When to Build New System

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
If it's only going to be under heavy load 1% of the time, why on earth do you need a hex-core i7 overclocked to 4GHz?

That 1% may be on the low side. ;)
Any operation that takes longer than 30 seconds can be improved upon, especially if it extends to minutes and hours. Yet some days we only surf the web or read e-mail which is barely utilizing the CPU.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
My new system rests inside a Compucase CI-6919 of a beautiful beige color. I had to use a 2005 DVD burner because beige optical drives no longer exist today. The enclosure is quite well made, but the rear system fan is very noisy. I had to unplug it to make the system's noise tolerable. Since the only moderately high-end component is the CPU, it doesn't produce enough heat to make the use of a case fan mandatory in order to keep the internal temperature low. The power supply fan suffice.

Even if burglars break in, they'll leave the computer there as it looks like a ten years old box. If it wasn't in my bedroom, I would plug the rear case fan and then it would also sound like a ten years old box.

700003.gif

LunarMist

My new system rests inside a Compucase CI-6919 of a beautiful beige color. I had to use a 2005 DVD burner because beige optical drives no longer exist today. The enclosure is quite well made, but the rear system fan is very noisy. I had to unplug it to make the system's noise tolerable. Since the only moderately high-end component is the CPU, it doesn't produce enough heat to make the use of a case fan mandatory in order to keep the internal temperature low. The power supply fan suffice.

Even if burglars break in, they'll leave the computer there as it looks like a ten years old box. If it wasn't in my bedroom, I would plug the rear case fan and then it would also sound like a ten years old box.

700003.gif

Hey, my case is an old beige one too. :) I like the color better than black, but I use a black optical drive drive.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
The bundled 'thermostatic' fans were indeed pretty crappy. I prolonged their otherwise limited life (and reduced the noise very considerably) by adding a $5 fan speed controller.

The main problem with those cases is the flap covering the front USB, 1394 and audio ports. People invariably kick it when the case is on the floor, it breaks off and is never seen again. And of course it sucks to have those ports near the floor where you can't see what you're doing.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Oh yeah, that's actually my current case on this long-suffering computer I'm usually on when I post here. It's beige and has both a matching beige DVD writer and floppy drive (no idea if it works), not to mention a Pioneer slot drive DVD reader (probably still works but is too noisy/slow/incompatible).

To be fair, these cases look far better in black. I have one of those, too. ;)

Compucase%206A19B%20HEC.jpg

Handruin

Administrator
Hey, my case is an old beige one too. :) I like the color better than black, but I use a black optical drive drive.

My case was also the same back in the day. When I recently moved, I got rid of that case.

LunarMist

My case was also the same back in the day. When I recently moved, I got rid of that case.

I don't like the case I have, but the newer Anzetecs all appear to have some complaint or another.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I think they have 48 different cases, so your question seems quite vague. I often sell their Elite RC 310 and 335 for basic computers. They look good and let me place decent power supplies in them, but they aren't quiet. They are basic enclosures (which is why I only sell them for entry-level computers).

Cooler Master also sells more elaborate enclosures like the HAF912 or the CM 690. Those cases are more or less equivalent to the Antec they derive from/copy.

LunarMist

What I would like does not seem to exist or there are numerous complaints. Perhaps I am not thinking clearly or it is hopeless. :( I am searching for a larger mid-tower case that has four 5.25" bays, accommodates six internal 3.5" hard drives, and has some space here and there to squeeze in 3-4 unmounted SSDs. Obviously the case needs decent airflow, but nothing excessive and should be reasonably quiet. At least three of the 3.5" drives need air cooling. All of the fans should be relatively straightforward to replace with typical 3-speed or otherwise manually adjustable varieties. I don't have any use for the clear plastic windows, but can cover them with aluminum foil if needed. Likewise I'm not a proponent of the case side fans. Usually I take them off and leave the grille open.

My current case is about 21" H x 8" W x 19" D. Anything taller than 23" will become a liability as the case is under a table and anything deeper than about 22" will place the mass of cables uncomfortably close to the wall. Case width does not present a space limitation, and I actually prefer a wide case to accept a large CPU cooler. The case should not be insanely heavy either. Usually I lay it on the side to open and work on it in place.

LunarMist

I think they have 48 different cases, so your question seems quite vague. I often sell their Elite RC 310 and 335 for basic computers. They look good and let me place decent power supplies in them, but they aren't quiet. They are basic enclosures (which is why I only sell them for entry-level computers).

Cooler Master also sells more elaborate enclosures like the HAF912 or the CM 690. Those cases are more or less equivalent to the Antec they derive from/copy.

I was considering the HAF922.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
What I would like does not seem to exist or there are numerous complaints. Perhaps I am not thinking clearly or it is hopeless. :( I am searching for a larger mid-tower case that has four 5.25" bays, accommodates six internal 3.5" hard drives, and has some space here and there to squeeze in 3-4 unmounted SSDs. Obviously the case needs decent airflow, but nothing excessive and should be reasonably quiet. At least three of the 3.5" drives need air cooling. All of the fans should be relatively straightforward to replace with typical 3-speed or otherwise manually adjustable varieties. I don't have any use for the clear plastic windows, but can cover them with aluminum foil if needed. Likewise I'm not a proponent of the case side fans. Usually I take them off and leave the grille open.

