Windows 10

Stereodude

Not really a
It's not that hard to unplug an Ethernet cable during install or decline to enter your WPA2 key until you're finished.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
The sad thing is that some insurance agents I do for work just last week got instructions that they are to only visit certain insurers' sites with IE mode Edge. I tried to explain why this was a terrible idea in 2023 and yesterday I forwarded them the same news article about it going away. But if a company can't be bothered to update its web site in eight years, maybe they aren't a company anyone should deal with. I suppose next they'll get instructions to set up Windows 7 virtual machines. That'll be fun.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I surely hope that the actual records are kept on some controlled computers somewhere else and the local junk is just for access and office work.
I have a countdown clock for Windows 10. After that I'm hoping I can mentally gravitate to

LunarMist

Spybot Anti-Deacon has gone whack. Now every time the FireFox starts it starts asking all sorts of questions, and if you skip all that stuff it does it again next time it is opened. The defect is caused by SpyBot 3.9. SpyBot 3.8 is fine.

Mercutio

Do you have the paid version of Spybot or just the freebie? Firefox isn't being doing anything differently from normal on a freshly installed Windows 10 + Spybot (with Anti-beacon) for me.

It did take 40 minutes for signature updates to download, though.

Mercutio

I just checked using the freebie, but Safer-Networking applications have been obnoxious on Windows 10 since it came out. I believe Windows Defender was even marking Anti-Beacon as unwanted software for a minute, probably because Anti-Beacon disables the telemetry stuff Microsoft insists on using.

Mercutio

Today in tales of oh my god I can't believe this exists, I have found a PC that is incompatible with SSDs. Yes, all of them.
And I've gotten Pentium 2 PCs to boot Windows off SSDs on shitty $20 PCI (note the lack of an "e" there) Syba controllers. I mean this does not work. I've tried six different brands of drives in capacities as small as 64GB and as large as 4TB.

The truth is, this is not something I HAVE to fix. I'm trying to do somebody a favor and it has turned into one of the labors of Hercules, but it does not make sense that it doesn't work.

The HP M7-1015dx is a 17" laptop with a 3rd generation i7 mobile and an internal DVD drive, and for that reason, one of my customer's mom wants to keep it forever. It also has firmware with basically zero user-configurable options beyond the boot order. The old HDD died. Since then I have determined the following:

The internal SATA ports are operating in RAID rather than AHCI mode. What kind of RAID? No idea. HP doesn't list it as needing any additional drivers and Windows 7 and 10 both work so long as they're running off either USB or an internal mechanical drive and they work in either UEFI or BIOS mode. Linux? Same story. I installed Mint. UEFI. BIOS. But still only with works when it's running on mechanical drives or USB. Linux is perfectly happy to run on USB, but Meemaw isn't down for that, so I gotta make Windows work.

Here's the hilarious part: I've downloaded the only available firmware update for this stupid thing on four different systems. Doesn't matter. The firmware update file on HP's web site seems to be corrupt. Thanks HP for being exactly what I always knew you to be. And this is not a Firmware I've ever seen before. InsydeH20? What ever are you? "The most widely used UEFI BIOS in Production" according to its own web site. Not an Award or AMI in sight.

LunarMist

So install an HDD. I'm sure you have one that is better that what a 2012 computer had.