dSLR thread

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Which camera rental places do you guys have good experiences with? I'd love to try out the 1DX II...

I prefer lensrentals.com.
Unfortunately the 1D series has become a very special purpose body lately. :(
You should consider waiting for the 5D IV or 5Dx or whatever it would be called.

ddrueding

Fixture
I don't plan on buying anything for a while, but I do have a vacation coming up in a month, and it would be nice to play with some fancier gear to make the vacation more interesting.

LunarMist

The 1DX series is a workhorse body for capturing good images under very difficult conditions and very good images under good conditions. Rumors are that Canon has finally improved the dark noise to an acceptable level with ADC. However, I suspect that a pedestrian D750 could produce better images under many conditions.

If you want something fancy, then rent an a7R II and a few Zeiss lenses. ;) It is a relative PITA to use, but results are amazing. I've used everything from Hawkeye Brownies to Fuji 6x9 cm (120/220) all-mechanical, no metering clunkers to Mamiya M7 to half frame 135, 135 RF and SLR, etc. In the end the image quality always wins out, whether it is the highest quality or just getting something.

The 1DX will not be out in 1 month. Maybe try the 5DsR.;)

ddrueding

Fixture
RED is too much for me, even just a week rental would be thousands.

5DsR and a 35/1.4II? Not sure the 17-40/4 will be sharp enough, but the 24/1.4 should be, no? And the 100-400II should be fine as well?

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
Which camera rental places do you guys have good experiences with? I'd love to try out the 1DX II...

But, but....DD you don't even like the extra weight of the battery grip. A 1DX II will weight a ton. ;)

I've never rented before. I've seen Lunar mention lensrental.com so if I couldn't find a good local place I'd go there.

D810 rental. 14 day rental with "lenscap+" insurance $324
14-24mm rental. 14 day rental with "lenscap+" insurance $263
MB-D12 Battery Grip. 14 day rental with "lenscap+" insurance $97
{click pricing tab}

$324
$263
$ 97
$ 30 shipping.
===
$714 total.

LunarMist

RED is too much for me, even just a week rental would be thousands.

5DsR and a 35/1.4II? Not sure the 17-40/4 will be sharp enough, but the 24/1.4 should be, no? And the 100-400II should be fine as well?

The 17-40 is not very good on most FX cameras and I'd expect the corners to be very weak towards the wide end at higher resolution.
The 24/1.4 II is very good, but the 24/1.4 is not as good. Maybe it's sufficient stopped down.
I find the 100-400 II to be very good on the 5DsR. It's my preferred small setup for wildlife.

LunarMist

But, but....DD you don't even like the extra weight of the battery grip. A 1DX II will weight a ton. ;)

I've never rented before. I've seen Lunar mention lensrental.com so if I couldn't find a good local place I'd go there.

D810 rental. 14 day rental with "lenscap+" insurance $324
14-24mm rental. 14 day rental with "lenscap+" insurance $263
MB-D12 Battery Grip. 14 day rental with "lenscap+" insurance $97
{click pricing tab}

$324
$263
$ 97
$ 30 shipping.
===
$714 total.

Why would you use a battery grip for a 14-24? Anyway the Canon 11-24 is newt king of the UW lenses, though that comes at a price.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
Any feedback on prophotorental.com. A two week rental of a D810+grip+14-24mm lens + insurance = $496.50. $200 something cheaper than lensrental.com. Free shipping too.

Lunar do the rental companies run a credit check on you or ask for a SSN (or a kidney) if you are a first time renter? Huge deposit?

Well I won't be going local for my camera rental.
D810 for Sweet Jesus $450/week. That's $900 for two weeks!?!?!?!!! almost 3x lensrental.com. The 14-24mm is reasonable @ 90/week.

LunarMist

Any feedback on prophotorental.com. A two week rental of a D810+grip+14-24mm lens + insurance = $496.50. $200 something cheaper than lensrental.com. Free shipping too.

Lunar do the rental companies run a credit check on you or ask for a SSN (or a kidney) if you are a first time renter? Huge deposit?

All you should need is a CC with enough credit. I'm not sure if they place a hold for the full value of the product, but check the website. I recall they confirm the account the first time, but it was a simple process. They also offer to sell most products at reduced prices after the rental.

LunarMist

I forgot about the first part. I'm not familiar with that company, though the leader looks rather young for my taste. They probably have lower overhead and are trying to start up.

