Windows 10

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Meanwhile, the Watchguard VPN connection doesn't show in the VPN connection manager, despite being active and working. Killing the process in task manager remains the only way to close it, except of course a reboot.
BTW, that issue has dissapeared from the RTM release.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Also, it's pretty hard but not impossible to get a legal, single desktop Windows Enterprise Edition product key. Anybody who has Technet/MSDN probably has some for older Windows editions. They're also frequently sold in campus bookstores. Since older editions of Windows Enterprise aren't eligible for free upgrades to 10, it doesn't really help to go looking for a copy.

That's not exactly an option for me. I can wait a while and see how the 10 works out. 8.1 will still be sold for the remainder of 2015, correct?

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Pretty thrilled with how fast it boots. Still a lot of huge touch interface left behind but at least the stock start is reasonable now, and goes straight to desktop by default. I wonder if there is any way in heck I can get my XP mode on this...

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Pretty thrilled with how fast it boots. Still a lot of huge touch interface left behind but at least the stock start is reasonable now, and goes straight to desktop by default. I wonder if there is any way in heck I can get my XP mode on this...

IIRC, XP Mode is a VHD that's packaged in a ~700MB .MSU file or something. If you can find the .VMX and .VHD, you can copy them to another machine and either re-import them to Hyper-V or migrate them in to Virtualbox if you'd rather.

LunarMist

So now the spyware is baked into the OS? Perhaps that makes it easier for the Google and the Chinese and the govt. to control everything, but I don't like it. :(

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Actually another reason to be wary of Windows 10 coming from OEMs... MS no longer requires OEMs to allow users to turn off secure boot... While this won't effect those of us that build our own desktops, it may effect those that buy laptops (that come with Win10) and find they can't install anything else, at least with not jumping through heaps of hurdles... (And that includes rolling back to Win7 as well, not just affecting users of GNU/Linux and *BSD systems).

http://arstechnica.com/information-...ke-the-secure-boot-alt-os-lock-out-a-reality/
http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/...t-mandatory-locks-out-other-operating-systems

LunarMist

So "WinTel" laptops will pretty much become just as locked as Apple's aberrations.

I suspect there will be corporate models that support 8 or even 7 for quite a while.

I may never buy another laptop, given the limited storage capability in the ultraportable sizes. :(

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
So "WinTel" laptops will pretty much become just as locked as Apple's aberrations.

Like LM, I suspect corporate models won't be as locked down allowing for other OSes (especially Dell and HP as they support RHEL/Suse), but general consumer stuff you find at the local big retailers will certainly be locked down...

Mercutio

So now the spyware is baked into the OS? Perhaps that makes it easier for the Google and the Chinese and the govt. to control everything, but I don't like it. :(

Since Windows 7, there has been an application called Problem Steps Recorder that makes a JPG every time time there's a user-generated change to a window on-screen. It's amazingly useful for writing documentation, but I'm sure bad guys could also use THAT to spy on users.

Creating a stupidly large video file of a Windows screen wouldn't be the top of my list of concerns, especially since there are plenty of ways to grab a screen capture instead.

With regard to secure boot, I suspect that it will mostly be a problem for shitty vomit box machines, with Acer group and HP probably leading the race to the bottom of the leak in the septic tank that is the shitty vomit box PC market.

ddrueding

Fixture
1. Only if you have contacts that you don't actually trust.
2. Only if you have passwords saved on your computer.

I don't see Lunar being effected by either of these.

mollyjames

What is this storage?
Ohhh I am still using window 8 :pale: soon I will update my operating system and see what windows 10 offers me....

Mercutio

I've done four upgrades so far and I really haven't had any issues at all with Windows. The only real problem I've run in to is that Office 2003 doesn't install, but I don't think that's even remotely unexpected.

The Media Creation tool works really well and yes, Lunar, you can just download the ISO and use it someplace else.

LunarMist

I've done four upgrades so far and I really haven't had any issues at all with Windows. The only real problem I've run in to is that Office 2003 doesn't install, but I don't think that's even remotely unexpected.

The Media Creation tool works really well and yes, Lunar, you can just download the ISO and use it someplace else.

I month try that download, when I'm in another state/country for a few days. I suspect the ISO size will be enormous. ;)
What is the oldest version of Office that works with Win 10?

Mercutio

Office 2007. The ISO file size is 3GB or 6GB depending whether you want one or both the 32 and/or 64 bit editions.

LunarMist

Office 2007. The ISO file size is 3GB or 6GB depending whether you want one or both the 32 and/or 64 bit editions.

Thanks. Meh, the download does not restart after being stopped. I'll revisit it in Q4.

Mercutio

And in the "WTF Microsoft?" category, my Thinkpad, which didn't have any issues prior on the Technical Preview up to the RTM, now doesn't play sound at all and shuts down when told to restart. I'm also missing some drivers, most importantly for my USB 3 card.

I was able to upgrade directly to a licensed copy from a clean Eval install.

If you're trying to do a clean install using a legacy CoA, you can skip all the time prompts to enter your product key at install time. The buttons look greyed out but they aren't.

Mercutio

Something I've run in to now are machines that appear to activate and then lose activation status on a restart. I don't know what the issue is. These are random home machines that were updated from 7 or 8.1.

ddrueding

Fixture
Least useful error ever.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Something.png
    Something.png
    29.7 KB · Views: 147

sedrosken

Florida Man
Website
sedrosken.xyz
I'm on the full version but I am experiencing some odd performance issues in several older games that worked fine even in the previews. I'm going to try the new Windows 10 driver nVidia made available to me just a couple hours ago (release date is exactly 7/29) and see if maybe that fixes it.

ddrueding

Fixture
Did the in-place upgrade using the media creation toolkit on my main rig (Home1). After the download, it took about 45 minutes to complete. Classic Shell complained a bit on restart, I should have uninstalled it before the upgrade (I did right after). Needed to download and install the new nVidia driver, and reconfigure my sound. Other than that all is well; all my programs work and docs are right where I left them.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Thanks much, Chewy.

Very troubling. Of course it was too good to be true; schweet MS, offering free updates to the latest & greatest OS. I'm on a metered connection, so I'll have to turn off the bit-torrent feature. Plus all the workarounds for the privacy rape.

Thankfully, I haven't updated yet, and will wait a few months to do so. Perhaps things will get better. Or worse.

In the worst case scenario, I will have to learn to install and use Linux. Fortunately I did download the last release of Truecrypt for Linux even though I've never used Linux other than to play with. It's what I use to protect my personal data, and despite all the brouhaha about it recently, it's good enough for me.

Stereodude

Not really a
I'll let you all beta test the RTM version. I'm not going near it with a barge pole based on what I've read so far. It doesn't sound like it's quite ready.

ddrueding

Fixture
Working perfectly for me? No tricks, no looking for things that moved, just easy. The error was from when I did something they didn't want me to do (create a Win10 thumbdrive from a Win8.1 machine).

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
I'm on a metered connection, so I'll have to turn off the bit-torrent feature.
I think that's part of the issue as well, most of the world are on metered connections. (Unlimited plans while they exist are still fairly rare in Australia).

While I could see this technology as beneficial if it was restricted to a LAN setup (that is users on the same LAN can share updates), it's worrisome that it extends outside of your own area of control.

LunarMist

Working perfectly for me? No tricks, no looking for things that moved, just easy. The error was from when I did something they didn't want me to do (create a Win10 thumbdrive from a Win8.1 machine).

I'm curious how many apps you have installed and if any are older 32-bit ones. Every time I change OS some of the older apps or devices no longer work. Will my Win 7 printer drivers be OK?