My current case is about 21" H x 8" W x 19" D. Anything taller than 23" will become a liability as the case is under a table and anything deeper than about 22" will place the mass of cables uncomfortably close to the wall. Case width does not present a space limitation, and I actually prefer a wide case to accept a large CPU cooler. The case should not be insanely heavy either. Usually I lay it on the side to open and work on it in place.

The old Antec SX-1040B would suite those requirements perfectly... pity they don't make them any more? (It's the case I currently have and using for my main box).

Here's a link to a review: http://www.elektrik-sheep.com/reviews/antec/sx1040B.shtml

Actually what about the Antec P183?
http://www.antec.com/Believe_it/product.php?id=MTgwOA==

LunarMist

My current case is an old beige Antec that looks much like the one shown. The two aspects I was hoping to improve upon were the fans and hard drive placement. I figured that a single 120 mm rear fan is better and quieter than the 2x80 mm fan configuration. The lower hard drive cage is always a hassle. It overhangs the motherboard and is difficult to remove without hitting something. Often some PCIe cards, etc. must be pulled first. Accessing the side-mounted SATA ports on a newer motherboard also looks to be a nightmare. Even when that drive cage is removed, there are still the fan wires to contend with as they stay with the drives, not the case. The SSDs hang out in the small open area near the bottom fan.

I would have to trash the door on the P183 for sure, and it looks like the front is very plasticy. Mainly I don't like the divider at the bottom and I can't figure out if a 3.5" drive can be placed in the small bay above it. If the case is so flimsy that the divider is needed at least it could be a large bar instead. Does anyone run 9 hards drives + optical in that case and find the wiring and access to be feasible for upgrades? The P193 has greater length, but also the same basic problems.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I am searching for a larger mid-tower case that has four 5.25" bays, accommodates six internal 3.5" hard drives, and has some space here and there to squeeze in 3-4 unmounted SSDs. Obviously the case needs decent airflow, but nothing excessive and should be reasonably quiet. At least three of the 3.5" drives need air cooling.
[...]
Anything taller than 23" will become a liability as the case is under a table and anything deeper than about 22" will place the mass of cables uncomfortably close to the wall.
That's the closest I can find : Silverstone SST-FT01B

FT01-3-4-1.jpg

It has almost everything you ask for. You simply have to find a way to fit your 3-4 SSD in one 5.25 bay and one internal 3.5 bay.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
It has almost everything you ask for. You simply have to find a way to fit your 3-4 SSD in one 5.25 bay and one internal 3.5 bay.

I usually shove SSDs between the drive bays and the right side panel of the chassis. They're cushioned by all the other cables and crap I stick back there so they aren't moving around. That beats screwing around with 2.5" to 3.5" adapters.

Mercutio

That would be a spiffy tool for a modest backup system, but I haven't seen a rackmount machine with a 5.25" drive bay in ages.

ddrueding

Fixture
For cheap servers, where I just need a computer in a rackmount chassis, I use this one. It has 6 5.25" bays in it. Having 20 2.5" SSDs and 4 2.5" HDDs for backup would be a pretty potent VM storage array.

Mercutio

My rack systems really aren't loud at all. They're not as quiet as my desktop PCs but they're bolted in their racks with the door shut. I can only hear them when I'm standing right next to their enclosures.

Swapping the factory fans makes a huge difference though.

LunarMist

No, I don't want a rack system. There would be no place for it to fit or to work on it.

LunarMist

Stock cooler for which of the three components you listed? They all have coolers. :) The CPU should suffice, but might be noisy and not do as good of a job. You could benefit from an after-market especially if you plan to OC it.

I will be using this HSF. I will use the Antec Soltana II for now, until I decide where to go in caseland. I can't decide what to do since the RAM is MIA, but I need to put everything together this weekend.

LunarMist

I'm sure a rack case would fit somewhere with long cables and/or remotes, but I want the computer near my left leg for direct access.

LunarMist

You operate the optical drives and buttons on the case with your left toes? :rofl:

What? Maybe Tony's arboreal alterego could manage, but I use the left hand for direct access. Primarily I turn on/off the large red rocker switch for some of the drives; that is easy to reach without looking. The computer power is remote controlled via mini X-10 RF xmitter located a few inches below the mouse pad. I can also easily turn on/off the modem box and external hard drive enclosure from that remote.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I will use the Antec Soltana II for now, until I decide where to go in caseland.
What's wrong with the Silverstone FT01B combined with the ICY Dock MB994SP-4S? It covers all your needs. You have your 4 5.25" bays, your 6 internal 3.5" bays, space for 4 2.5" SSD inside the ICY Dock. The case has good ventilation and is relatively quiet. The overall price is a tad on the high side (~255$+shipping), but for someone would his wiling to spend 75$ on a CPU heatsink, it should be acceptable.

Really, what's wrong with it?