1066 MHz. If faster DDR3 memory is used (such as 1333 MHz or 1600 MHz), it will be down-clocked to operate at 1066 MHz.

Note When using an Intel® Core™ i7 processor Extreme Edition on an Intel® Desktop Board DX58SO, system memory will default to 1066 MHz.

What is the maximum frequency for DDR3 memory when used with the Intel® Core™ i7-800 processor series, the Intel® Core™ i5-700 processor series, and the Intel® Core™ i5-600 processor series?
These processors support DDR3 memory with a maximum frequency of 1333 MHz. If faster DDR3 memory is used (such as 1600 MHz or higher), it will be down-clocked to operate at 1333 MHz.

Happy?

LunarMist

Ah crud, that part about the components was supposed to be posted in the "When to build a new system thread." :(

Handruin

Administrator
The CPU of course.:cyclop:

I wasn't sure, only because you mentioned OCing your potential new system. I wasn't happy with my stock i7 860 cooler. When running at 100% load, I was darn near the max temperature of the CPU and the noise was noticeable from the fan. If you're spending good money on the parts and want better cooling, I would recommend trying a better cooling system, but your system should run ok at stock speeds with the stock cooler.

LunarMist

Thanks. There are so many coolers. :queen: Which is a nice one for O/C that will not block the RAM and is controlled by the motherboard? I don't care if it is noisy for the 1% of the time under heavy load, but it should be reasonably quiet otherwise.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
If it's only going to be under heavy load 1% of the time, why on earth do you need a hex-core i7 overclocked to 4GHz?