An important advantage of Lensrentals is that they have sophisticated equipment for testing lenses and an in-house repair shop.
They also regularly replace gear by having a used sales company (lensauthority.com). Some rental shops keep gear until it is unreliable or subsequent renters complain.
I do have concerns that they may expand too much or be sold to a large corporation and lose the customer service.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
5DsR and a 35/1.4II?

The 35/1.4 ii is sharper than the Otus 85/1.4, at least in the center.

Why would you use a battery grip for a 14-24? Anyway the Canon 11-24 is newt king of the UW lenses, though that comes at a price.

I don't care about the weight of the battery grip, I just like the way the body+grip fits/feels in my hands. Maybe with the little bit bigger body of a D810 vs D610 I wouldn't need it. The 11-24 is amazing but I'm planning on renting Nikon for compatibility with my other lenses and system familiarity.

An important advantage of Lensrentals is that they have sophisticated equipment for testing lenses and an in-house repair shop.
They also regularly replace gear by having a used sales company (lensauthority.com). Some rental shops keep gear until it is unreliable or subsequent renters complain.
I do have concerns that they may expand too much or be sold to a large corporation and lose the customer service.

Seems like Lensrental is the best option. The local places ---local to me in Phoenix area, and local to my friend in Cali--- have comparable prices on lens rentals but their body rentals are insane. $450/week for a D810!?!?! A TWO WEEK rental w/INS at Lensrental is $324. I'll do some research and see if the "risk" of using prophotorental.com to save $200 is worth it.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
They are testing very sharp lenses with a low-res camera body? I guess nobody uses proper test equipment anymore.

Yeah the 5DSr would be the camera of choice to test Canon lenses with nowadays. However any new test with a 50mp body would not be directly comparable with older tests done on a 5D3. Using the old body does at least allow people to compare lenses on the same body, as I doubt Lenstip, or anybody else for that matter, will re-do all their lens test with a 5DSr body.

If anything, the 35/1.4ii and Otuses would probably test even better vs comparable lenses on a 5DSr body.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
The proper thing to do would be to test with both bodies until there is a sufficient body of data to drop the lower res body and rely on inference.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
I'll do some research and see if the "risk" of using prophotorental.com to save $200 is worth it.

I found a quirk in their ordering system. A 10-day rental cost MORE than a 14-day rental. Wait? what?!?

Here are their D810 rental prices:

6 days or less: $35.00/day
7 - 13 days: $26.25/day
14 days or more: $17.50/day

I only need the rental for 9-10 days:
9*26.25=$236.25.
10*26.25=$262.50.
14*17.5=$245.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

LunarMist

I found a quirk in their ordering system. A 10-day rental cost MORE than a 14-day rental. Wait? what?!?

Here are their D810 rental prices:

6 days or less: $35.00/day
7 - 13 days: $26.25/day
14 days or more: $17.50/day

I only need the rental for 9-10 days:
9*26.25=$236.25.
10*26.25=$262.50.
14*17.5=$245.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

The rates decrease for longer rentals and IIRC there is a discount for starting the rental on Tuesday. Did you use the calendar thing?

LunarMist

The proper thing to do would be to test with both bodies until there is a sufficient body of data to drop the lower res body and rely on inference.

The proper thing would not to use a camera for testing, but everyone is too cheap or lazy. :(

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
The rates decrease for longer rentals and IIRC there is a discount for starting the rental on Tuesday. Did you use the calendar thing?

Those prices are for prophotorental.com, not lensrental. I added everything to a cart using the calendar thing. I initially used 14-day, but when I found out my trip will be a bit shorter I put 11 days in. 11-day was more expensive. Hmmm.

I'll try and shoot'em an email asking what's up.

Edit: I sent this feedback to ProPhotoRental to see what's up:

"I want to rent a Nikon D810+grip+14-24mm lens + added insurance in April of this year for a 2-week trip. I added said items into the shopping cart for a 2-week rental and the total was $496.50.

My trip has been shortened a bit so I added same items into a shopping cart for a 10-day rental and the cost was about $100 MORE?!?

14-day rental $500
10-day rental $600

I'm confused."

Last edited:

LunarMist

I suggest having the equipment a day or two in advance for testing and calibration.
Obviously it depends on the trip cost and your risk tolerance.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
The new Pentax K-1, 36MP, full-frame sensor camera with built in WiFi & GPS, IBIS (in body image stabilization) and sensor pixel-shift technology sounds really interesting, especially for only $1800.

Their full frame lens selection is lacking, and their new 15-30mm f/2.8 is a Tamron re-branded lens. Like Nikon you can use their DX lenses on the camera with a crop factor or use their older film-era lenses.

Lots of interesting features in the camera but Ricoh will need to ramp up their full frame lens lineup quickly if they want their new full frame to be a success.

LunarMist

The new Pentax K-1, 36MP, full-frame sensor camera with built in WiFi & GPS, IBIS (in body image stabilization) and sensor pixel-shift technology sounds really interesting, especially for only $1800.

Their full frame lens selection is lacking, and their new 15-30mm f/2.8 is a Tamron re-branded lens. Like Nikon you can use their DX lenses on the camera with a crop factor or use their older film-era lenses.

Lots of interesting features in the camera but Ricoh will need to ramp up their full frame lens lineup quickly if they want their new full frame to be a success.

Given the continually dwindling market, I'm not sure what the point is now. Does Sigma make Pentax FF mount lenses for example?

LunarMist

That was a long time ago. Would it be different today if an editor deleted rejected files or should everyone keep everything forever?

Striker

Learning Storage Performance
That was a long time ago. Would it be different today if an editor deleted rejected files or should everyone keep everything forever?

I would say it is vastly different. If the photographer is sending stuff to the editor, is he going to send all his stuff, or copies of his best/most relevant stuff?
If the photographer decides to delete his own bad pictures, it is him deciding it wasn't good enough, not some doofus punching holes in negatives.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Why is the Pentax 15-30 a rebrabded Tamron? Last time I looked, Pentax and Tokina were different divisions of the same clongomerate. Is there no Tokina lens suitable? (Haven't kept up lately, I confess.)

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
Canon will finally join Sigma, Tamron and Nikon and produce a "consumer" super tele-zoom. Looks like the 200-600mm f/4.5-5.6 rumor from a few months ago is actually going to happen. The guesstimated cost is $1700. Will not be "L" glass at that price point.

Blurbs here and the patent application here.

If Canon's 200-600mm is as good as the Nikon or Sigma (sport version) they will have a real winner on their hands. This lens will reduce the allure of a D500/Nikkor 200-500 kit for the budding adv-amateur birders/wildlife folks.

I'll be 600mm jealous, that's for sure. Maybe I should have spent the extra bucks and got the Sigma/sport version instead of the Nikkor.

LunarMist

Canon will finally join Sigma, Tamron and Nikon and produce a "consumer" super tele-zoom. Looks like the 200-600mm f/4.5-5.6 rumor from a few months ago is actually going to happen. The guesstimated cost is $1700. Will not be "L" glass at that price point.

Blurbs here and the patent application here.

If Canon's 200-600mm is as good as the Nikon or Sigma (sport version) they will have a real winner on their hands. This lens will reduce the allure of a D500/Nikkor 200-500 kit for the budding adv-amateur birders/wildlife folks.

I'll be 600mm jealous, that's for sure. Maybe I should have spent the extra bucks and got the Sigma/sport version instead of the Nikkor.

I really hope Canon will not start producing mediocre tele lenses. The Nikkor is reasonably not going past 500mm. The Sigmas have a lot of optical compromises and they are f/6.3 lenses. 600/5.6 requires at least a 112 mm front element, which is large and costly. I'd much prefer 100-400 II IQ, but I just don't see that happening for less than double that proposed price.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
I really hope Canon will not start producing mediocre tele lenses. The Nikkor is reasonably not going past 500mm. The Sigmas have a lot of optical compromises and they are f/6.3 lenses. 600/5.6 requires at least a 112 mm front element, which is large and costly. I'd much prefer 100-400 II IQ, but I just don't see that happening for less than double that proposed price.

I don't think it will be mediocre with a $1700 price point. Definitely will not have the IQ of the 100-400 ii, but it should be at least in the same class as the Nikkor 200-500 and the Sigma/sport for it to entice any buyers. 300 additional dollars over the price of the Nikkor should allow Canon to produce a 600mm f/5.6 Vs (500mm f/5.6-Nikkor) or (600mm f/6.3-Sigma). Seems reasonable to me.

Canon already makes an 200-600* f/5.6 L lens. It costs $11k.

*actually 200-560mm.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
Trip Post-Morton

Air Miles: 18,000 in 8 jet segments and 5 light aircraft segments
Other Travel: Boat and funky off-road vehicles
Exposures: 29,303 (771GB)
Physical Damage/Loss: 1 body/lens in the tidal pool, 1 tripod foot missing, ThinkTank cover over the cliff
Personal Injury: 2 bird (raptor) cranial assault impacts, 1 arm dislocation, 1 testicular trauma

I cannot disclose the locations for two years. :cool:

OK its been two years. Where did you go?